How to break this habit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to break this habit?

My nephew (11) has a habit of always snatching the cue up as soon as he hits the ball, and his play his generally fairly rushed. He wants to improve his game though, so can anyone give me any tips on how to get him into the habit of following through slightly with the cue, instead of immediately snatching it up in the air? I try to explain to him that if he doesn't develop a good 'pendulum like' cue action, his game won't improve and in order to play shots llike screwback, it is vital to follow through, but so far, no joy...
    Mobo: GA-P35-S3
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
    GPU: ATI EAH4850 512mb DDR3
    RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
    Sound: Audigy 4

Hit him on the head with your cue every time he does it, he will learn quickly.
    “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

Originally Posted by submarine View Post
      Lols!!!! Apart from that, any ideas?
      Mobo: GA-P35-S3
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
      GPU: ATI EAH4850 512mb DDR3
      RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
      Sound: Audigy 4

Comment

i stay down until the ball as gone in the pocket try making him do that

Comment

What do you do if you miss?

wait till somebody else needs the table?
          Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

Comment

Originally Posted by Strickimicki View Post
            What do you do if you miss?

wait till somebody else needs the table?

v funny

Comment

yes sometimes it can be a longggggggggggggggggg night

Comment

... make him take 20 or thirty shots with an American pool bridge... forefinger curled over and around to thumb... then give him a "proper" brudge shot... see how that works... repeat as need...

=o)

Noel

submarine... the cue to head technique is for correcting lifting the head during his stroke.

Comment

Sorry Noel, you know how I get confused. I did read about a cueing practice with a lemonade (or similar) bottle. Put the empty bottle on a table of suitable height and just practice cueing straight into the bottle without moving the bottle about with the cue. Simple and may do the job.
                  “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

Sorry Noel, you know how I get confused. I did read about a cueing practice with a lemonade (or similar) bottle. Put the empty bottle on a table of suitable height and just practice cueing straight into the bottle without moving the bottle about with the cue. Simple and may do the job.
                    submarine... good luck with that!

I think I'm confused too... how do you get the object ball into the lemonade bottle?

=o)

Noel

Comment

Must be the same way old people get ships in there!

Comment

People may laugh at that but thats exactly how I coach the kids in my lessons. Stand behind him with your cue about half an inch over his head. If he does it he'll hit his head. If he delivers the cue as he should he wont hit his head and should develop the habit.
                        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                          People may laugh at that but thats exactly how I coach the kids in my lessons. Stand behind him with your cue about half an inch over his head. If he does it he'll hit his head. If he delivers the cue as he should he wont hit his head and should develop the habit.
                          id get a headache then
                          2009 Shanghai Masters Predict the Qualifiers Champion

2008 Grand Prix Final Prediction Champion

http://ryan147.com

Comment

Davisfan76, Steve Davis's dad used to hold a cue over Steve's head and every time Steve lifted his head of course he would hit it, that encouraged him to keep his head down. Keeping the chin on the cue until the ball goes in the pocket is another alternative.

Comment

That an oldie but a goodie, before I had my own table I would set an ironing board up at the height of a snooker table and cue into a coke bottle I also had a mirror at one end to check out my cue arm.
                              Is that fanatical or what!

Comment

Working...
                              X