No announcement yet.

Masse Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know where you're coming from but it is not accurate to say "its not used in normal or competitive play". A quick search on youtube shows Neil Robertson, Steve Davis and Jimmy White all using it in serious competition.
    I do agree its not used very often but its not fair to say to someone 'you wont need that so we're not going to tell you'. It's no-one else's call to decide what shots I can play or want to learn to play. I was only asking if someone could tell me how the shot was executed.

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
      I know where you're coming from but it is not accurate to say "its not used in normal or competitive play". A quick search on youtube shows Neil Robertson, Steve Davis and Jimmy White all using it in serious competition.
      I do agree its not used very often but its not fair to say to someone 'you wont need that so we're not going to tell you'. It's no-one else's call to decide what shots I can play or want to learn to play. I was only asking if someone could tell me how the shot was executed.
      Yes, the Jimmy White video on youtube does show him using a masse HOWEVER you failed to note the scoreline as Jimmy had already won the frame as his opponent needed a lot of snookers 73 - 37 with 22 on, so Ronnie needed 37 points or in other words 10 4-point snookers. Pros will often do trick shots near the end of a frame when it's well won, and in fact Ronnie does it all the time and Neil Robertson does it quite a bit too as they are crown pleasers although I haven't seen too many masse shots even in that situation as it takes a very good player not to damage the cloth (which Jimmy didn't appear to).

So go ahead and practice it however in a match where your opponent has you snookered and he can still win the frame I think I would be looking for a cushion as 1 and 2 cushion hits (as Jimmy had) are not too difficult, especially for someone at his level.

Terry

However, since you seem adamant you want to learn how to masse then just take a look at Jimmy and note the cue is vertical and held with the grip hand in the opposite position and the bridge hand is up on the fingertips and he is driving down on the left side of the cueball as much as he can without mis-cueing.

As others have said, I've never seen anyone using a masse shot in a match when his opponent can win and never if he has cushions available (as Jimmy had in the video in fact). So watch as many masse videos as you can and then try it out. Better do it when the club manager or owner is not around though as masse shots are banned in most clubs as they will damage the cloth.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

thanks - i did mention earlier I have access to a table that is going to be recovered but I'm going to so it with a wee spare piece of cloth under the white just in case they change their mind about recovering it!

Comment

Masse Shot

To be honest mate if you have chance then give it a go. I think its negative when people say that you won't ever play it or use it. It's fun to learn new skills and I think you don't see it that often on tv now because most professionals can't play it properly so can't use it even when they do need it. Good luck!
          coaching is not just for the pros
          www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Originally Posted by CoachGavin View Post
            To be honest mate if you have chance then give it a go. I think its negative when people say that you won't ever play it or use it. It's fun to learn new skills and I think you don't see it that often on tv now because most professionals can't play it properly so can't use it even when they do need it. Good luck!
            Thank you ! Couldn't agree more. We should all try something new when we have the opportunity.You try stuff you learn.

And as it happens I did it ! Took three attempts and the third one was pretty much perfect (from my perspective). I'm not saying that means I could so it again though! Masse Shot box ticked. Happy

Smee

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
              Thank you ! Couldn't agree more. We should all try something new when we have the opportunity.You try stuff you learn.

And as it happens I did it ! Took three attempts and the third one was pretty much perfect (from my perspective). I'm not saying that means I could so it again though! Masse Shot box ticked. Happy

Smee
              Great. I wish you'd have taken a vid of it. I would have loved to see it.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                Great. I wish you'd have taken a vid of it. I would have loved to see it.
                Sorry never thought of that. dont tend to film myself tbh - maybe I'll have another go.

What was interesting was that I had thought that players always held the cue totally vertical but I found having it say ten degrees off vertical helped I think

Comment

Joe Davis' book on advanced snooker shows you exactly how to play this shot with photographs and diagrams. It was primarily a billiard shot and the vintage players could play these without missing.

Comment

Get a rubber tip,lol

Comment

Working...
                    X