Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing after work

Hello

I have problems playing snooker after working/studying the whole day.
    I play so mutch worse than on a sunday where I'm relaxed.

The biggest difference occurs in the aiming.
    I'm using the "virtual ball" method and when I'm relaxed I can easily see the correct angle and more importent can still see it when I'm in the queuing position. But when I'm mentally exhausted I'm still more or less able to see the right angle, but when I'm in the queuing position I feel like I "forgot" the correct angle and don't feel commited anymore.

I'm sure some of you also experienced this circumstance.
    Does anyone has a good tip other than playing only on sundays :-)

Thanks Stefan

Stop working/studying. Snooker is much more important.
    "We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo

Comment

Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
      Hello

I have problems playing snooker after working/studying the whole day.
      I play so mutch worse than on a sunday where I'm relaxed.

The biggest difference occurs in the aiming.
      I'm using the "virtual ball" method and when I'm relaxed I can easily see the correct angle and more importent can still see it when I'm in the queuing position. But when I'm mentally exhausted I'm still more or less able to see the right angle, but when I'm in the queuing position I feel like I "forgot" the correct angle and don't feel commited anymore.

I'm sure some of you also experienced this circumstance.
      Does anyone has a good tip other than playing only on sundays :-)

Thanks Stefan

It sounds quite simple to me. If your going to your club to practice after work/studying and your on your own limit your practice sessions to around 20-25 minut spells. This way you can then go off, have a drink or do whatever you want and just have a small break so as your not concentrating for any one length of time.

If you have to/want to play after a long stressful day thats great but again after every frame take a couple of minutes (Maybe go to the toilets) just to break away from concentrating for too long.

I hope this simple advice helps you and your game.
      Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
      Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I realized exactly the same thing when playing tired / after a hard day of work.

I aim the same way (ghost ball) and eventually found out why i miss so many more in that stat - well here is the reason (for me - see if this is the same for you):

Normally, I imagine the "ghost ball", and while going down into my adressing position, i keep my eyes on the ghost ball/object ball couple. I get into my cueing position very well behind the cue ball, with my tip where i want to hit the ball, about 5 mm away from the white (1/4 of 1/12 of 1/3 of a yard to use your stupid measurements ).
        Then, already down, i switch my eyes to the cueball to check if I really hit it where intended to, and switch back to object ball. Using this technique, whenever i look at the ghost ball/object all, I can virtally "see" a thin line on the cloth, where I want to shoot the ball along.

When I get tired, I start to speed up my routine - at least I did to - not being very careful about keeping the eyes on the ghost ball while settling down into adress position.
        My view left the object ball/ghost ball just the fraction of a second earlier as usual, getting to the cueball, and that made me lose the line. Playing like that, I miss a lot more.

It's hard to remark, because it's just such a little bit earlier i change my view - but definitely too early.

Let's see whether it can help you too to be really careful about how you get into your shots. Try the same thing:
        - Play slow if you tend to speed up
        - Drill yourself to keep keep keep your eyes on the ball you want to play until you are fine settled, THEN, and not a millisecond earlier, look at the cue ball. If ever.

Comment

Sorry ghost ball??
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I experience that a lot too. However, my suggestion is to get a really good sleep at night before the day you plan to play after work. And, do NOT drink too much coffee, beer or coke during work time and playing, just pure water. Hopefully this helps you a little.

Comment

Stress, Dehydration and Tiredness.

StefanP:

If one is tired or dehydrated, the first place which is affected is the eyes, this is the same for one who is stressed.

Simply, stress does not encourage good play, relaxed minds are able to think a lot clearer.

Good snooker requires concentration, if all the concentration you have is used up during the day, then you will be emotionally 'drained', both physically and mentally.

The only advice I can think of is during your work/study periods is to have 'breaks' (to relax, unfortunately not 147s) to make sure you become less drained out to break the sessions up and keep concentration and relaxation up for a longer period.

RocketRoy1983:

The ghost ball aiming method is just imagining a ball where the cue ball would be when it contacts the object ball. Imagine a plant (balls touching) toward the centre of a pocket, the ball furthest from the pocket is where the cue ball will need to be to pot the object ball to the pocket centre, this ball is imagined, though it isn't actually there, so it's a 'ghost ball', as known in American terminology. It follows the aiming technique of aiming for the furthest part away from the target on the object ball. I say 'target' and not 'pocket' as the pocket isn't always the target, for example, on safety shots. Then simply aim to this ghost ball, it isn't brilliant as it takes your mind away from the 'actual' object ball contact point and it can create confusion.

bongo

Comment

Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
                I experience that a lot too. However, my suggestion is to get a really good sleep at night before the day you plan to play after work. And, do NOT drink too much coffee, beer or coke during work time and playing, just pure water. Hopefully this helps you a little.
                I'll keep that advice in mind Michael for when we play.
                Maybe I'll win next time!

=o]

Noel

Comment

lol, Friday evening, hopefully, I won't experience that again.

Originally Posted by noel View Post
                  I'll keep that advice in mind Michael for when we play.
                  Maybe I'll win next time!

=o]

Noel

Comment

Working...
                  X