Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should J6 post a video up to prove he's as good as he says Poll..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as golfer said its the crap players who are saying you can be carp to be a coach

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      its a bit rubbish bringing up team sports were there are many advisers on the bench. you aint read this thread 69er
      I have read it. I just thought it might add some extra to the thread. Ignore if it doesn't interest you.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

• I think if you have to be told everything about what you need to do to be a good snooker player, from how to stand, how to hold the cue, where to look, how to screw, stun, run thru, top, side, and even how to pot a ball then you aren't going to be any good at the game at all.

Coaches who take on this type of player are simply taking his money through false hope.

Now if a certain player has just one or two flaws that can be worked on then coaching can help, but not to make a player from scratch.

My practise partner moves his head up on the strike almost every shot, I've been telling him this for years but to no avail. A few months ago I filmed him on his mobile phone and showed him just how bad it was.
        He now stays down on the shot much more often, moving only his eyes to the object ball rather than lifting his head in order to do so. He's a 50% better player now than he was before he saw himself and beats me consistantly, although I have the higher breaks as my cue ball control is better than his, a 70 and a 47 the other night, he won most of the frames without once making a 30+ all night.

So can I also teach him how to control the cue ball better ? and if so what can I tell him, he already has all the shots, his grip is different from mine so what can I pass on to him about what I feel as the tip makes contact with the cue ball ? His cue is only 16 oz's whereas mine is 20, he uses a blue diamond tip and triangle chalk where I use an elkmaster tip and master chalk.
        Surely this is something he has to work on himself as it's all about pace and feel and getting that nice feeling of prolonged contact of tip on cue ball that keeps it under control.

I've gotten him to keep still on the shot more often and the benefits are clear, the rest is up to him. This is how I feel about coaching, pointing out the flaws, but if there are too many flaws then I wouldn't even bother.

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
          You. Because you've now said that shot choice is very important and that its this that separates the consistent 20-30 break players from the rest. And you said a good coach will know all about shot choice and how to play, but may never have made a 100 break, so now I'm totally confused. Because if the coach had a sound technique, and excellent shot choice, then how come they never managed even one 100+ break?
          think someone who can make 70s and 80s regular will know all about shot choice selection. just because they don't make 100+ regular won't be that much of a difference.

and i never said a coach who can makes 20s and 30s will be able to coach someone. as i don't think there are any coaches who haven't reached a very good standard as a player before they turned to coaching
          Last edited by alabadi; 14 October 2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• your out of your depth, please tell me how many players who make regular 70/80 breaks aint made a ton?
            Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
            think someone who can make 70s and 80s regular will know all about shot choice selection. just because they don't make 100+ regular won't be that much of a difference.

and i never said a coach who can makes 20s and 30s will be able to coach someone. as i don't think there are any coaches who haven't reached a very good standard as a player before they turned to coaching
            Last edited by j6uk; 14 October 2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• yeah it does add to the confusion but you did your bit, but maybe play another ten years and do some proper research before you jump on
              Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
              I have read it. I just thought it might add some extra to the thread. Ignore if it doesn't interest you.

Last edited by j6uk; 14 October 2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post

I'm afraid you've just totally confused yourself with this discussion.

You said "a good coach will know the best shot for a certain situation and this has no relation to how many tons he's made". But apparantly now, it has got a relation to how many 70-80 breaks he gets?
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Well known good coaches for sure can play the game to a decent standard. I for one would not accept coaching advice from a guy who has not "been there", meaning no international tournament experience nor years of experience playing against very high level players and also coaching the same high quality players. Ok, maybe the coach is rather old and could not quite produce his old form currently, so his game may not be that stellar any more, that won't matter one little bit if there are at least some high level players who can vouch for his coaching skills.

Unfortunately, there are those World Snooker certified C or even A grade coaches. There are lots of them spread all over Europe outside of UK and they are no good, at least not good for anyone who can play half decent even occasionally. I was very disappointed to hear how easy it is to get a coaching certificate. Almost anyone could get it.

Comment

• yeah but you aint made a ton or done the work necessary
                    Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                    I think if you have to be told everything about what you need to do to be a good snooker player, from how to stand, how to hold the cue, where to look, how to screw, stun, run thru, top, side, and even how to pot a ball then you aren't going to be any good at the game at all.

Coaches who take on this type of player are simply taking his money through false hope.

Now if a certain player has just one or two flaws that can be worked on then coaching can help, but not to make a player from scratch.

My practise partner moves his head up on the strike almost every shot, I've been telling him this for years but to no avail. A few months ago I filmed him on his mobile phone and showed him just how bad it was.
                    He now stays down on the shot much more often, moving only his eyes to the object ball rather than lifting his head in order to do so. He's a 50% better player now than he was before he saw himself and beats me consistantly, although I have the higher breaks as my cue ball control is better than his, a 70 and a 47 the other night, he won most of the frames without once making a 30+ all night.

So can I also teach him how to control the cue ball better ? and if so what can I tell him, he already has all the shots, his grip is different from mine so what can I pass on to him about what I feel as the tip makes contact with the cue ball ? His cue is only 16 oz's whereas mine is 20, he uses a blue diamond tip and triangle chalk where I use an elkmaster tip and master chalk.
                    Surely this is something he has to work on himself as it's all about pace and feel and getting that nice feeling of prolonged contact of tip on cue ball that keeps it under control.

I've gotten him to keep still on the shot more often and the benefits are clear, the rest is up to him. This is how I feel about coaching, pointing out the flaws, but if there are too many flaws then I wouldn't even bother.
                    Last edited by j6uk; 14 October 2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                      Unfortunately, there are those World Snooker certified C or even A grade coaches. There are lots of them spread all over Europe outside of UK and they are no good, at least not good for anyone who can play half decent even occasionally. I was very disappointed to hear how easy it is to get a coaching certificate. Almost anyone could get it.
                      yeah loads of these shag bikes around who're in it for position. little bit like a ref giving you coaching yeah, "whats the best shot to play next ref?" well if you clip off this red and go one two cushions and meet me in my hotel room 212 later you will be okay
                      Last edited by j6uk; 14 October 2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• I take it we are talking a lady ref here!
                        Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                        yeah loads of these shag bikes around who're in it for position. little bit like a ref giving you coaching yeah, "whats the best shot to play next ref?" well if you clip off this red and go one two cushions and meet me in my hotel room 212 later you will be okay

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          your out of your depth, please tell me how many players who make regular 70/80 breaks aint made a ton?
                          Alan Trigg, excellent coach not been a pro, top amateur, i doubt he can make regular tons

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                            I'm afraid you've just totally confused yourself with this discussion.

You said "a good coach will know the best shot for a certain situation and this has no relation to how many tons he's made". But apparantly now, it has got a relation to how many 70-80 breaks he gets?
                            you are missing the whole point , nit picking on single words.

all i am saying is there is no pre requisite of being able to make regular tons to be a good coach. one can still be a good coach if thery have played the game to a high level and have lots of experience, thats it.

Comment

• I'm no plumber but I know if a tap is leaking.
                              Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                              you are missing the whole point , nit picking on single words.

all i am saying is there is no pre requisite of being able to make regular tons to be a good coach. one can still be a good coach if thery have played the game to a high level and have lots of experience, thats it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                                again i disagree, i don't see the correlation between a coach who can make 100 and one that can't are (who hasn't being able to) teach someone to do it.

a coach will have enough knowledge and experience to know what shot is the best to take on to continue a break, the fact he might not be able to make a 100 in his playing career could be due to other factors , like technique , cueball control, splits when breaking up the pack or clusters, might not be bothered and most of all luck .

a good coach will know what is the best shot for a certain situation and this has no relation to how many tons he's made.

sometimes players can miss out on making a ton through bad luck, a kick or just a lack of concentration and may be nothing to do with shot selection.
                                I think you need to read your own post and think about who is nit picking.

What I said was, than unless you're at 100 break standard yourself, then there is no way you could teach anybody else to that level. How could you possibly?

If a player had all the elements required to produce 100 break standard (cue action, stance, sighting, shot choice etc.) then why in the world would he only be making 70 breaks? That just makes no sense at all.

And just to be clear, we're not talking about players that were 100 break standard, but just can't produce it now for whatever reason (ill health, too old etc.), because obviously for them, the knowledge is still there.

It honestly seems like you're just being obtuse for the sake of it.
                                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X