Change of tip size affecting screwback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of tip size affecting screwback

Played for a long time with a 9.5mm tip but recently acquired a new cue with a 10mm tip. I always had to cue very low on the white to get a reasonable screw back (old cloth on table probably doesn't help)

I've found when playing the same shots with the 10mm tip I'm having to play slightly higher on the cueball or else I keep making jump shots.

Is this normal that you need to cue higher on the ball with a larger tip?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

It may well be the balance not the tip size .

I changed cues and used the same size tip and really struggled with screwback , sold the cue on as it didn't suit me . The cue dealer said it was a nice cue but a little too forward heavy .[ Or something like that .....memory going these days ! ]
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

It might not be the size of the tip at all but rather the tip itself or else the shaft flex is a little more stiff. Could also be the balance as Neil says.

Try changing the tip if it's very hard. Not much you can do about shaft flex or balance though.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks guys. Its a new Wooly green supertip. Perhaps just need more time to adjust to the cue as it is over an ounce lighter than the one I was using.
        "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

changing tip size takes some time to get used to it , imo. and sum players can'nt use to it at all !!

Comment

it is most likely to be a combination of factors of which your mind will be number one.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Cue where you normally cue and dome the tip a bit more mav

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                Cue where you normally cue and dome the tip a bit more mav
                Was gonna say that - have you filed the tip properly Mav?!

Comment

Working...
                X