Critique my cue action.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique my cue action.

After seeing that Les has the courage to put a vid of himself up. I thought I'd give it a go.

Sorry the light isn't very bright.

Lay into me.

You are very tall and your cue is too short for you. Also there was slight head and body movement just before the strike on the second last pot. Are those proper snooker glasses ? Do you use a spoony or spec-up ? if the answer is no then invest a little money in one of them or get some contact lenses as you could be moving your head slightly to get the object ball in vision through your lenses when down in your stance. I know as I've been there myself.
    I would say you need a cue of 60"+, and sorted vision and then the improvements will come.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      I would say you need a cue of 60"+, and sorted vision and then the improvements will come.
      Thanks vmax4steve

My cue is 59.5 inches but I know it's a bit short. When funds provide I will try to get a 62 or 63 inch cue. I'm 6ft 5inches. I've got a 6 inch mini but so might experiment using that for a while.

Also. I don't use a spoony. I will invest in one.

I'm surprised to see how much I move. I will look at that.
      Last edited by cyberheater; 15 April 2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
        Thanks vmax4steve

My cue is 59.5 inches but I know it's a bit short. When funds provide I will try to get a 62 or 63 inch cue. I'm 6ft 5inches. I've got a 6 inch mini but so might experiment using that for a while.

Also. I don't use a spoony. I will invest in one.

I'm surprised to see how much I move. I will look at that.
        I have a 61 & 1/2 inch 3/4 split maple at 20oz's for sale at £150 delivered if you're interested. You'd be surprised at the difference those two inches will make to your cue action.
        Problem with experimenting with the mini butt is that it puts the balance of the cue too far forward so that it feels like the extra length isn't working when in reality it's the balance.

Comment

I have a 61 & 1/2 inch 3/4 split maple at 20oz's for sale at £150 delivered if you're interested. You'd be surprised at the difference those two inches will make to your cue action.
          Problem with experimenting with the mini butt is that it puts the balance of the cue too far forward so that it feels like the extra length isn't working when in reality it's the balance.
          Thank you very much but I'm pretty broke at the moment. I'll start having some spare cash in July.

Comment

Hi mate a cant comment on cue action or movement but a do think v max is right a bigger cue would suit you more and it's a scary thing when you film your self. Did you notice eny thing your self when you watch it back ?

Comment

After seeing that Les has the courage to put a vid of himself up. I thought I'd give it a go.

Sorry the light isn't very bright.

Lay into me.
              Okay here we go......LOL no I cannot say anything but good for you for posting your video. You will get lots of tips then you have to decide which ones to implement and which ones to discard. VMax will not lead you astray he has good ideas and Terry also can help. I wish I had your height, with my bridge arm being handicap I can only reach about half way out to the blue ball so I have the rest in my hand a lot. Good Luck heading down to practice right now.
              " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
              " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
              http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
                Hi mate a cant comment on cue action or movement but a do think v max is right a bigger cue would suit you more and it's a scary thing when you film your self. Did you notice eny thing your self when you watch it back ?
                I think I move on my shots a lot more then I thought. Also. I almost zero rear pause.

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                Good Luck heading down to practice right now.
                Thanks Les.

Anyone else?

Comment

Not too bad. You are a touch rubber necked with it bobbing up and down a touch...

Could be down to having a cue which is a touch too short for you.

Increase the frequency of your practice and you'll definitely improve.

Comment

My comments:

1. I saw upper body movement on EVERY shot, not only during the feathers but also on the backswing and delivery.
                    2. Your elbow is dropping prior to the strike on the cueball. Keep the elbow UP until after the strike.
                    3. As your budget is limited you could try bending the bridge arm a little more to compensate for the cue length. As you are very tall and have a straight bridge arm your eyes will be further away from the cueball than most players. You can also compensate for the cue length by shortening the cue distance from the 'V' of the bridge to the back of the cueball. Take a ruler and a pencil to your cue and place a very light line at 12" from the tip and ensure that line is at the V. You can go down to 11" perhaps but at your height I think the 12" is about right.

Otherwise you don't look too bad at all however if you want to improve you will need to get more practice than you're getting as twice a week and matches at that are not nearly enough.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I think I move on my shots a lot more then I thought.
                      I think this is purely down to wearing normal specs and not being able to see the object ball through your lenses when down on the shot, the bobbing up and down as pottr sees it. I did this for years until I got some contact lenses and now snooker glasses.

Your short cue (well normal length for most) gives you a cue arm that is slightly forward of vertical at the address position, making your elbow drop from the shoulder before the strike. I could only see that on one shot as the rest of the time your cue arm was in darkness or out of shot altogether, but it's a problem that can be cured with a longer cue rather than pi$$ about with your cue action.
                      Your cue action is engrained in your subconscious as you have been playing for years and as it is doesn't need changing to make you play better, you simply need a cue that fits your height and your vision sorted.

You have the two problems that I used to play with before I got my contact lenses and my longer cue, object ball out of vision and not enought cue over my thumb to sight the line of aim while keeping my cue arm vertical at the address position.

Comment

Your short cue (well normal length for most) gives you a cue arm that is slightly forward of vertical at the address position, making your elbow drop from the shoulder before the strike. I could only see that on one shot as the rest of the time your cue arm was in darkness or out of shot altogether, but it's a problem that can be cured with a longer cue rather than pi$$ about with your cue action.
                        I agree with that.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          1. I saw upper body movement on EVERY shot, not only during the feathers but also on the backswing and delivery.
                          Yes. I was shocked to see how much movement there was. I will work very hard to correct this.
                          2. Your elbow is dropping prior to the strike on the cueball. Keep the elbow UP until after the strike.
                          I will try to only move the elbow joint.

3. As your budget is limited you could try bending the bridge arm a little more to compensate for the cue length. As you are very tall and have a straight bridge arm your eyes will be further away from the cueball than most players. You can also compensate for the cue length by shortening the cue distance from the 'V' of the bridge to the back of the cueball. Take a ruler and a pencil to your cue and place a very light line at 12" from the tip and ensure that line is at the V. You can go down to 11" perhaps but at your height I think the 12" is about right.
                          As I'm not in a position to get a new cue at the moment I will bend my bridge arm to compensate. Cliff Thorburn had quite a bend in his and didn't seem to effect him.

Otherwise you don't look too bad at all however if you want to improve you will need to get more practice than you're getting as twice a week and matches at that are not nearly enough.
                          Thanks. I'm trying to get as much practice as I can squeeze in. Always a challenge with a family.

Comment

I think this is purely down to wearing normal specs and not being able to see the object ball through your lenses when down on the shot, the bobbing up and down as pottr sees it. I did this for years until I got some contact lenses and now snooker glasses.

Your cue action is engrained in your subconscious as you have been playing for years and as it is doesn't need changing to make you play better, you simply need a cue that fits your height and your vision sorted.

You have the two problems that I used to play with before I got my contact lenses and my longer cue, object ball out of vision and not enought cue over my thumb to sight the line of aim while keeping my cue arm vertical at the address position.
                            I will also try with my mini-butt on. I know it will shift the balance a bit but I'm not in a position to buy a new cue at the moment.

So. Spoony or contact lenses. Hmmm...

Comment

3. As your budget is limited you could try bending the bridge arm a little more to compensate for the cue length. As you are very tall and have a straight bridge arm your eyes will be further away from the cueball than most players. You can also compensate for the cue length by shortening the cue distance from the 'V' of the bridge to the back of the cueball.
                              I've sawn my mini butt in half so now my cue is around 62 inches.

Take a ruler and a pencil to your cue and place a very light line at 12" from the tip and ensure that line is at the V. You can go down to 11" perhaps but at your height I think the 12" is about right.
                              I've done this.

I'm playing with my friend later on today so I'll report back on the change.

Comment

Working...
                              X