Cue Ball Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Ball Movement

Can anyone give me tips on how you move the white ball a lot after a very gentle shot because for me to move it a lot I need to hit it hard and most of the time I will miss after. I always see Luca Brecel :snookerBelgium Genius) playing very gentle shots having the white ball move up the table.

So if anyone has a tip PLEASE tell me because I'm practicing everyday on my full-sized table and I'm not improving on that area. I've mastered basic back tip and top spin, but I need coaching tips on advancing through to improving on advanced spin.

Cheers hope you can help me

I aint avery good so I sometimes I cant even screw back

Maybe aim more to the side to get more spin

Comment

Just remember that if the angle is thin on the shot you are playing (1/4 ball or less) the cue ball will have more momentum in it than if it was a thick angle.

The question you are asking is how to accelerate through the ball better and how to have a better cue action. In the cue action delivery of the cue, you should start slow and finish fast. By that I mean start the cue moving slowly while building up speed gradually so at the time the cue strikes the cue ball the tip is moving fastest. If you do that which all the pros do you will get most 'action' on the cue ball with very little 'effort' and you will be cueing very smoothly and without any unneccesary jerking or snatching of the cue.

Try this exercise if you want, but not in front of your mates!

Get down on the shot and start a humming noise. If you can keep the noise on the same level of sound (I'm not a music expert!) then you won't be jerking and you will probably be cueing smoothly. If you jerk your cue, your humming noise will jerk on the delivery. Even though it may jerk if your grip hits your chest at the end of the delivery (that is fine), it musn't jerk on the delivery. Don't snatch the cue!

bongo

Comment

This is also about the bridge hand.

For screw shots with maximum effect the bridge hand should be flattened so that the palm of the hand is resting on the table. This keeps the cue as parallel as possible to the bed of the table so that the cue goes through the cue ball with the minimum of striking down, maximising spin while minimising a possible miscue.

For run throughs the fingers of the bridge hand should be pulled in, keeping the fingers straight, so that only the back of the palm and the tips of the fingers are touching the table thus raising the cue. This also keeps the cue as parallel as possible to the bed of the table, maximising spin and minimising striking down which bounces the cue ball.

With this method it is possible to strike the very bottom and very top of the cue ball which gives the maximum spin effect with gentle shots.

Comment

snooker matt... Good thread!

I wonder if anyone can post diagrams or link to diagrams showing the angles of cueball deflection 1/2,1/4 ball, etc., with different plain/side/stun/follow-through forces applied?

Hoping...

=o)

Noel

Comment

I wouldn't mind that either Noel. Something we should all know but a lot of people (including me) dont.

The cueball movement is all about timing. You need to accelerate through the ball so that the max speed is reached as you are hitting through the cue ball. I find practicing in slow motion can help. Start very slowly then accelerate the cue to where you would stop normally. If you do this enough in slow motion your muscles should eventually automatically do this when playing normally.
            Its also down a lot to natural ability. If you watch ronnie o sullivan play in particular he often doesn't hit the white very hard at all but gets a lot of cueball movement.
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Snookermatt it is all about timing my friend. Hitting through the cue ball with great rhythm and timing is essential advice. Very simple, much overused but essential advice.
              Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
              Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Short Pause On The Back Swing Before Delivery And Follow Through The Cue!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker matt View Post
                  Can anyone give me tips on how you move the white ball a lot after a very gentle shot because for me to move it a lot I need to hit it hard and most of the time I will miss after. I always see Luca Brecel :snookerBelgium Genius) playing very gentle shots having the white ball move up the table.

So if anyone has a tip PLEASE tell me because I'm practicing everyday on my full-sized table and I'm not improving on that area. I've mastered basic back tip and top spin, but I need coaching tips on advancing through to improving on advanced spin.

Cheers hope you can help me
                  here is a practice deep screw shot from the immortal Walter Lindrum.

place a ball on the brown spot, position your white about 8 or so inches behind your object ball, your shot will be to hit a smooth deep screw shot, the object ball will run straight over the blue, pink and black spots, and the white will screw back straight to the bault cushion and rebound and hit the object ball on the way back, approximately at the brown spot again!

you will only be able to do this with a beautiful timed smooth deep screw shot. dont flog it to death though, try it a few times every practice session.
                  Cheers bbg

Comment

Working...
                  X