Pause problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Feyd-Rautha View Post
    Last week, I managed to partly solve this problem. I used the tip from bongo: start slow, end fast when striking. When I do that, I'm able to cue beautifully, no forcing at all and I can pot better. But I need enough room for my hand in order to put my cue far enough backwards. So, when the cue-ball is against a cushion, I still have this problem.

I also have a longer pause than I had before (up to 5 sec. I guess) and therefore I focus better on my shot.

I'm working on it and it seems that I have some progress.

thats cool , from the cushion , try to first extend the cue directly over the top of the cue ball before you start your waggles/feathers, this effectively enables you to slow down the cue as it's drawn back over the cue ball , making the pause seem slower & less obvious, this will have the added bonus of also making aiming easier & more acurate.
    Last edited by kevy62; 18 November 2008, 10:34 AM.
    don't miss!

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
      May I suggest to anyone who is looking for help on this type of problem or any kind of problem to take a look on youtube at understanding modern snooker with jack karnehm. Its not so modern (1985) but its great.
      It is great! Thanks for that advice.

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by jimlad View Post
        I have a reluctance to let go of the cue after the backswing because I don't feel confident that I have focused on the right spot on the object ball, it's worse on longer/more difficult shots and the more I become aware of it the worse it becomes.
        Jim
        this sounds a silly and condescending question but it really isn't intended to be ... focus has a number of different meanings - it can mean focus as in concentrate on the point on the object ball you want to hit ... or it can mean focus as in the muscles of your eye pulling your eye lens about (cornea?) so you can see the object ball clearly ...

I am very long sighted so the object ball is always in focus (as in lens focus) but it's equally important to make sure I am focussed (as in concentrating) on the object ball when I deliver the cue ...

So I don't pause for lens-focus, but I will pause until I'm happy I am 100% concentrating-focussed on the object ball and the delivery stroke ...

That's just me - we're all different

And on the other question that was raised (cue ball close to the cushion so having to bridge on the rail) I am a great believer in bringing your butt-hand (ie right hand if you are right handed) well up the butt of the cue to make a shortened but much more comfortable action - I find if I keep my right hand in it's normal position on the butt, it's way too far back to cue with a smooth straight action ...

Just my thoughts - I'd welcome everyone's feedback as Jim has also said ...

Comment

yes you "must" shorten your grip when playing from the cushion, just until it becomes natural, as a rule of thumb, try to keep your back hand within it's normal piston like movement & don't be tempted to over extend. This is a simular technique as employed when in amongst the balls, (it is just natural to shorten up) but in this case it is more critical/difficult. You will need to compress your cue action until it is comfortable for "you" to play the shot.
          Also try to pull your bridge hand as far back from the cushion as possible making an extended long bridge, this is done with your finger tips out streched, so they are just in contact with the cushion. This will help in many ways including aiming/sighting & being able to keep your cue as near level as is possible to play the shot.

Try to make sure you are "focussed" mentally on the red/colour & actually looking at that ball when you deliver the cue to complete the stroke.
          (you should not be looking at the cueball when you let the cue go through)

just in the same way as a dart player only looks where he is throwing the dart, IE: he is looking at the bullseye, & not the dart.
          don't miss!

Comment

Working...
          X