A sudden breakthrough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sudden breakthrough?

Something interesting happened to me today. I was practicing solo for about 3 hours. For background info, my objective now is to get fluency is my cueing, and to just pot ball after ball. So I line up all 21 balls between black and brown and try to pot all of them in one go (i.e. 21 pots in a row). My best is 20 pots (i.e. one ball left), with my overall average increasing to the last 4-5 balls. I also practice the 'line-up' with 5 reds between black and pink spot (with my average also increasing to 3 black, and making 4 blacks occasionally, and 6 blacks is my best). I've been doing this for the last 2 months. During this time I've been working on my cueing, sighting, stance etc. To give you some background on my level of play, in a match, my highest break is like 30 plus (made many many years ago, and I seldom make breaks above 20, so I'm a novice for sure).

Anyway, in the last 1.5 hours today, I told myself let's try a longer back pause. So I pause for 1-2 seconds, then pot the ball. I'm definitely looking at only the object ball when I forward swing. I found that my potting improved. I occasionally 'forgot' and out of bad habit when back to my normal very short pause (but still a pause, say 0.5-1 second), but this time I took the pause to the extreme and held the cue back for even up to 3-4 seconds. Just holding the cue there for a long time before making the forwardswing. After awhile I was consistently pausing for up to 2 seconds, total standstill before I pushed my forearm forward for the forward swing.

To cut a long story shot, I began to pot almost every ball in sight. To give a comparison, if my potting was a 3/10 previously, it was now like 7-8/10 (NOT that I was only potting 3 out of 10 balls I tried. It's just a scale to give a comparison of the improvement). It was way better. On my 21 balls line up practice, I was getting down to the last few balls more regularly. I tried potting black of the spot, and all the high blacks that were 50/50 to me previously were now all going in. I tried potting blacks of the spot, and hardly missed, only not being able to proceed because i was out of position to hold the black for the next black.

I then tried some long straight blues (wondering whether I was cueing straight). Once again, I held the pause to a total standstill, then while looking at the object ball I just pushed forward. The ball went straight in. I tried another 4-5 more long straight shots, and 2 more entered, and the rest missed at the jaws. So I was pleasantly surprise that I was cueing decently straight.

The thing is, I was potting so fluidly that I did not even need to consciously check the line of aim, focus on BOC etc. On the high black and all the other pots, I just stood based on experience on what the correct angle is (i.e. I was still sizing up the line of aim, but not so methodically as I previously did, and more instinctual), and when I was down and aiming I could just 'feel' and see that the angle was right and the pot would be right. And when I was looking at the object ball during the pause and the forward swing, I did NOT focus on a single BOB point. I just looked at the whole object ball and 'read' the angle as correct.

Also, I was getting a lot more cue action with this longer pause i.e. I could get so much more screw back distance, and with control.

I really hope I can repeat this again, and that it's not a once off phenomena when the moons aligned. I believe if I can pot like how I did today, I can definitely take my game to the next level because I was potting so confidently. Hardly anything missed. Now, of course I did not become a Ronnie O'Sullivan overnight. I was potting mainly perfectly straight and 3/4 balls half table length. Also some 1/2 and 1/4 high blacks. And I definitely did miss some shots, but it was like from 30% to 80% improvement i.e. a significant difference.

Anybody had this sudden improvement experience before?

What did the pause do to make such a difference? I did not change anything else with my cueing besides the long pause today.

Is aiming the ball without focussing on the exact BOB point acceptable? I was looking solely at the object ball throughout the forwardswing (actually, I start looking at the object ball at the front pause before the backswing, and continue looking at it during the long pause and the forwardswing), but not at an exact point. Just the whole object ball in general and 'knowing' that the angle was right.

Am I just getting my hopes up?!

Many threads previous have commented that having a rear pause works wonders in helping you to cue smoothly and allowing you to drive the cue ball through better. The first time it helps you to pot balls, you feel comfortable, gives you confidence, you like it, whatever, keep it there until it becomes second nature. However, don't take the initial results from one practice session as gospel or the must be way to go just cause you pot a few more than without. Process of improvement takes a long time and more than one session to find out the way that suits you. So don't get your hopes up just yet, need a bit more perseverance..

Comment

horriefic:

Oddly enough I've just had the same result after taking Chris Small's advice on how to get a decent rear pause. Chris recommended I mentally count 1-2 at medium speed however what I tried was exactly what you tried and I extended the rear pause initially by counting 1-2-3-4 at medium speed. I found it did increase my potting accuracy and also my positional accuracy. After awhile I stopped counting but still had to consciously pause the cue but the effects held true and I ended up around Chris' recommended 1-2 count.

If you were getting the same results as me it comes down to the fact that you drive and accelerate through the cueball much better with the definite pause (everyone has a pause as the cue has to change directions, but the telling point is how abrupt the backward-to-forwards transition is). I have always wanted to develop a decent rear pause of 1-2 seconds and also switch my eyes to the object ball during that pause.

On your other question...I also do not focus on either BOB or an arc of the object ball as I just can't mentally picture it. When standing behind the shot I do imagine a cueball making contact in the plant position and then try and aim for the centre of that imagined cueball and keeping it in mind try and drop straight down with the head. When down and sighting I remember (almost always anyway) to keep the upper body absolutely still and I'm still aiming for the centre of that imaginary cueball.

When trying to develop the rear pause another thing I tried was to keep the grip (cue just laying in the curl of the 4 fingers, thumb loose but straight down for the wrist cock) very relaxed and concentrated on not tightening that grip AT ALL and I found this really helped for some reason to get the rear pause correct. It also significantly increased my accuracy. I was using the line-up because you usually have a simple pot and I do the 4-6-5 with the 4 reds between black and top cushion and always start with the red closest to the cushion on a 3/4 stun shot bouncing off the cushion for the black. This first pot is always a difficult one and so is the next red too but today with the pause and relaxed grip I was making every one of them although sometimes I didn't stun enough or else ended up on the pink if I over-hit the red. After a few attempts I even managed a 101 (8 blacks, 3 pinks) even though I was concentrating more on the pause and grip instead of position.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

When I'm in the zone (recently very often) I just look for the BOB, see the line of aim on the cloth instantly, put my cue onto the imaginary line of aim, get down, draw the cue back and deliver. No feathering. Just a draw back, pause for about one second and smoothly deliver the cue.
        It's a nice feel when you know you're just right and can enjoy the the game and the positions come as you want them.

I think the pause avoids getting off the line as you are accelerating smoothly from a decent stop. When you don't pause the risk of swinging outwards ist much too high at the turning point.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Good to hear about your experience with the rear pause Terry! I am personally encouraged, and I really hope this provides me a good platform to build from as I have pretty much settled on my cueing (stance, sighting, grip etc), and now need to work on more potting, and positional play.

Wong

Comment

I think an elongated pause gives;

1 Your eyes time to properly sight the OB
            2 A more stable stance with any unwanted movement far less likely
            3 An accelerated drive through the ball
            I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
              I think an elongated pause gives;

1 Your eyes time to properly sight the OB
              2 A more stable stance with any unwanted movement far less likely
              3 An accelerated drive through the ball
              I think it's all about giving your eyes time to focus on the contact point of the object ball, front or rear pause, whatever suits your game or your eyesight you need one or the other and sometimes both.

Comment

Working...
              X