Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons for your major breakthrough of your game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Beyond astute coaching and regular correct practising of the shots you tend to miss,
    the secret ingredient... the magic potion... is...

The Buffalo Theory (as explained by Cliff in 'Cheers')

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it it the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
    In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.
    Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.
    And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter (and play snooker better) after a few beers."

Cheers!

=o)

Noel
    Lol, why haven't they told us this in med school?

On a more serious note, videotaping myself was my way of stepping up a few gears. I could easily see which parts of stance, cueing etc. that wasn't 100%, and correct this much quicker than I could have achieved in any other way.
    Last edited by hegeland; 27 December 2008, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
      Hi,

Please share how you achieved a major breakthorugh in your snooker game?

e.g: change of cue?
      change of cue action (pause, swing, alignement, be precise please) ?

My major breakthrough achieved was gripping the cue at a more forward position, my break improved from my highest of 52 to 92.

Thanks
      Practice and enjoying playing the game.

My break building improved when I began doing the line up regularly. It may seem tedious to some people but I really enjoyed it and it got me into the habit of playing the white ball into areas rather than trying to get it on a pinpoint which is the essence of breakbuilding IMHO.

Comment

my breakthrough came after I changed my grip
        I used to hold my cue so tight with all my fingers that I can actually see my hand twist after each shot which of coz gives unintentional spins on the cue ball. now after I tried to imitate O'Sullivan's grip and start using only middle and ring finger, my hand doesnt twist anymore and my potting became more accurate.

Comment

Since having weekly (or more) sessions with a mate (pub pool), it has gone from just casual to both of us having our own cues, mechanical bridges etc, and we are even practicing mid-week.

What helped for me was initally finding a spot on the object ball to cue at (though it's technically wrong), though this has recently helped me get the ghost ball theory right. It just "clicked" in my head one day.

In our last 3 sessions, I have been down at least 4-2, even 4-1 once. So i made myself really concentrate hard, and 2 out of the 3 sessions I have come back to win 5-4. The other session I only lost by 1 shot anyway. So it's the pressure for me.

Tonight we're resuming after the Christmas break. In our "series", I'm doing 4-3, so I need to pull off a victory tonight!
          Last edited by jimbyjoe; 7 January 2009, 05:09 AM. Reason: Left off info

Comment

realaxing my grip slightly which seems to be helping!
            "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I got a new, slightly heavier cue and stopped rushing my shots. My break highest break improved from around the 50-60 mark to the 90s, although I have only achieved this a couple of times. I am beginning to get regular breaks in the 30s and 40s, with 50s and 60s coming easier now as well.
              Cheers
              Steve

Comment

Originally Posted by Welshsteve View Post
                I got a new, slightly heavier cue and stopped rushing my shots. My break highest break improved from around the 50-60 mark to the 90s, although I have only achieved this a couple of times. I am beginning to get regular breaks in the 30s and 40s, with 50s and 60s coming easier now as well.
                Almost exactly what happened to me Welshsteve.
                I acquired a Mike Wooldridge 19 oz. cue which caused me to re-learn cueing.
                It's beautifully balanced at 17" and feels firm and smooth and responsive but required special care in amongst the pack with the unusual weight (for me).
                After a few months serious practice it started to pay off!
                I've experimented with a few different tips, but hope to try out a MW Super or Laminated one day (sadly, I can't find any in Canada).
                All considered, a worthwhile investment in my game.

Cheers and Congrats on your improvement!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Cheers, and congrat to you too noel. I'm having a bit of pro-coaching on Monday evening, and I'm hoping he can give me some pointers and tips to help improve my game further.
                  Cheers
                  Steve

Comment

My major breakthrough came in the mid to late 80's having played competative snooker for 10yrs or so and hitting breaks in the 50's and 60's regularly and 70's and 80's less frequent.

Up until that time I'd concentrated on top and bottom spin for position and only used side on safety shots. I decided to concentrate on mastering side for position and spent a week lining the reds up between brown and black and concentrating on using side for position to help build breaks.

That bumped my breaks up to the 60's and 70's and the occasional century.

A big breakthrough for me.
                    ---------------

Tenko

Comment

Originally Posted by Stunrunthru View Post
                      Practice and enjoying playing the game.

My break building improved when I began doing the line up regularly. It may seem tedious to some people but I really enjoyed it and it got me into the habit of playing the white ball into areas rather than trying to get it on a pinpoint which is the essence of breakbuilding IMHO.
                      Good point, I see a lot of players who want to improve and they do the line up and they do it for 15 minutes and then give up. I tell them there is no point in doing line ups unless you are willing to commit an hour at least every time they practice because snooker is about repetitive shots. You become so used to getting down and playing a half ball black from the spot that it becomes engrained in your memory how to play it. With the the line up you are basically working on simple break building that is 80% of scoring in snooker, the other 20% is decision making and the occasional brilliant shot to get you out of trouble. Once you master the line up properly you'll be knocking in regular 70+ breaks, if not then there is something technical or maybe a mental thing holding you back.

Comment

I realised that most of the better players were short arses whose cue actions were not restricted by the length of a standard cue, so I had a cue hand made to my own spec to suit my height.
                        Now I can alter the position of my grip for close or long shots while keeping my bridge arm straight and use a longer back swing for power shots which enables me to accelerate the cue without snatching.

Comment

Totally agree on the line-up comment from cueman.

I'd never got a 50+ break until I started spending time doing line-ups. Now they come regularly in practice, although chances are few and far between in matches (one frame snooker for you).
                          Cheers
                          Steve

Comment

Well my breakthrough is still in the making!
                            I'm very lucky to know Del Hill the worlds top snooker coach and thanks to him and his son Tom, my game has improved greatly.
                            Del corrected the way I stand and cue the ball. I now stand square on to the shot, no longer cue 'long' and I use what he calls the 'Del Drive' which is basically driving the cue through the ball by dropping the elbow. All I need now is more table time which I'm trying to do but difficult when you are out of work! The breaks are coming slowly but I feel more confident knowing that the mechanical side is correct. It's all down to practice now!
                            www.neiljacklin.co.uk

Comment

My game has improved a lot after I underwent lasik surgery 11 months back.My eye sight was really bad it was -4 cylindrical for both eyes but after Lasik I can see the thin angles and play long pots and also concentrate much better.Now I make regular 70-80 breaks and I have made 16 centuries till now.
                              My deep screw shot
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

well, I haven't been playing snooker for a long time, so the main reason was this sudden increase of hours played a week. But when I practice, or when I play a match with my buddies, I can play like really bad because I don't have that many hours of snooker, but my game can improve like 200% if I'm aware that someone is watching me play. I can even be nervous but I'll play a very decent snooker, this has boosted my self-confidence quite a bit

Comment

Working...
                                X