Gradual or Sudden Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
    I find that when I am playing badly, I tend to blame my cue action or similar, but in actual fact most of the time it is my shot preparation which is letting me down. I am either not really aiming (not consciously finding the spot to hit and the line of aim) or getting sloppy in my walk in (not standing directly behind the ball and sliding in from the side) or I'm simply rushing things and not giving myself time to do all the above.
    That's exactly what happens to me - I know I have the ability to be of a 'certain' standard, as I go through periods -albeit short periods - of potting really great shots, and knocking in 40 breaks, then almost immediately reverting back to 3 or 4 ball breaks.

It's a really hard thing to do, and I just seem to get back in to old habits. I think a wee break from the table can do the world of good - Have a walk around the club, nip outside, whatever, just to reset the mind and relax the shoulded muscles a little.

Comment

I was reading Jimmy White's 'Snooker Masterclass' (good book) and he says there are 5 stages:

Stage 1: breaks 1-25 "you are a beginner, or your cue action is deplorable, - probably both"

Stage 2: breaks 26-39 "you are now playing better than half the players in the world"

Stage 3: breaks 40-69 "This is the tough one", "you are going to have to practice like mad"

Stage 4: breaks 70-99 "no matter how much dedication you have, it has to be married to God-given ability"

Stage 5: breaks over 100 "Even with hard training and your natural gift, finding these extra two blacks will probably take you two years"

Looks like I have long way to go!
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Stage 2 that is just about dead on. I practice my heart out and I am still in stage two. I guess all I can do is keep working at it if I choose to pick the cue back up. My aiming and sighting are very good and my cue action is fairly sound but my ability to run 40 is just not there. Cannot seem to find a good practice for building breaks. Doing a line up does not seem to help at all. I have run 72 in a line up and can normally run at least 50. I have an Ipad coming tomorrow so I am going to get the Stephen Hendry App and try that. Who knows.
        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
          Stage 2 that is just about dead on. I practice my heart out and I am still in stage two. I guess all I can do is keep working at it if I choose to pick the cue back up.
          Pick the cue back up and keep at it, you can get to the next stage!! Just try to enjoy the game rather than get frustrated with it.

Maybe try the line-up with less reds (bigger gaps) and concentrate on your position.
          My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

Thanks that's an idea. Yea with all those reds on the table you just keep potting what ever is in front of you.
            " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
            " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
            http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
              Thanks that's an idea. Yea with all those reds on the table you just keep potting what ever is in front of you.
              No problem. I have started to do it after the suggestion from a decent player at the club. It just makes you think a bit more about where you really want the cue-ball for the next shot. He also suggested that I play more billiards to improve my snooker. I hope it helps!

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                Pick the cue back up and keep at it, you can get to the next stage!! Just try to enjoy the game rather than get frustrated with it.

Maybe try the line-up with less reds (bigger gaps) and concentrate on your position.
                I tried this today, albeit on the pool table downstairs at work. It forces you to plan the shot more, which will help with break building no end I'm sure. I think for any player who can clear 80% of a full line of reds, this is a good next step. Once they can clear the reds with gaps, I think they'll find themselves clearing a full line of reds more often.
                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Working...
                X