Snooker Quirks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Quirks

Lots of good players have their own little quirks - particular to their own set up.

For a long shot only I line up the cue under one eye - and I used to have a quirk of cupping my little finger around the butt of the cue when I used a smaller cue which helped me cue straighter and drive through better for some reason also when cueing over a ball - Chinese - I look at the white last as I feel this helps.

What is your particular quirk and how does it help you?
    Last edited by Byrom; 2 September 2015, 08:27 AM.

a slurp of ale between shots

Comment

Snooker Quirks

clacking my magnetic chalk holder as I just know Leo can hear it!!!!!

Comment

- Seriously it is a good question don't you guys think - there is no such thing as a textbook player I think - and almost every good player has certain habits or quirks -

If I could pick a few out to try out one would definitely be the Mark Williams underarm quirky thing

Comment

Does joe swail's motorcycle grip count as one?

Comment

absolutely - I am guessing Joe learnt to play like tis from being very little and not being able to reach the table and he just stayed that way but might be wrong.

Last edited by Byrom; 2 September 2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Name any pro player if there is footage I tell you his quirk - many have more than one. They all have something different slightly different from what is considered the norm.

My point would be no -one is completely textbook - they have practiced to make these habits work for them - habits or quirks can become natural to you and help your own particular game. Just wondered if you are at the stage to have any and if so what are they and why do they help you.
              Last edited by Byrom; 2 September 2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                Name any pro player if there is footage I tell you his quirk - many have more than one. They all have something different slightly different from what is considered the norm.

My point would be no -one is completely textbook - they have practiced to make these habits work for them - habits or quirks can become natural to you and help your own particular game. Just wondered if you are at the stage to have any and if so what are they and why do they help you.
                I think Steve Davis came the closest to a textbook technique but I agree with you, they all have different 'quirks' as you put it. As for me, mine are too numerous to list.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  I think Steve Davis came the closest to a textbook technique but I agree with you, they all have different 'quirks' as you put it. As for me, mine are too numerous to list.
                  Davis was the archetypal text book player as most of the textbooks where based or written around his setup - although he played around with his setup quite a bit changing his stance grip and allsorts - though more minor his quirks are still there to see - the way - his manner in which he approached the table and strutted around it like he was above it all - perhaps even the way he sticks his tongue out on the shot. Mannerisms are quirks too.

What quirks do you have Terry and how do they help you?

Comment

Davis was the archetypal text book player as most of the textbooks where based or written around his setup - although he played around with his setup quite a bit changing his stance grip and allsorts - though more minor his quirks are still there to see - the way - his manner in which he approached the table and strutted around it like he was above it all - perhaps even the way he sticks his tongue out on the shot. Mannerisms are quirks too.

What quirks do you have Terry and how do they help you?
                    I too look at the cueball in a chinese snooker but I don't think that's a quirk just being sure I don't foul. Otherwise I feel I'm fairly close to the ideal but I'm probably doing things which are odd or different. I would have to video myself to find them as they're all unconscious.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I have a couple of them, mostly bad haha. I tend to slide into the line of shots with my bridge hand once already down to adjust aim and hand distance slightly, on some shots I turn or jerk my head to the side at point of contact (big no no) And one that im still experimenting with is having my cue in different positions under my chin (left eye, centre, in-between, etc)

Comment

I've always like Selby's quirk of his side to side rocking of his head

Comment

Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                          I have a couple of them, mostly bad haha. I tend to slide into the line of shots with my bridge hand once already down to adjust aim and hand distance slightly, on some shots I turn or jerk my head to the side at point of contact (big no no) And one that im still experimenting with is having my cue in different positions under my chin (left eye, centre, in-between, etc)

Notice how in asking this question it makes you think about the answer so you also identify with your faults and perceived inconsistency's?

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                            I've always like Selby's quirk of his side to side rocking of his head
                            Yes that is a quirk that seems to be part of his rhythm - probably aids his timing of the shot - totally against the textbook that promotes the keep the head still way - but he is consistent and actually still as he drives through - Alex Higgins another who moved too but he too had very good timing as he hit through the ball - right on the edge sometimes though and no discernable pause either.

Alex had more than a few quirks -

Like I say ever player has something or other - Always wondered why Mark Allen does that funny thing with his chin - ug ug ug

Comment

- Seriously it is a good question don't you guys think - there is no such thing as a textbook player I think - and almost every good player has certain habits or quirks -

If I could pick a few out to try out one would definitely be the Mark Williams underarm quirky thing

Could'nt agree more with this !!
                              However i would say S Lee had a textbook technique !! Wached him a few times and could'nt find anything !!
                              Intresting thread , btw !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X