Stunning off cushions for position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stunning off cushions for position

Apologies for the 'rough and ready' effort at the diagram (im calling it modern art ) but i hope even that gets the picture across more effectively than words.

What i want to be able to do in this simple scenario is to consistently get the cue ball into poistion Y after potting the black. I can make the position easily using a bit of left hand side, but in attempting to improve potting reliabilty, im trying to do it with no side if this is possible ?

Stun puts the ball in position 1. Screw gets it into position x. I believe I have occasionally got the ball into position Y using just stun ?

Its pretty hard to work out what causes what effects. Especially when I tend to vary quite a lot as to how well I cue various shots.

Where should i be hitting on the white to get the desired position, and what sort of action should i be hitting the white with ? (punchy. follow through etc ?)
    Attached Files
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

You're better off learning for yourself rather than people telling you..

You answered the question yoursel' in part - when you have a consistant cue action, you'll be able to judge much better.

When you're playing the shot mark the cloth with your chalk where you want the white to land, and mark the white at it's starting point. Then play with varying levels of strength and point of contact on the cue ball to get different effects.

What your asking here isn't explained in a few words - it's something that has to be learned to get a proper understanding, when you're around the black spot like this.

Comment

Try setting up the black on its spot for about a 3/4 pot. Place the colours in a line across the table between the black and pink spots. The aim is to play the white using only topspin,stun and screw (no side at all) and cannon the coloured ball you nominate. You will find that to hit the colour nearest to the white's starting position you will be playing a screw shot whereas to hit the colour further away you will need to play with topspin. The exercise allows you to know exactly where to strike the white to get to your required position. All you do is hit higher or lower on the white and when successful you will remember how and where you struck the white.
      Attached Files
      coaching is not just for the pros
      www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Thanks for your replies folks.

I will give your suggestions a try.

:snooker:
        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
          Apologies for the 'rough and ready' effort at the diagram (im calling it modern art ) but i hope even that gets the picture across more effectively than words.

What i want to be able to do in this simple scenario is to consistently get the cue ball into poistion Y after potting the black. I can make the position easily using a bit of left hand side, but in attempting to improve potting reliabilty, im trying to do it with no side if this is possible ?

Stun puts the ball in position 1. Screw gets it into position x. I believe I have occasionally got the ball into position Y using just stun ?

Its pretty hard to work out what causes what effects. Especially when I tend to vary quite a lot as to how well I cue various shots.

Where should i be hitting on the white to get the desired position, and what sort of action should i be hitting the white with ? (punchy. follow through etc ?)
          with the positions of the balls as you have them there to get the cueball to position Y you have to play with a touch of left hand side...but dont hit the bottom of the cueball......Aim at the centre of the white and just move ur cue slightly leftish and the ball will come back roughly to the Y every time from that angle.....

if you play centre of the white and stun it it will go over the black spot area comming of the cush. if you play with spin youll end up on the side cushing.......play it with stun and left hand side is the only way......

Comment

positioning

Coach Gav is right.I was teaching this to a junior last week, a good way to demontrate this is a half ball black and play the shot each time hitting through the white ball about 1 inch, starting with centre ball then moving down the white until you get to the bottom. You will see that each time the white hits the cushion the angle gets wider. i.e playing bottom will get you to position Y. Hopefully this will help.

Comment

I hit this shot with a touch of side, about center or a bit above center, not bottom. I want to play this shot so i am on the high side of the red for my next black. it is not a tough shot because you are hitting it with soft to medium speed and the adjustment is very minimal with top and side.
              You can get to Y if you play with a center stun may be a hair on the high side. You do not want the angle to be too wide coming off the cushion so not too much stun as that woudl put your contact piint with the cushion too back toward the pocket. I dont like to play this shot with no side because speed becomes very important, and the margin of error is smaller. Sometimes, two rails is a good option with this shot. Again, I like a touch of running side when goign two cushion, so I do nto have to hit the shot as hard. With two cushion, I am less likely to have a very steep angle on my next red when i need to be high.
              Like to know what others think.
              Last edited by poolqjunkie; 12 September 2008, 01:34 AM.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
              X