Practise practise how much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    I can't stand playing folk who think they are at the crucible , it's a bounce game for gods sake, no rollies behind baulk colours after every red, there is no trophy at the end, and certainly no fame to be found in beating me, relax , let your arm go, let's see if we can make a double digit break before all the colours end up in baulk or on the cushions.
    I would much rather practice than play frames like this.
    Totally with you on this mate. Can't get my head around rolling up behind colours in practice. It's not like that shot requires much skill or practice; just hit it gently and roll up. I also can't stand playing the miss rule in practice.

It's not hard to adjust my game to play proper matches. I pot a long red and come back into baulk, do I play the brown in the middle or roll up to the green, it's not not rocket science. Also, just adjust my shot choice slightly so I'm not stupidly attacking.

Baaaahhh rant over lol
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

btw, I learned something from the game the other night. early of the game, I was on brown on its spot going into the yellow pocket, dead straight. all reds are in business area, none is on, so my next shot after I pot the brown would be a long safety, from baulk (yellow side)to one of the red (yellow side) and back into baulk. I pot the brown the CB stopped just inches passed brown spot. Then I hit a red near the pink spot hoping that the CB would hit 2 cushion and come into baulk, but I didn't consider the one red by the cushion (yellow cushion near centre pocket), the CB kiss the red there after bounced off the top cushion and I left a few reds on to my opponent. Then I realized I should have screwed back on brown so I could play safety shot from the green side of the table where that part was not as congested...hope I am not confusing anyone...lol

Comment

Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
        btw, I learned something from the game the other night. early of the game, I was on brown on its spot going into the yellow pocket, dead straight. all reds are in business area, none is on, so my next shot after I pot the brown would be a long safety, from baulk (yellow side)to one of the red (yellow side) and back into baulk. I pot the brown the CB stopped just inches passed brown spot. Then I hit a red near the pink spot hoping that the CB would hit 2 cushion and come into baulk, but I didn't consider the one red by the cushion (yellow cushion near centre pocket), the CB kiss the red there after bounced off the top cushion and I left a few reds on to my opponent. Then I realized I should have screwed back on brown so I could play safety shot from the green side of the table where that part was not as congested...hope I am not confusing anyone...lol
        nope, no confusion
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
          At tournaments, you must accept everything that is thrown at you. No issue there.
          But visiting a club after a full day at work, looking forward to some snooker as enjoyment...no thanks, I'll avoid turtles as much as possible. There is nothing to gain by playing with them. They don't play well anyway...take a guess why...
          as a rule i stay away from bad players, especially ones who are: angry, mess arounders, chatters, jokers, slow, negative..
          unless they wanna play for a fiva and the lights bo5

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
            "PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT"
            I like the Shaun Murphy saying. Practice makes permanent. So it's important to practise with good form and good technique.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
              I like the Shaun Murphy saying. Practice makes permanent. So it's important to practise with good form and good technique.
              The full quote is:
              ‘That practice makes perfect is not necessarily so. Practice makes permanent . . ..
              Incorrect practice, bad practice, will eventually produce permanent bad habits.’

It is the most useful sports performance attitude to possess, it is a large part of my philosophy, and was first coined by Charles Hughes a football coach in the 1980s
              On Cue Facebook Page
              Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
              Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

yep, i grew up with lots of talented players but most of them went about things the wrong way. i include myself in that mix

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                  yep, i grew up with lots of talented players but most of them went about things the wrong way. i include myself in that mix
                  You're not alone on that one J6UK - Took me a while to learn the difference between thinking you look good and actually looking good.........which I am still working on
                  Last edited by Stupree; 28 April 2014, 07:17 PM.
                  On Cue Facebook Page
                  Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                  Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Originally Posted by Stupree View Post
                    The full quote is:
                    ‘That practice makes perfect is not necessarily so. Practice makes permanent . . ..
                    Incorrect practice, bad practice, will eventually produce permanent bad habits.’
                    Yes that's it. A very important thing to keep in your mind when you are practising. It's taking a long while for knock some of my worse cueing habits out. I've still got a long long way to go.

Comment

i use to like to look good too, knock in a long ball with power, show off with a bit of check, then find myself nearer and nearer the cush after a few reds and colors, miss a couple of blacks off the spot.. then the genuine good player would slap me about with more and more pressure safety and telephone number breaks frame after frame

Comment

Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
                        Hi, I practice 1 hour Monday to Friday, after I drop off one of my children at school and before I have to show up at work, I am very lucky there's a 24-hour snooker club (or it is here called snooker centre) near my place. At 8 am, the place is always empty except occasionally maybe there is 1 table on. I enjoy solo practice very much but I can tell you if someone walks by when I am cueing, I would miss. I rarely play against anyone except with my mate at work, and that's for pure fun, we do not even count the score because he just started (I have been playing for a year). I don't care what people say but I really enjoying playing alone, I don't get bored and 1 hour is always not sufficient but I had to leave because I park my car on the street and they will ticket you if you park there after 9 am.
                        Just a little update on my progress. Now that I can pot and position better than I did 6 months ago, my solo practice became more enjoyable and as the result one hour a day is not enough. I now have to sacrifice the time for my other hobby -woodworking. In addition to one hour daily on weekday, I played 2 hours from 8a to 10am every Saturday and Sunday. I plan to get a better cue too though I have no problem with my cheap Powerglide Coppa cue. I want to see maybe I can play better with a different cue though my wife said I just wanted a better looking cue

Comment

The more I practice the luckier I get!

Top Quality Practice takes one a long way...
                          "I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." :snooker:

Success With Style : Muhammed Ali, Bjorn Borg, Magic Johnson, Mats Wilander, Michael Jackson, Stefan Edberg.

Comment

i have improved the quality of my practise in setting up a training plan. it has 5 units of 1 hour divided in warmup, cue action, positional play and safety. helps me stopping knocking balls around without purpose

Comment

Originally Posted by svendh View Post
                              i have improved the quality of my practise in setting up a training plan. it has 5 units of 1 hour divided in warmup, cue action, positional play and safety. helps me stopping knocking balls around without purpose
                              Way to go! You Are On The Path To A Distinguished Break.

I do it in 9 units, I love to take 9 units before Snooker and 9 units after. Life is Good...
                              "I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." :snooker:

Success With Style : Muhammed Ali, Bjorn Borg, Magic Johnson, Mats Wilander, Michael Jackson, Stefan Edberg.

Comment

mine is 5 units of one hour. 15 min cue action, 30 min positional play (2 routines) and 15 minutes safety. plus i do 5 minutes warmup before i start. i have found that i can keep concentration high for one hour practise and than make a long break or continue the next time i am at the club.

Comment

Working...
                                X