Do you practice getting snookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you practice getting snookers

During a match , balls end up in random positions, taking this in to account how do you practice getting snookers in solo practice have you any routine that can be used to improve this part of ones game.

Do you practice getting snookers

I never do but I think if you know the angles you should be able to lay snookers.
    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

My brother and I play each other more than we play someone else, and have developed an interesting dynamic. I tend have the lead when we get to the final colors, so he is frequently in need of snookers, so he has developed a skill, out of necessity, for laying them. Much better than I have, for I rarely need them.
      The flip side is I seem to be better at escaping them. Perhaps for the same reason. With all that we seem to win an even split of games.

Comment

It depends on your philosophy regarding how you play the game, and the level you are at. Your normal practice routines for developing cue ball control, should suffice for snookers. It's just a question of understanding where you want to leave the balls...or the line (for example behind the line of colours) that you want the cue ball to follow. I'd be more inclined to practice one and two cushion escapes, and pace to nestle on the ball(s) (but maybe that's because I'm not as good at that as I should be). People often talk about safety like it's a different game from potting...in some respects it is. There is a difference in potting and safety in that with one your aim is to leave a ball afterwards, in the other the aim is not to, but it's exactly the same skill set. I have a decent safety game for my level because I care, and think about, my safety shots. The position is often harder, because there is often further to travel, but you don't have to worry so much about the pot! Adjust your mind, and the rest will follow - at least at your ability level.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
          People often talk about safety like it's a different game from potting...in some respects it is.
          But it is different because of object ball control. When I started to play snooker I only attempted to hide the cue ball or leave it tough, with no definite destination for object ball.

Comment

So when you're potting you don't aim for a definite destination for the object ball? I do (the pocket!), although granted I don't always achieve it....my point is that whether potting, or playing safety (with a snooker a specific example of that), both require cue ball control. The same action, the same skills...just a different positional objective. Although the pace of an object ball becomes a consideration, the exact position of it is often less critical - the likelihood is that you will be playing either the cue or object ball down a specific line, not to a specific position, or stunning in behind a ball and sending the object ball away the other side of the ball (often a very big target indeed).

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
              I never do but I think if you know the angles you should be able to lay snookers.
              Yep and if you know the angles you can get out of them. In and out of snookers is also about pace of the CB and OB. Snookers and escapes are about angles and pace (and sometimes a drop of side/spin).

Comment

What MB said

Comment

when i get out of snookers i always try to go for the OB that has the less risk of leaving my opponent an easy shot. sometimes it might not be possible but most times you will have a choice, unless there is only one OB available.

so many times i see players not take care when they are snookered they think this is an easy escape and just get down and play. They may get out of the snooker but leave plenty on, which inevitably more times than not loses them the frame.

so for me i will try and aim to hit the OB at a specific angle or weight to not give anything away.

with regards to practicing , i do practice getting out of them by just placing the cueball behind each of the baulk colours and place reds in different positions and try and hit them. i rarely practice laying them because as someone has already said every frame the balls will be in different positions and you will have to decide there and then what is the best option.
                  Last edited by alabadi; 8 July 2015, 02:54 AM.

Comment

The most amazing get out for me is the glancing blow. It was advocated by Willie Thorne but a lot of players won't play it now, they prefer dead weight into the cluster; minimum risk. It's a real confident player who will take the glancing blow on. I'm struggling to find a youtube video of this shot, maybe Deano or someone can help?

Comment

https://youtu.be/5UzjyNmaZAw

2:51

Not as intended, mind

Comment

...and every single one of those snookers laid was accurate position on the cue ball with the object ball played into an area.

Comment

I don't necessarily practice laying snookers but I'd say I've learnt from mistakes over the years and can spot the most appropriate shot.

I come to the table and think "where do I want my cue ball" followed by "where is the object ball going". Too many players neglect to work out where the object ball is likely to go, e.g playing into a pack of reds and pushing one over a pocket.
                          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Or breaking off and leaving a red over the pocket last Sunday? x

Comment

as i said...have to learn from mistakes!!! What a bugger of a shot the break off can be anyway, very often you see pros leave an open red!
                              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X