Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should J6 post a video up to prove he's as good as he says Poll..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
    talking of class anyone remember jonathon birch or joe o boye
    I played Jonathon Birch in a few pro-am in the 80's but didn't get to play Joe O'Boye although he was at some of the same tournaments. Played Stefan quite a few times as we were both from Leicester. Beat him in the semis and went on to win the county champs in 1986 but lost to him in the last 16 of the all-England a short time later.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• I would say you don't have to be a great player to coach the basics but if somebody needs to improve to a high standard then they need somebody who can play the game to a very high standard because shot selection during breaks in my opinion can't be taught by average players, I also think if you know someone is a very good player then your going to take more in and feel more confident(placebo effect possibly)
      It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
        shot selection during breaks in my opinion can't be taught by average players
        That's a good point and I agree. It's one of the differences between an average player 20-30 break to a good player 50+

My stumbling block at the minute , but I getting there .

Comment

• Very true , i have the pleasure of being in a team with a former Pro and they see the game so differently . Really great to watch and you do learn by watching them as well .
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            Very true , i have the pleasure of being in a team with a former Pro and they see the game so differently . Really great to watch and you do learn by watching them as well .
            Yeah, I had a coaching session and I had to name the shot I was playing, and what type of shot and where I wanted the White for the next shot.

I was questioned quite a bit with my shot selection , then the coach would say why not take this one . Or play the shot I selected but differently .. i.e with top rather than stun and so on.

It was so strange that I couldn't see those shots when playing which were easier than what I was selecting . However standing back and looking at them from the outside they looked the logical shot to take .. Very enlightening

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
              I would say you don't have to be a great player to coach the basics but if somebody needs to improve to a high standard then they need somebody who can play the game to a very high standard because shot selection during breaks in my opinion can't be taught by average players, I also think if you know someone is a very good player then your going to take more in and feel more confident(placebo effect possibly)
              I think this is an excellent point - though I don't know if there is a right answer to this debate anymore - There are great players who cant teach and great teachers that cant play - so I suppose get one who is confident and has a passion for doing both ideally.

As for shot selection - this improves with experience as the level of the player rises with his skill level so does his confidence in making shots - so the percentage he attaches to the value of the shots increases through repetition of playing them.

You can talk a player through a break - take this shot with top that shot with stun finish below the line here in this area to play for a choice of reds - or play to remove a certain red because its blocking the path of the pink into the corner pocket blah blah blah - I did learn a lot from this kind of thinking.

That is why it is good to watch a lot of snooker and play better players you pick up bits of stuff - Some players - Hendry I think? have previously described how its almost like they have a little commentator in there heads when playing and picking out the right shot.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                I think this is an excellent point - though I don't know if there is a right answer to this debate anymore - There are great players who cant teach and great teachers that cant play - so I suppose get one who is confident and has a passion for doing both ideally.
                well this should be easy but i'll ask anyway. please name me one?

Comment

• where is my fence - I need to sit

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    where is my fence - I need to sit
                    its behind you. you must of carved out a homely cheeky grove on that fence of yours by now b

Comment

• So, Alabadi, are you suggesting that there are coaches out there with exemplary shot choice, that can't pot a ball?
                      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                        well this should be easy but i'll ask anyway. please name me one?
                        Just found this (on basketball coaches):

"One of the most overrated thoughts out there is that if you weren't a great player, you can't be a great coach," said Martin, who now coaches at South Carolina.

"It's a big fallacy."

There are some who even believe that being a star player beyond college can be detrimental to a coaching career. In other words, the best players don't always make the best coaches.

One current head coach said a running joke in college basketball circles is to use caution when hiring former NBA players as assistants. The reason?

"They're lazy," the coach said. "If you were a star player, you were catered to, so some of them have problems catering to someone else. You might have been great at making yourself a good player, but you might not be able to make someone else a good player -- or you might not be great at paperwork or recruiting.

"Coaching takes a type of 'servant' attitude at times."

Source: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball
                        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                          So, Alabadi, are you suggesting that there are coaches out there with exemplary shot choice, that can't pot a ball?
                          nope, who gave you that idea

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                            nope, who gave you that idea
                            You. Because you've now said that shot choice is very important and that its this that separates the consistent 20-30 break players from the rest. And you said a good coach will know all about shot choice and how to play, but may never have made a 100 break, so now I'm totally confused. Because if the coach had a sound technique, and excellent shot choice, then how come they never managed even one 100+ break?
                            WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                            Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• ala dont know what hes saying anymore hes been all over the place on this one. sounds to me though that he rates himself as a bit of a coach and probably trying to help others out where hes at with info hes gleaned off others

Comment

• Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                                Just found this (on basketball coaches):

Source: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball
                                its a bit rubbish bringing up team sports were there are many advisers on the bench. you aint read this thread 69er

Comment

Working...
                                X