Quesiton About Nic's Getting Down motion and Feathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quesiton About Nic's Getting Down motion and Feathering

Was looking at Nic's videos today, and noticed two things in his 134 clearance video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQgAexvmbfU

1. When Nic gets down, it seems his left hand would touch table first at some distance behind the final bridge position, and then as he bends down, his bridge hand would then slide up to the final position.

2. Before his bridge hand is in the final position, his feathering is already starting.

These are apparent in multiple shots, and one instance I saw it was at 6:49min into the video:

Any comment on why he's doing this? helps to keep on the line? Why start feathering early? I always gets into position, tip against cueball, then start feathering.

Thanks!

He probably doesn't even notice he is doing it. Even the greatest players and top coaches have flaws or habits in their game that might be unorthodox but if the balls go in it doesn't matter. Murphy also feathers as he goes down or did. He may have changed since he started getting help from Chris Henry.
    coaching is not just for the pros
    www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

davis would feather up to the white as he was getting down, no doubt he would have picked it up from him

Comment

Originally Posted by thunder66 View Post
        Was looking at Nic's videos today, and noticed two things in his 134 clearance video:

1. When Nic gets down, it seems his left hand would touch table first at some distance behind the final bridge position, and then as he bends down, his bridge hand would then slide up to the final position.

2. Before his bridge hand is in the final position, his feathering is already starting.

These are apparent in multiple shots, and one instance I saw it was at 6:49min into the video:

Any comment on why he's doing this? helps to keep on the line? Why start feathering early? I always gets into position, tip against cueball, then start feathering.

Thanks!
        Nic doesn't teach that...he teaches the bridge hand should hit the table and not move either sideways or forwards. As has been said I think he's doing it unconsciously
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          Originally Posted by thunder66 View Post

Thanks!
          Nic doesn't teach that...he teaches the bridge hand should hit the table and not move either sideways or forwards. As has been said I think he's doing it unconsciously
          You sure about that Terry?
          #jeSuisByrom

Comment

I think that was what he meant. Slide up to final position and not sideways. I remembered reading or hearing that it should slide forward a little towards direction of shot but i could be wrong. Would love to hear and learn the correct way too.

Comment

I wonder where he is playing, looks like someones house.

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                You sure about that Terry?
                He is on here from time to time so why not PM him and ask him to respond in this string. I watched the video and was surprised he was sliding his bridge hand forward on a lot of shots all the while feathering the cueball. This is definitely not what he teaches when he does coach training. I also noticed him using a quite weak bridge on some of the more simple shots. There were also a couple of missed positional shots he saved.

This is not his training facility and this table is a little slower than it should be.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

The reason I asked is we all know that Nic is a cracking player but he's not so good that he pots balls in his sleep!
                  #jeSuisByrom

Comment

None of it matters. Just stay still and deliver the cue straight.
                    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

when you step up in class all the little things that seemingly didnt really matter all of a sudden become issues, as your game unravels. under the pressure from the player with the better safety/position/scoring/in-shots an better technique

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                        when you step up in class all the little things that seemingly didnt really matter all of a sudden become issues, as your game unravels. under the pressure from the player with the better safety/position/scoring/in-shots an better technique
                        This is true, but you've just got to get a good grasp of the game in the first place.

We can all look at any player, and pick apart tiny little things that they do with their game.

The biggest problem people on here face, is working out what they need to worry about, and what they don't.
                        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Gavin
                          I do know I'm doing it.
                          The first thing is sliding the hand in - which every pro does to some degree.
                          Only club players hover their hand above the table and plant it directly into the final position - sliding makes it more fluid and precise to get down and approach on the line of aim as it forces the bridge hand to get on the line of aim early.

Then there is a choice of two options when getting down to the shot - doing it that way like Shaun Murphy or stopping then cueing like Judd Trump.
                          Right handed, I keep my sense of rhythm by doing it that way.
                          Left handed, I have to do it the Trump way to give a sense of confidence that my aiming is ok.

Nic
                          Improving Your Game, From Every Angle: The Snooker Gym

Comment

That is a very good observation

Comment

I was definitely influenced by him.

Comment

Working...
                              X