Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should J6 post a video up to prove he's as good as he says Poll..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
    you are joking right?
    No i dont think he is

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
      No i dont think he is
      wow what a strange point of view he has then ...Each to their own but alot of people who have watched sport for years are absolutely clueless about the sport in playing/coaching terms.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
        We’re supposed to be an evolved society yet we’re told something one day and another thing the next. Red wine’s good for you. Red wine’s bad. A pint of beer is good, a pint is bad. Take vitamin supplements but not too many or it could damage you.

We're constantly hit with conflicting messages until it gets to the point where we don’t know what’s genuine and what’s nonsense. All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast by one station in one city in one year. Not all bits have equal value. We have reached the point where even certifiable truth is regarded as just another version of events because equal validity is given to any interpretation. Hence the NHS financially supporting homeopathy.

Every explanation, no matter how twisted or biased, is accorded the same weight of authority. It seems to me that we’re almost going backwards as a species, that there’s been a breakdown of reason. There seems to be a complete refusal to accept any qualitative distinction between utter baloney and reasonable hypothesis. Not to say anyone's got a monopoly on the truth.

I believe that one person’s opinion is not necessarily worth the same as another’s. The commonly held notion nowadays is: I may not agree with you and you may not agree with me but we should all respect each other’s opinion. Well that’s ok until one person has expertise, experience, knowledge, training, or skill and understanding that the other doesn’t have. My ‘opinion’ on open-heart surgery is not of equal value as an open-heart surgeon's. His ‘opinion’ on business stratagems is not as valid as mine.

The average citizen of the world today lives longer than the richest person of the last century. Why? Because science has given us health, food, life and a standard of living unseen in the Earth’s history. Yet, barely literate people with little understanding of scientific principles argue against vaccines like MMR, causing a resurgence in these diseases, they shout against GM foods, stem cell research, global warming and any and every advance or discovery, and generally from a position of ignorance.

That said, some people are more adept at teaching others. World class sportsmen often make poor managers/coaches. Journeymen players often are world class leaders.
        Very well written post.
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Everyone has something to offer, but I can't agree that a laymen (that can't play the game) is qualified to give sound advice or coach others to a high level. Results matter in snooker. If you can't make a tonne (or any other benchmark you care to insert), you shouldn't be teaching others how to make one. Cue sports (and probably any sport) have so many subtle nuances that are imperceptible to the average laymen. You can't truly relate an experience to someone if you haven't had it yourself, like your first century for example. As a coach, you might be able to regurgitate what you read in a book, but the student can do that too. It's better to have the experience first hand, and then invent a coaching methodology of your own design that makes sense to you.

Regarding J6, he can do whatever he likes. It's his choice and he shouldn't be forced. If you don't believe he can play, then ignore his advise - simple.
          Last edited by thelongbomber; 10 October 2014, 10:00 AM.
          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Should J6 post a video up to prove he's as good as he says Poll..

like to know how many players on here have a silent chuckle when thirty breakers or less offer up coaching advice

Comment

Well let me add to this debate and say I think J6UK although he may have been tongue in cheek is actually right on this point - I don't think its wise to discount an old bird or blokes advice out of hand either - you might just miss something really special - not just taking snooker either.

Of course you can see lots of detail in experience and you are right to feel that some opinion carries more weight - its human nature to take advice from those we subconsciously think or regard as superior and value it above anything else without question and for the most part maybe that's true - yet maybe too it is the reason why Dr Harold Shipman got away with what he did for so long too?

I feel to close your ears to other people's opinions perhaps because they aren't a recognised expert in the field and maybe they don't talk or explain things as succinctly as you like to hear things is just plain snobbery and maybe we need to ask ourselves sometimes - am I 'really' listening to the right tune?

A scientist can speak in the ways of the world in a particular fashion and he might have certificates hanging on the wall and letters after his name all the experience in the world and you might like the way he sees and speaks about a globe of hot gas rising into the hemisphere approximately 360 million miles away and that's fine if you appreciate and look up to only that description - it is your choice after all.

But on the other hand is it not also nice to appreciate the way any ordinary bloke or lass can talk simply to describe the beauty of a breaking dawn?

The absolute best advice or help and fortune I ever had in life came from a grumpy old man who was in his 80's that no-one cared to share a drink or a moment with.
              Last edited by Byrom; 10 October 2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

If the advice is good who cares who it was that gave you it? To many snobs in this world ffs
                It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                  like to know how many players on here have a silent chuckle when thirty breakers or less offer up coaching advice
                  oh yes, but i think the dirty breakers can offer us their way around the table if anyones looking to make their first 20-30

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
                    I play it in a similar way but I manage to somehow stick to a red and have to try and play safe with 10 reds spread all over the table!
                    funnily enough i did that last night
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
                      wow what a strange point of view he has then ...Each to their own but alot of people who have watched sport for years are absolutely clueless about the sport in playing/coaching terms.
                      I am not so sure, teaching in itself is a skill. I am a half decent player but would be a terrible coach, I have no patience and very little clue as to how I do it! I would bet my house you would get better coaching from Nic Barrow than you would from Ronnie o'Sullivan, he clearly has no idea how he does it either, let alone be able to explain how to do it to somebody else.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

give me ronnie all day, id get the brecky, make the teas, drive him around and pick out the balls, if i could of served my apprenticeship with him..
                        he didn't do a bad job with this lad:

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        I would bet my house you would get better coaching from Nic Barrow than you would from Ronnie o'Sullivan, he clearly has no idea how he does it either, let alone be able to explain how to do it to somebody else.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                          Everyone has something to offer, but I can't agree that a laymen (that can't play the game) is qualified to give sound advice or coach others to a high level. Results matter in snooker. If you can't make a tonne (or any other benchmark you care to insert), you shouldn't be teaching others how to make one. Cue sports (and probably any sport) have so many subtle nuances that are imperceptible to the average laymen. You can't truly relate an experience to someone if you haven't had it yourself, like your first century for example. As a coach, you might be able to regurgitate what you read in a book, but the student can do that too. It's better to have the experience first hand, and then invent a coaching methodology of your own design that makes sense to you.

Regarding J6, he can do whatever he likes. It's his choice and he shouldn't be forced. If you don't believe he can play, then ignore his advise - simple.
                          This is a good statement LB,,, , But only because someone has made a ton,, does'nt mean he is a good player at a high level.
                          I think it's not about what your highest break is, but is all about how often you re able do that. how consistent you are.
                          If you are a player who can make withe every frame a break of 40,, then you are a much better player compared to a player who makes a ton once in a 20 years . and the rest of his breaks re all 10 and 15 or........ !!!!!! I'm not a coach,, just my opinion.

Comment

I don't think it possible to make a ton and then not then be able to make 40's 50's regularly really - to get up that high you will need to know your stuff to at least this level
                            Last edited by Byrom; 10 October 2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              Well let me add to this debate and say I think J6UK although he may have been tongue in cheek is actually right on this point - I don't think its wise to discount an old bird or blokes advice out of hand either - you might just miss something really special - not just taking snooker either.

Of course you can see lots of detail in experience and you are right to feel that some opinion carries more weight - its human nature to take advice from those we subconsciously think or regard as superior and value it above anything else without question and for the most part maybe that's true - yet maybe too it is the reason why Dr Harold Shipman got away with what he did for so long too?

I feel to close your ears to other people's opinions perhaps because they aren't a recognised expert in the field and maybe they don't talk or explain things as succinctly as you like to hear things is just plain snobbery and maybe we need to ask ourselves sometimes - am I 'really' listening to the right tune?

A scientist can speak in the ways of the world in a particular fashion and he might have certificates hanging on the wall and letters after his name all the experience in the world and you might like the way he sees and speaks about a globe of hot gas rising into the hemisphere approximately 360 million miles away and that's fine if you appreciate and look up to only that description - it is your choice after all.

But on the other hand is it not also nice to appreciate the way any ordinary bloke or lass can talk simply to describe the beauty of a breaking dawn?

The absolute best advice or help and fortune I ever had in life came from a grumpy old man who was in his 80's that no-one cared to share a drink or a moment with.
                              Is this something you are comfortable with sharing on here? I love talking to old people.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                                I don't think it possible to make a ton and then not then be able to make 40's 50's regularly really - to get up that high you will need to know your stuff to at least this level

Usually well,, you're right.
                                But not always. Of course, that is the difference between players of different levels.
                                What is the difference between a 50 breaks what you make, and a break of 50 made by ROS ????
                                nothing at all, a break of 50, is a break of 50. made by you or anyone else.
                                The only difference is, you make it maybe 2 times a week, and Ronni is able to that 20 times a day.

Comment

Working...
                                X