Potting Angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting Angle

When I line up a shot say a high black I walk down to see the spot I must hit the black.
    I then walk back up to address the cue ball.
    Am I supposed to keep my eyes on the black ball as I walk back to address the cue ball?
    38 in a Tournament
    98 in a Lineup

Potting Angle

I'm not sure about "supposed to" but I walk to behind the object ball (any object ball not just Black) visualise the spot I want to aim at. As I walk back to the cue ball I do still look at that spot, when directly behind the cue ball I visualise the line of shot from the cue ball to the spot. Only as I drop down to the cue ball do I change my sight to the cue ball itself to ensure I have the cue tip at the right point on the cue ball. Then eyes back to the spot I want to aim at, then proceed with cue delivery procedure.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Oh no, not again...lol..
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

Potting Angle

me or leapfrog

Comment

No you dont need to keep looking at it. Normally you do that on high black or say for that matter any shot in to a blind pocket so when you go and look at it from standing straight behind it ... this is only to give the brain a reference for calculation for the angle or to give your brain a clearer view or clarity of shot.

When I do that I see the spot and there and then and imagine e.g. its a quarter ball shot. Then forget about it and come back to the cue ball and do my drill and get my line of aim and sight and then go down and play it normally. The blind has a clearer angle to calculate and helps you to pot properly.
          "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

DeanH

I tried this method today and It works a treat.
            Although it will take me a while to get used of it as I have played many years without using this method.
            Onwards and upwards from here me thinks!!
            38 in a Tournament
            98 in a Lineup

Comment

with the caveat that i'm a <50 break player...

I find experimenting moving to the left and right and see if you can visualise the potting angle better. sometimes I "naturally" stand in the wrong spot and it becomes clearer when I stand to the left or right.

I think this is especially so on pots with greater angle, my brain seems to want to stand in a direct line between the 2 balls rather than on the line of aim.
              Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                me or leapfrog
                No, not you, Dean. It's just we have so many threads for the same sort of questions..All good fun..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Potting Angle

I thought so

Comment

Originally Posted by Leapfrog11 View Post
                    DeanH

I tried this method today and It works a treat.
                    Although it will take me a while to get used of it as I have played many years without using this method.
                    Onwards and upwards from here me thinks!!
                    It will take time. That is to say "table time"
                    All I will say is enjoy yourself, be comfortable, be focused, and (again) enjoy playing a nice number of shots

Comment

Cheers m8

I got a 2nd round tourney coming up next week so will hopefully be in better shape by then.

Gotta really improve my safety though its terrible at d moment was much better at it before.
                      38 in a Tournament
                      98 in a Lineup

Comment

Working...
                      X