sighting when down on the shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sighting when down on the shot

hi, i have read all the threads on aiming and sighting, my question is when down on the shot people say we flick our eyes from where we intend to hit both balls .i have read coaching books saying when sighting we look along the line of the shot to the contact point on the object we wish to strike . my question is do we actually look at the intended line between the two balls on the baize of the table while down on the shot. in short, do we look at the line of aim on the cloth between the 2 balls when down on the shot .

i dont see how just looking at both contact points means you will pot the ball ,surely we have to look at a intended line to pot the ball

any help would be great .

Sighting is something I've spent a lot of time experimenting with and I think 90% of it is done standing up. I size up the potting angle while standing and then align myself in to the shot. This is crucial because any movement while down on the shot that moves the tip is going to cause havoc with consistency. Even a minute movement is going to affect the shot and any good player stands out when they have a steady and solid cue action.

I naturally will look at the cue ball point of contact first as I'm bending and then switch to the object ball while featuring and keep my eye on the object ball during striking. The whole process shouldn't need deviations and it I find I'm not aligned straight I will never be afraid to stand up again and re sight the shot. I used to make adjustments when down on the shot but realised this was the lazy approach and wasn't even paying off. For a while I experimented with switching back to the point of the cue ball as I striked and I was potting everything in sight but it didn't feel right. Hendy is known for even looking at the pocket when feathering but I don't think that is needed to aid in potting and can be seen as unnecessary eye movement. All those calculations should be worked out before you even touch the table to take the shot.
    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Depends what player you are as we are all different, depending on what shot I'm playing will determine whether I flick my eyes between the cue ball and object ball, most of the time there's no need for me to look at the cue ball at all if it's a normal centre ball shot but other shots will require me to flick between the cue ball and object ball. It's all about what you're used to and what suits us best.

Comment

pcb:

You're over-thinking it. Your eyes should move between cueball and object ball or at least check the cueball once and then focus on the object ball. How you get your eyes to the object ball is not important and will come naturally.

For myself I check from the 'V' of my bridge to the back of the cueball and then up to the object ball during the front pause and I'm confirming everything looks good and I'm on the line of aim I selected when I was standing behind the shot.

End of story.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by pcb View Post
          hi, i have read all the threads on aiming and sighting, my question is when down on the shot people say we flick our eyes from where we intend to hit both balls .i have read coaching books saying when sighting we look along the line of the shot to the contact point on the object we wish to strike . my question is do we actually look at the intended line between the two balls on the baize of the table while down on the shot. in short, do we look at the line of aim on the cloth between the 2 balls when down on the shot .

i dont see how just looking at both contact points means you will pot the ball ,surely we have to look at a intended line to pot the ball

any help would be great .
          There is no actual line on the table to focus on is there. The line of aim exists in your brain from the information you give it by looking at cue ball and object ball.
          If you look at the contact point on the object ball, the line extends all the way to it, if you look at the cue ball the line ends there, so if you want to direct the cue ball along the line all the way to the contact point on the object ball then that is where you should be looking before you take your stance, once the feet are in place and you are getting down, then look to the cue ball to address your tip to it, once down the cue should be on the line of aim, the cue ball isn't going to move, so from then on you should be looking at the contact point on the object ball to guide your hand, cue and cue ball to what you're looking at.

Sounds easy but it isn't if it doesn't come naturally.

Comment

When standing - stand behind the shot/white - imagine the area you need to get the white next for the one after - then when it clicks where you need to hit it and how hard to get that desired position etc., then get down on the line of the shot

Keep your eyes focused on the object ball getting down

The bit you always need to hit is the farthest point on the object ball from the pocket - you find that point if you imagine a line from the pocket running through the centre of the pocket right through the object ball centre - basically the back of the ball. Just get down hit that point on the OB - keep your eyes on where you are aiming. If you cant see this line or point say on a quarter ball then use ghost ball technique or work out the angle with experience basically.

Some players look at the cue ball to check their aim on the front pause - I think I do in my peripheral vison not sure really but my eyes switch to focus on where I am sending the white on delivery.

I experimented once looking at the cue ball instead and could I not pot a ball so I don't mess with sighting anymore - but some things work for others -

I suggest you just do what's natural for you. All you should think is when up shot u need to play - position you need to get - visualise doing it/making the shot - get down and play it and try and get in your natural rhythm. Anyone who plays to a certain standard knows this part is important to develop your own consistent pre shot routine - make it repetitive and you will get better.
            Last edited by Byrom; 10 November 2015, 11:41 PM.

Comment

hi - thanks to all for the good advice.

Comment

Working...
              X