62 Break - Analysis and Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    Nice effort. Though I would have played a few shots differently...but then again I have never played on a 10ft...
    The point of video was to showcase thinking process. Of course he would have played some shots differently on a full size table, that yellow for example...
    It is a different game, yes, but I think if one has enough experience playing on both sizes, adapting the strategy should be automatic when switching.
    I don't find any difficulty adapting my strategy from the 5' x 10' table to the 6' x 12' table. My friend's 5x10 is sufficiently tight so that it plays a little bit "like" a 6x12.

The one issue, however, is that the potting angles "feel" different so that takes a bit of time to adjust. I have been practicing on the 6x12 at the club, but it's rather far away.
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
      I do understand what you mean. He gets the pot but doesn't think about the position. So technically he's not completing correctly on a major part of the pot which is why he probably gets them in. He is only thinking about the pot.
      Like vmax, I also see plenty of guys who very often get plain ball long pots. But a lot of times plain ball shot to nothing simply isn't on, you need to create one using something other than plain ball. This is when the long pot gets technically much more difficult.

Comment

I only watched the first minute before it irritated me... The table is too small and the pockets too big for me to take seriously.

I would not cite this as a good example of shot selection. From the first red, you had a simple 32 without any problems and you elected to play up in the the centre of the table and was fortunate to land on a red to the yellow pocket.
        Last edited by pottr; 19 April 2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          I only watched the first minute before it irritated me... The table is too small and the pockets too big for me to take seriously.

I would not cite this as a good example of shot selection. From the first red, you had a simple 32 without any problems and you elected to play up in the the centre of the table and was fortunate to land on a red to the yellow pocket.
          Exactly what I thought. Very strange break and shot choice.

Also some very simple positional shots were played very strangely. The red to middle for the blue for example, you've got to just run that off the two cushions for the blue. Screwing it in was very risky and lucky to land nice on the blue.
          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I just watched it all...

I think there is a lot wrong with your positional sense. You pot a good ball, but you fail to see simple routes to run up a good score. There's a lot of time spent cueing from or under the cushion...

You pot a good ball, but in my opinion your shot selection is very poor. On a table that small with pockets that big, you should really be looking to make at least a century every 10/12 frames.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
              Exactly what I thought. Very strange break and shot choice.

Also some very simple positional shots were played very strangely. The red to middle for the blue for example, you've got to just run that off the two cushions for the blue. Screwing it in was very risky and lucky to land nice on the blue.
              Have to agree, I was taught fairly early on in break building to concentrate on the black area as soon as possible, stunning up for the yellow when you could have dropped the red in to leave a natural angle on the blue was a strange choice and you had to really work the cue ball off two cushions to get on the next red. Btw why doesn't your practice partner respot the balls for you? Surely respotting yourself will put you off your rhythm?

Comment

Thanks for that LB, it's nice to see someone's actual thought processes during a break, also we are now getting to see how everyone sees the table differently, (with the comments)and that can only help us all in decision making.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  I just watched it all...

I think there is a lot wrong with your positional sense. You pot a good ball, but you fail to see simple routes to run up a good score. There's a lot of time spent cueing from or under the cushion...

You pot a good ball, but in my opinion your shot selection is very poor. On a table that small with pockets that big, you should really be looking to make at least a century every 10/12 frames.
                  Are you able to do a similar video? Would be very useful to hear your thought process around breakbuilding so I can see where I'm lacking.

Comment

Originally Posted by ebonynivory View Post
                    Btw why doesn't your practice partner respot the balls for you? Surely respotting yourself will put you off your rhythm?
                    I think it's just habits. I know in UK it's much more common for the opponent to spot balls, but in Canada, it's not as common.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      Thanks for that LB, it's nice to see someone's actual thought processes during a break, also we are now getting to see how everyone sees the table differently, (with the comments)and that can only help us all in decision making.
                      Well said mate!
                      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                        Are you able to do a similar video? Would be very useful to hear your thought process around breakbuilding so I can see where I'm lacking.
                        As someone who's break building is poor. I would love for some of the century makers in this forum to put a video up with commentary. It would help me a lot.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Thanks! Based on some of the comments though - and my own admissions - I'm not exactly the expert in shot choice and break building quite yet. Would really like to see some of the century runners here describe their shot selection and understanding

Comment

62 Break - Analysis and Commentary

Very humble LB, it was actually a good insight in to your break building which is just as valid as everyone else's.

Break building is down to shot selections that enables shot continuation and each player has a different outlook on the map of the table. Each person chooses their shots based on their belief that they can successfully achieve the pot and position from certain balls and not others. These beliefs are founded upon previous experience of attempting these shots and the resulting success or failure.

Quite simply our SHOT SELECTIONS (ACTIONS) are based on our PRESUMPTIONS OF SUCCESS (BELIEFS) that are formed through the PREVIOUS OUTCOMES (EXPERIENCE).

Players have a fairly predetermined style of break building that can be developed through practice of a variety of scenarios that will help in creating opportunities to build new experiences at the table. For example I have worked with a player who would comfortably build a break in the 40s and 50s around the black but it would all cease after going in to the pack from the black. What we found was by creating situations where he was getting in to the pack from the spotted blue improved his game because this way put more reds in to his preferred area around the black. He has regularly added another 20-30 points on to his breaks and we are working towards the century break.

Keep your mind open, ask questions, and be willing to adapt and you will develop your game and your coaching ability.
                            On Cue Facebook Page
                            Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                            Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

well done bomber, seems like your quite chuffed with this break, though i would have gone about it another way.
                              i would of worked around the black first, then if i lost my ideal position or i cannoned half ball off the reds bellow the pink, i know i would of had those three reds in the middle of the table, as savers

Comment

Yeah, if I get chance I will gladly chuck a video up of what I'm thinking when I make a break.

I might need some help of what software to use to create the voiceover... I only have a phone camera too. If someone wants to pm me.

Then again, I could just comment as I go along I guess?

Comment

Working...
                                X