Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    My comments:

1. I saw upper body movement on EVERY shot, not only during the feathers but also on the backswing and delivery.
    2. Your elbow is dropping prior to the strike on the cueball. Keep the elbow UP until after the strike.
    3. As your budget is limited you could try bending the bridge arm a little more to compensate for the cue length. As you are very tall and have a straight bridge arm your eyes will be further away from the cueball than most players. You can also compensate for the cue length by shortening the cue distance from the 'V' of the bridge to the back of the cueball. Take a ruler and a pencil to your cue and place a very light line at 12" from the tip and ensure that line is at the V. You can go down to 11" perhaps but at your height I think the 12" is about right.

Otherwise you don't look too bad at all however if you want to improve you will need to get more practice than you're getting as twice a week and matches at that are not nearly enough.

Terry
    Must be nice Terry is telling you to bend your arm and mean while I would love to be able to straighten mine.
    " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
    " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
    http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
      Must be nice Terry is telling you to bend your arm and mean while I would love to be able to straighten mine.
      23 years in the navy, downing cans of spinach for fun, i think tel could straighten anyone's arm

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
        I've sawn my mini butt in half so now my cue is around 62 inches.
        That's a bit drastic ! What if you find that 63 would be better, stick the offcut back on ?

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          That's a bit drastic ! What if you find that 63 would be better, stick the offcut back on ?
          Well I can report that my game fell apart playing with the sawn off mini-butt last night. It was a disaster*. Once I detached it and bent my bridge arm things improved a lot.

It's a 59.9 inch cue so quite long anyway.

I'm going to stick to bending my bridge arm and see how things progress. The pencil mark I made 12 inches from the tip helped me to gauge where my hand should be and how much bend I needed.

It will take me a while to adjust to my new position.

* It might also have been something to do with switching from Holsten to Special Brew. I'm not entirely sure
          Last edited by cyberheater; 17 April 2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

at 6'4 i'm on a 57", cue 9" from the tip and among the reds iv even got an inch out the the back.
            as you improve your likely to find yourself coming back down in length

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              at 6'4 i'm on a 57", cue 9" from the tip and among the reds iv even got an inch out the the back.
              as you improve your likely to find yourself coming back down in length
              Very interesting. We are the same height. I'd struggle with such a short cue but my technique isn't as good as yours.

Is your bridge arm bent?

Comment

Very interesting. We are the same height. I'd struggle with such a short cue but my technique isn't as good as yours.

Is your bridge arm bent?

its is bent but nothing dramatic, i do feel compact but not cramped in any way. i was using a 61" cue 25 years ago, so i know the feeling, but i now think its the wrong way to go in thinking that it will take you were you need to go to improve. for my height 58" is more thank enough and, anything over 58.5" would be too long

Comment

It's a 59.9 inch cue so quite long anyway.
                  Seems to be getting longer with every post. Do you plant the butt in a grow bag every night ?

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                    Seems to be getting longer with every post. Do you plant the butt in a grow bag every night ?
                    I've just measured it. It's definitely 58.5 inches

I blame it on the Alzheimer's kicking in...

Comment

now get your bridge down to say 10" and away you go

Comment

Cyber get a grip fella what chance have you got in playing snooker if you can't work out how to use a tape measure
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Cyber get a grip fella what chance have you got in playing snooker if you can't work out how to use a tape measure
                          I know. I need shooting. Seems I've always told the misses it's longer then it really is

Comment

What did you use to film it? I would like to put one up but I'm not sure where to start in terms of what is acceptable in quality.

Loved the random bloke doing the hoovering in the background mind!
                            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                              What did you use to film it? I would like to put one up but I'm not sure where to start in terms of what is acceptable in quality.

Bambuser is the one I use. There is an App for IPhone & iPad. Works great and you can shut the sound off if it is busy in your club or noisy at home.
                              " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                              " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                              http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post

That's where I am struggling, just can't get someone to hoover around me when I am ready to film.

Comment

Working...
                                X