Practise practise how much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practise practise how much

Just wondered how much practise time members are able to get in ? with other commitments I am able to manage about 12 hours a week, then I play in the usual matches.

a coach once said to me that practise should be at least twice as long as your match time.

So if you match play for 3 hours a week, your practise should be at least 6
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi, I practice 1 hour Monday to Friday, after I drop off one of my children at school and before I have to show up at work, I am very lucky there's a 24-hour snooker club (or it is here called snooker centre) near my place. At 8 am, the place is always empty except occasionally maybe there is 1 table on. I enjoy solo practice very much but I can tell you if someone walks by when I am cueing, I would miss. I rarely play against anyone except with my mate at work, and that's for pure fun, we do not even count the score because he just started (I have been playing for a year). I don't care what people say but I really enjoying playing alone, I don't get bored and 1 hour is always not sufficient but I had to leave because I park my car on the street and they will ticket you if you park there after 9 am.

Comment

Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
        Hi, I practice 1 hour Monday to Friday, after I drop off one of my children at school and before I have to show up at work, I am very lucky there's a 24-hour snooker club (or it is here called snooker centre) near my place. At 8 am, the place is always empty except occasionally maybe there is 1 table on. I enjoy solo practice very much but I can tell you if someone walks by when I am cueing, I would miss. I rarely play against anyone except with my mate at work, and that's for pure fun, we do not even count the score because he just started (I have been playing for a year). I don't care what people say but I really enjoying playing alone, I don't get bored and 1 hour is always not sufficient but I had to leave because I park my car on the street and they will ticket you if you park there after 9 am.
        You are extremely luck to have that room around! Nothing wrong with practice on your own, btw. It's important that you enjoy it!
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Hi, thanks for the note. Yupp, really enjoying practicing. I do various shots, always or most of the time positional shots. Recently (after months playing) I discovered what I call a square shot (of course from watching youtube video) where you hit a ball near or at the brown spot and try to get the cue ball back in the middle of the table with 2 cushions- bottom cushion and the one near you. The more I know the "secrets" the more interesting my practice becomes. Also I was wrong about something, I previously worked on my positional with difficult shots only because I thought for the straight forward and easy shots I didn't have to practice much because they are easy shots. I was absolutely wrong and I supposed you know why. So for the last couple of weeks, I have been working on easy shots, small angle, 6 to 8 inches distant between CB and OB, try to get the CB on the right side of the next ball too. Sorry I think I have gone out of the original topic...lol...

Comment

Good on yer mate ! I never understand when people say they get bored with practice ! there are so many shots, problems, improvements to technique, that you can iron out on the practice table that it would take you a lifetime to get through them all. As they say "Whatever floats your boat". However try and play a few matches to see if your hard work is paying off.

Comment

Putting quality time isn't easy. There's never enough time, and of course there are always distractions.
              What I try to avoid is playing against slow players and/or against those who take frequent smoke breaks outside. That drives me absolutely insane...

Comment

Smoke break during a game is poor form but before and after is OK
                My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

me and my friends have many MSIs
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I can't stand playing folk who think they are at the crucible , it's a bounce game for gods sake, no rollies behind baulk colours after every red, there is no trophy at the end, and certainly no fame to be found in beating me, relax , let your arm go, let's see if we can make a double digit break before all the colours end up in baulk or on the cushions.
                    I would much rather practice than play frames like this.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                      Smoke break during a game is poor form but before and after is OK
                      Guys in my club rarely play more than two frames in a row without having a smoke which lasts for 10 minutes..even if it is well below freezing outside.
                      10 minutes of table time loss per approximately an hour is unacceptable to me. I love snooker too much, no sympathy for nicotine addicts...

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                        Putting quality time isn't easy. There's never enough time, and of course there are always distractions.
                        What I try to avoid is playing against slow players and/or against those who take frequent smoke breaks outside. That drives me absolutely insane...
                        Smoke Breaks and ruddy mobile phones "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" Word of advice (I am no expert) but dont avoid slow players keep your cool even if someone is trying to do a Peter Ebdon on you ! players are very quick to spot what winds you up and take advantage and grind you down.
                        Last edited by denja; 25 April 2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                          ...but dont avoid slow players keep your cool even if someone is trying to do a Peter Ebdon on you ! players are very quick to spot what winds you up and take advantage and grind you down.
                          At tournaments, you must accept everything that is thrown at you. No issue there.
                          But visiting a club after a full day at work, looking forward to some snooker as enjoyment...no thanks, I'll avoid turtles as much as possible. There is nothing to gain by playing with them. They don't play well anyway...take a guess why...

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                            Good on yer mate ! I never understand when people say they get bored with practice ! there are so many shots, problems, improvements to technique, that you can iron out on the practice table that it would take you a lifetime to get through them all. As they say "Whatever floats your boat". However try and play a few matches to see if your hard work is paying off.
                            Played 2 games last night against a friend...the problem in real game and not so much in practice is that, the colors don't like to sit in their spots...lol..

Comment

Played 2 games last night against a friend...the problem in real game and not so much in practice is that, the colors don't like to sit in their spots...lol..
                              I know what you mean ! however you will find that out of nowhere that positional shot or that colour clearance that you have been practicing will suddenly be staring you in the face in a match, I practiced the colour clearance until I was blue in the face, then out of nowhere in a important match there it was staring me in the face and I went on to win ok the chance of the balls being right where you want them is always slim however I do think the old saying "PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT" is very true keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                              X