Stun run through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by rightoncue89 View Post
    i dont see many players play the drag shot either, but i use it and find it very useful
    I always use drags shots especially to slow the white coming off the black cushion

Comment

Originally Posted by DG GIBERT View Post
      An Old Terry Griffiths coaching book suggested that 70% of shots are STR
      I recently read his book. He says it's by far the most used shot in your armoury and it's a shot that you have to master to get anywhere in the game. But I think he is referring to stuns in general as appose to stun run throughs. He also says he uses a one of the variations of the stun shots for around 75% of all the shots he plays.

On the other hand. Which is something I found very interesting. He said he would only use side on the cue ball only on the break off shot or as a last resort as it's such a difficult shot to pull off.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
        I recently read his book. He says it's by far the most used shot in your armoury and it's a shot that you have to master to get anywhere in the game. But I think he is referring to stuns in general as appose to stun run throughs. He also says he uses a one of the variations of the stun shots for around 75% of all the shots he plays.

On the other hand. Which is something I found very interesting. He said he would only use side on the cue ball only on the break off shot or as a last resort as it's such a difficult shot to pull off.
        That's interesting, when you watch the pros now a days there cue tip is all over the place on the cue ball. I find the toughest shot by far the stun run through on a dead in shot. Example playing colours going from dead in pink to black. I have no problem getting the proper run through but it is hitting the object ball straight, in fact I probably miss it 75% of the time. No problem with dead in blue just corner pockets.
        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
          That's interesting, when you watch the pros now a days there cue tip is all over the place on the cue ball. I find the toughest shot by far the stun run through on a dead in shot. Example playing colours going from dead in pink to black. I have no problem getting the proper run through but it is hitting the object ball straight, in fact I probably miss it 75% of the time. No problem with dead in blue just corner pockets.
          I'm just guessing that playing a stun run through on the blue allows you get into a proper stance so that you are straight on the shot. A straight stun run through on the pink might require some stretching or different foot positioning or both which might have the effect of making you missing the shot because you are not bringing in the cue in a straight line. Do you always miss the shot on the same side?

I was having a similar problem when I was trying to clear the colours. On the first straight yellow with a soft-ish screw. I would tend to miss. I realised after a while it was because I was stretching over the table that my body was not in a straight line. I have corrected that issue somewhat and I really focus on the center of the yellow ball when I am cueing now. I make that shot a lot more often now.

Comment

Page 72 a section for stun and a separate section for SRT, I think he was referring to SRT's when he states that in the professional game 75% of all shots played incorporate the stun run-through.

Comment

I will have to check that out. I think my main problem is not following through on the dead in ones pushing the cue at the back of the pocket.

Comment

Yes he states that 99% of the shots he plays are some where on the centre line of the CB.

Comment

Here is an easy drill to perfect the 'stun' game - place 10 balls about 3" parallel to the blue spot side pocket potting line. 5 balls on each side equally spaced - 6", 12", 18", 24", 30" from the side rail. Pot balls from the blue spot - starting with the cue ball beside the ball that is 6" from the blue spot. Use a medium soft pace and pot 4 or 5 balls off the blue spot and stun through 6", then 4 or 5 balls stunning through 12" etc until you have stunned through 6, 12, 18, 24 & 30". Now move the cue ball back 6" and repeat, etc until you have potted and stunned through from 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 away to each of the distances. Try to use the same pace for each pot from the same distance and achieve the further stun through by using a slightly higher bridge height eg 1mm higher for each of the longer stun through distances. As you move the cue ball back increase your pace slightly vs changing your bridgeheight

Now repeat USING DRAW i.e. potting from 6, 12, 18 etc and drawing back 6, 12, 18 etc.

Once you master the 'feel' and can readily stun through or stun back doing the drill ADD some angle and pot balls off the blue spot that are just off straight (in increments) to 3/4 ball. USE the same pace and bridge heights used in the previous drill - You should now be super accurate in controlling the cue ball using stun

Comment

Here is an drill to perfect the 'stun' game - place 10 balls about 3" parallel to the blue spot side pocket potting line. 5 balls on each side equally spaced - 6", 12", 18", 24", 30" from the side rail. Pot balls from the blue spot - starting with the cue ball beside the ball that is 6" from the blue spot. Use a medium soft pace and pot 4 or 5 balls off the blue spot and stun through 6", then 4 or 5 balls stunning through 12" etc until you have stunned through 6, 12, 18, 24 & 30". Now move the cue ball back 6" and repeat, etc until you have potted and stunned through from 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 away to each of the distances. Try to use the same pace for each pot from the same distance and achieve the further stun through by using a slightly higher bridge height eg 1mm higher for each of the longer stun through distances. As you move the cue ball back increase your pace slightly vs changing your bridge height to compensate for the longer potting distance.

Now repeat USING DRAW i.e. potting from 6, 12, 18 etc and drawing back 6, 12, 18 etc.

Once you master the 'feel' and can readily stun through or stun back doing the drill ADD some angle and pot balls off the blue spot that are just off straight (in increments) to 3/4 ball. USE the same pace and bridge heights used in the previous drill - You should now be super accurate in controlling the cue ball using stun, i.e. cue ball angle of departure and distance

For example 9/10ths ball angle from 6" hit the same way as the 6" away 6" stun through in the drill, will stun through 7" about 10-15 degrees off straight through

Comment

Originally Posted by HemiRR View Post
                      Here is an drill to perfect the 'stun' game - place 10 balls about 3" parallel to the blue spot side pocket potting line. 5 balls on each side equally spaced - 6", 12", 18", 24", 30" from the side rail. Pot balls from the blue spot - starting with the cue ball beside the ball that is 6" from the blue spot. Use a medium soft pace and pot 4 or 5 balls off the blue spot and stun through 6", then 4 or 5 balls stunning through 12" etc until you have stunned through 6, 12, 18, 24 & 30". Now move the cue ball back 6" and repeat, etc until you have potted and stunned through from 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 away to each of the distances. Try to use the same pace for each pot from the same distance and achieve the further stun through by using a slightly higher bridge height eg 1mm higher for each of the longer stun through distances. As you move the cue ball back increase your pace slightly vs changing your bridge height to compensate for the longer potting distance.

Once you master the 'feel' and can readily stun through or stun back doing the drill ADD some angle and pot balls off the blue spot that are just off straight (in increments) to 3/4 ball. USE the same pace and bridge heights used in the previous drill - You should now be super accurate in controlling the cue ball using stun, i.e. cue ball angle of departure and distance

For example 9/10ths ball angle from 6" hit the same way as the 6" away 6" stun through in the drill, will stun through 7" about 10-15 degrees off straight through
                      This is a very knowledgeable post on something I practiced myself years ago.
                      Last edited by Byrom; 13 January 2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DG GIBERT View Post
                        Yes he states that 99% of the shots he plays are some where on the centre line of the CB.
                        Indeed. As others have said. If you master that then positioning shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by HemiRR View Post
                        Here is an easy drill to perfect the 'stun' game - place 10 balls about 3" parallel to the blue spot side pocket potting line. 5 balls on each side equally spaced - 6", 12", 18", 24", 30" from the side rail. Pot balls from the blue spot - starting with the cue ball beside the ball that is 6" from the blue spot. Use a medium soft pace and pot 4 or 5 balls off the blue spot and stun through 6", then 4 or 5 balls stunning through 12" etc until you have stunned through 6, 12, 18, 24 & 30". Now move the cue ball back 6" and repeat, etc until you have potted and stunned through from 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 away to each of the distances. Try to use the same pace for each pot from the same distance and achieve the further stun through by using a slightly higher bridge height eg 1mm higher for each of the longer stun through distances. As you move the cue ball back increase your pace slightly vs changing your bridgeheight

Once you master the 'feel' and can readily stun through or stun back doing the drill ADD some angle and pot balls off the blue spot that are just off straight (in increments) to 3/4 ball. USE the same pace and bridge heights used in the previous drill - You should now be super accurate in controlling the cue ball using stun
                        This sounds really. It took me a few reads to understand what you meant. Thanks. I will try this. It sounds quite tough though.

Comment

I would like to try this drill, but unfortunately unlike Cyberheater I can't figure it out lol, can someone explain it again, sorry.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            I would like to try this drill, but unfortunately unlike Cyberheater I can't figure it out lol, can someone explain it again, sorry.
                            I think he's saying. Imagine a line between the middle pockets that runs thru the blue spot. Draw another line about 3 inches down from this line which runs parallel to the first line. Place 10 equally spaced balls that are 6 inches apart along that second line.

You do not touch these balls. They are only to act as a guide.

Now place a ball on the blue spot and play a stun shot into the opposite middle pocket such that the white travels 6 inches forward and ends up being inline with the first ball on the guide line. Etc....

I hope that is right.

Comment

Ah ! Cheers Cyber , I get it now.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                                Ah ! Cheers Cyber , I get it now.
                                LOL I did not get it either but I figured someone would ask for a better explanation or diagram so I figured I would just sit n wait. Now I will have to this bit not till I watch Ronnie in action. Great match with Ding n Murphy. Murphy is one of my favourites.

Comment

Working...
                                X