Starting to think it isn't object ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
    Probably because on long pots all you are thinking about is the pot. Maybe you don't cue blacks as well when doubts creep in about position, shot strength etc.

You can't beat the blacks off the spot routine
    Yeah very true i used to do the blacks off the spot routine religiously before matches because it used to give me the confidence that i would definitely score heavily when i got in, i don't even remember when i stopped doing it but i will start again
    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• sighting is timing an timing is everything, even if your cueing straight if your not timing the shot youll be all over the shop

Comment

• Grip is important. For a number of reasons. If you grip too tightly, as you open and close on the strike, you will snatch the cue offline. If it's too loose, it's easy to lose the cue in the hand. I use the first crack of my pinkie, as I think Ronnie does as well. Next up is the ability to symmetrically open and close the grip smoothly, jerk free. So if you begin in the first crack, that's where you should stay and end up once through the ball. This is possible by really opening the back three fingers, the ring should be maintained as much as possible, not too tight, not too loose (Reardon's drop test is a good guide to adequate pressure for the ring). Open and Close in the same grip position. Do these things and you will cue pretty straight. The smoother the better. Obviously, not moving the rest of the body helps. If you deliver the cue straight along the correct shot line you should pot 10/10 in theory.
        Last edited by Master Blaster; 2 July 2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          Take this to the bank also...a lot of the pros when younger will focus on the cueball at the front pause, raise their eyes to the OB near the end of the backswing or at their rear pause, then start the delivery and flick their eyes back to the cueball for just a millisecond and then raise them back to the object ball so they are on the OB at time of strike. I believe this little 'flick' back to the cueball is where a lot of people are getting the idea they have their eyes on the cueball at the time of strike. I believe this just isn't so and even though I rarely agree with vmax kover some of his ideas I do agree with him on this one.
          Yep, I studied myself on a simple shot and long shots and noticed that I do this. At first I thought I was on the OB on the backswing, then flicked to the CB for the shot. But near impact I realised I switched back to the OB. I'm not that young but I do it I believe. I tried to focus entirely on the OB during delivery and missed a lot of long pots!

Rear Pause>OB>CB>OB>Impact

During 3 feathers, I'm switching OB>CB>OB>CB, then the rear pause phase above.

The eye is some instrument alright.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            I didn't want to get involved in this as I have analysed it and watched my own eye movement on video and also Nic Barrow checked my eyes when I had a coaching session with him about 5 years ago.

For me, I focus on the object ball at the front pause and keep the eyes on the OB during the backswing and delivery. This is likely the reason I've never been able to develop a decent rear pause unless I force it. I have experimented with different eye rhythm (which really screws you up by the way) and I have found in order to pot anywhere near consistently I have to be focused on the OB at the time of strike. In addition, since I am older than most my eyes take longer to focus on an object as compared to some 20yr-old hotshot or even pottr.

Take this to the bank also...a lot of the pros when younger will focus on the cueball at the front pause, raise their eyes to the OB near the end of the backswing or at their rear pause, then start the delivery and flick their eyes back to the cueball for just a millisecond and then raise them back to the object ball so they are on the OB at time of strike. I believe this little 'flick' back to the cueball is where a lot of people are getting the idea they have their eyes on the cueball at the time of strike. I believe this just isn't so and even though I rarely agree with vmax kover some of his ideas I do agree with him on this one.

As for aiming and sighting and visual acuity and eye rhythm and how it affects potting I believe as long as a player has decent visual acuity in his ONE sighting eye he will sight a shot correctly. Where the unknown comes in is with cut-back shots to closed pockets like for instance a black off the spot with the cueball somewhere on the top cushion. I believe a lot of this type of pot is missed for 2 reasons, the first being there is very little room for error when potting to a closed pocket and secondly because a player is not sure of the correct sighting angle and may get down on what he believes is the correct line of aim but it really isn't because he isn't lined up to the inside jaw on the side cushion.

Also, I have always insisted that, barring kicks, 99.9% of pots are missed because the player didn't deliver the cue straight down the line of aim and with no unintentional side. I still believe the biggest factor holding back players is the inability to deliver the cue perfectly straight since without that it's not very helpful to start attempting to play position well and also to be using side. In addition, the reason long pots are missed is because there is less room for error over 10ft as compared to a 3-4ft shot, many of which even in pro matches will slop in hitting one of the jaws or maybe 1/4" off centre-pocket but with a longer pot that 1/4" of 3ft turns into 1/2" error and he jaws the pot and misses. Nothing to do with being unable to sight the shot.

That's my 2 cents worth.
            Come on Tel you love it really! Nice post by the way your input spot on as always

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              sighting is timing an timing is everything, even if your cueing straight if your not timing the shot youll be all over the shop
              This makes sense as well, its like a vicious circle of fail when things aren't going well

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                yeah, it has bollock-all to do with eyesight. you miss over longer distances because your fundamentals aren't right. distance amplifies your lack of technique.
                Yes of course, I don't even need to wear specs, simply perfect a straight cue action with practise along the baulkline, looking at my cue as I do so, take that to the match table and everything will be hunky dory
                Whuch would you rather have, great eyesight or a great cue action?

Comment

• i got poor eye sight with a bad right eye thats out of focus, an if my timings on song i can play pritty well. i guess its all the work iv put in to develop a nice cue action, all the cueing along the baulk line. or maybe all those 60+/tons over the years were just luck

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                    Whuch would you rather have, great eyesight or a great cue action?
                    You can control how good your cue action is. I would work on that, rather than work on my eyesight. I'll leave the eyesight to the optician.

Comment

Working...
                    X