Masse Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masse Shot

I thought I had posted this the other day but cant find my post (and apologies if I've posted twice). Can someone tell me how to execute a masse shot - white on the cushion black to the left of it and a red to the left of the black. Want to try or learn to a do a full ball swerve taking white around black to hit red.
    Thanks
    smee

Last time I attempted that I ripped the cloth a my local snooker club a couple of weeks ago.
    I would avoid it at all cost.

Comment

Yes I understand the dangers, however I have access to a a table that is due to be recovered soon so i thought Id learn while I can. There is clearly a right way and a wrong way to do it so I want to learn or at least understand the principles behind it

Comment

Have a look on youtube
        http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...shot+explained

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
          Yes I understand the dangers, however I have access to a a table that is due to be recovered soon so i thought Id learn while I can. There is clearly a right way and a wrong way to do it so I want to learn or at least understand the principles behind it
          Okay. Cue near vertical. Aim Down at the 5 o'clock position edge of the white. Lots of downward striking through the white. Put a spare bit of cloth under the white.

I think that's right but I'm not great at that shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
            Okay. Cue near vertical. Aim Down at the 5 o'clock position edge of the white. Lots of downward striking through the white. Put a spare bit of cloth under the white.

I think that's right but I'm not great at that shot.
            I think you mean 7 o'clock,

I have shorter heavier butt which I attach instead to my cue (3/4) when I play the shot. I can do it fairly consistently as I prefer to swerve rather than play cushion escapes.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
              I think you mean 7 o'clock,

I have shorter heavier butt which I attach instead to my cue (3/4) when I play the shot. I can do it fairly consistently as I prefer to swerve rather than play cushion escapes.
              Yes. 7 o'clock. The ball he wants to hit is on the left of the white.

Comment

Last time I attempted that I ripped the cloth a my local snooker club a couple of weeks ago.
                I would avoid it at all cost.
                That must have been a very awkward conversation to have with the club owner .

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                  That must have been a very awkward conversation to have with the club owner .
                  Surprisingly. He was very nice about it because I was honest enough to own up.

Comment

Surprisingly. He was very nice about it because I was honest enough to own up.
                    Did he say don't do it again Cyber., if he didn't I think you should have another go ,god loves a trier lol.
                    On a serious note, I wouldn't risk my cue with it, going right through the white and dunting a thin ash shaft off a thick slate,can't do it much good.
                    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 18 May 2014, 10:55 PM.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

The old billiards players were masters of the masse. Look at the old films of Walter Lindrum, Joe Davis, Clark McConachy...

Comment

Its the kind of shot you only play once every ten years anyway, so why bother? You've probably watched pro snooker for donkeys years, how many of them have ever played a masse? It's the kind of shot played in exhibitions, or by amateurs trying to pose or pretend they're better than they are. Plus, frankly, if you were good enough to play a masse you wouldn't need to ask how to play it!
                        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                          Its the kind of shot you only play once every ten years anyway, so why bother? You've probably watched pro snooker for donkeys years, how many of them have ever played a masse?
                          I don't think I can remember any snooker player playing a masse shot in the last decade or more. All I can remember is some Jimmy White youtube clips.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                            Its the kind of shot you only play once every ten years anyway, so why bother? You've probably watched pro snooker for donkeys years, how many of them have ever played a masse? It's the kind of shot played in exhibitions, or by amateurs trying to pose or pretend they're better than they are. Plus, frankly, if you were good enough to play a masse you wouldn't need to ask how to play it!
                            I'd didnt say I was good enough so thats why Im asking. No harm in trying something new in life when we have the opportunity.

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                              I'd didnt say I was good enough so thats why Im asking. No harm in trying something new in life when we have the opportunity.
                              I could understand it if you were attempting to learn the swerve shot, which is often used to get out of close snookers however the masse shot is basically a trick shot and is not used in either normal or competitive play.

Terry
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                              X