Twisting wrist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisting wrist

Just thought id share something with players that twist their wrist and put unwanted side on the cue ball . I used to suffer from this terrible to the point that i had to stop playing . Been back playing about 2 -3 years and i,m cueing straighter than i ever have . Good advice on the forum regarding loose and relaxed grip has helped achieve this but another thing i found is playing with the badge facing down has really helped me with straight cueing .

When i play badge up i cant stop my wrist from turning some what . Anyone who has this problem may want to try this , its certainly helped me loads .

I think I had a similar problem. Can I describe it as, when holding badge up, the face splice turns anti clockwise a little in the grip hand. Meant up and down spots was off a lot but didnt have a huge affect on close shots. So should I try badge down? Badge to side like Graeme dott?

Comment

Try it muck , certainly helps me but you need a cue with nice arrows , i,ve sold some lovely T W cues which i would have kept if the arrows were the opposite side .
      Last edited by hotpot; 29 June 2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

you can use the wrist twist to get away from a straight ball,say blue bang straight in middle twist wrist when you hit ball throws white to whichever side you turn wrist

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
          Just thought id share something with players that twist their wrist and put unwanted side on the cue ball . I used to suffer from this terrible to the point that i had to stop playing . Been back playing about 2 -3 years and i,m cueing straighter than i ever have . Good advice on the forum regarding loose and relaxed grip has helped achieve this but another thing i found is playing with the badge facing down has really helped me with straight cueing .

When i play badge up i cant stop my wrist from turning some what . Anyone who has this problem may want to try this , its certainly helped me loads .
          There must be a difference in your finger position when playing badge down. Do the tips of your fingers rest against the flat of the butt (badge) thus cocking out your wrist ?

Comment

I have noticed that I turn the cue up the other way (badge down) when I play with the jigger . . . I didn't even know I did it until someone asked me why I do it.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              There must be a difference in your finger position when playing badge down. Do the tips of your fingers rest against the flat of the butt (badge) thus cocking out your wrist ?
              yes muck the tips of my fingers do rest on the flat of the butt and i use the same grip badge up , for some reason the flat helps me deliver the cue much straighter than the round of the butt .
              Last edited by hotpot; 30 June 2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Woah. Now this is interesting and something new. I have had this problem and only recently Terry pointed it out to me. I now play with a wrist cock (outward) and that has helped me get back my game... Although still the cock seems rather uneasy or shall i say unnatural given that my little finger slides off the butt upon delivery but since I am getting results I am trying to get it settled.

I think practicing with this setup for some time will make it natural for me.

However, i never gave thought to the badge position.... I used to play with the badge on the left side (I am a lefty) so the badge was towards the left outward in my palm... But then I stopped playing and then got a new cue and started playing again and then I noticed that the badge was suddenly upwards i.e. straight up. i think watching so much snooker on the telly and seeing top pros having badge upwards may have done this...! cant know if this will help as I am playing already with a wrist cock these days.

Last but not the least I am a lefty and up and down the spots tells me I ALWAYS use unintentional left hand side and NEVER even once did I get a unintentional right hand side... A lefty having left hand side.... what could that suggest hmmm ???
                "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
                  Woah. Now this is interesting and something new. I have had this problem and only recently Terry pointed it out to me. I now play with a wrist cock (outward) and that has helped me get back my game... Although still the cock seems rather uneasy or shall i say unnatural given that my little finger slides off the butt upon delivery but since I am getting results I am trying to get it settled.

I think practicing with this setup for some time will make it natural for me.

However, i never gave thought to the badge position.... I used to play with the badge on the left side (I am a lefty) so the badge was towards the left outward in my palm... But then I stopped playing and then got a new cue and started playing again and then I noticed that the badge was suddenly upwards i.e. straight up. i think watching so much snooker on the telly and seeing top pros having badge upwards may have done this...! cant know if this will help as I am playing already with a wrist cock these days.

Last but not the least I am a lefty and up and down the spots tells me I ALWAYS use unintentional left hand side and NEVER even once did I get a unintentional right hand side... A lefty having left hand side.... what could that suggest hmmm ???
                  Hi Sidd,
                  it sounds like your chest is getting in the way of the cue on delivery. I have come across this before, a cocked wrist is the problem. As you drop down on the shot ,everything is going to the left.moving your back arm straight and vertical pulls your body and the tip head back to centre cue ball. I have read all your recent posts,you seem to be getting bogged down on all technical issues. hard work is whats needed , set yourself a few goals ,try reach them,then ask yourself what player you want to be 1. a good club player. 2. A good amatuer playing in local events. 3.A serious national player ,entering national events. 4. A pro ??

just play and stop thinking

Comment

I find it's the wrist position that helps minimize or even eliminate twisting the cue on delivery no matter which way the cue is held, but different strokes for different folks and all that.. but look at all the players on tour that use a straight wrist and they twist the cue on delivery, a cock in the wrist stops the twist.

But what do I know I don't even play the game......

Hows you neil, hope your good bud...

Comment

I used to cock the wrist unknowingly as i had the flat facing down, changed to to a round butt last July and struggled to be consistent not being able to find the cause, so sold it and went back to a flat butted cue but the chevrons on it aren't the best when the flat is down, i now play with the badge facing up and always try to cock the wrist, if i forget then the cue does seem to twist a little, but it's amazing how something as little as that can ruin your game!
                      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Working...
                      X