No announcement yet.

How to break this habit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And don't let him see any Alex Higgins footage until he's 18.

Comment

i have a 3 foot pool table in my kitchen :P helps me practice cueing straight... problem is the balls are tiny so top spin still = stun on a regualar snooker ball lol... result? My friend i play with now thinks im addicted to back spin... which i am -.-
      I have tried putting 2 balls either side of the cue and cueing between them... That helped but i must admit i am guilty of occasionally getting up too quickly from the shot.
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by DavisFan76 View Post
        My nephew (11) has a habit of always snatching the cue up as soon as he hits the ball, and his play his generally fairly rushed. He wants to improve his game though, so can anyone give me any tips on how to get him into the habit of following through slightly with the cue, instead of immediately snatching it up in the air? I try to explain to him that if he doesn't develop a good 'pendulum like' cue action, his game won't improve and in order to play shots llike screwback, it is vital to follow through, but so far, no joy...
        or you could try putting a spider (the snooker variety) side on over his cue just before the cue ball ... if he lifts his cue up after he's hit the white, he'll hit the spider ...

Comment

I remember reading something about Davis using a loose piece of string round his kneck and cue. Loose enough when cueing but stopped head rising. Might be a bit awkward moving round the table between shots though!!

Comment

well, get some of his shots on camera and then show it to him, maybe he'll realize, that getting up off the shot doesn't make it easier
            Masters 2010 Lucky Dip Winner

Comment

Maybe he's not fully conscient he does it... if possible make a vid of him. Let him watch him. Watch his favourite player in action with him. Point at the diffrences (hope it's not Joe Swail though ) and be patient ... he's only 11.
              Just suggestions.
              Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
              http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                i stay down until the ball as gone in the pocket try making him do that
                That's what I have been trying. We're making progress...

Originally Posted by submarine View Post
                Sorry Noel, you know how I get confused. I did read about a cueing practice with a lemonade (or similar) bottle. Put the empty bottle on a table of suitable height and just practice cueing straight into the bottle without moving the bottle about with the cue. Simple and may do the job.
                Good idea!

Originally Posted by noel View Post
                submarine... good luck with that!

I think I'm confused too... how do you get the object ball into the lemonade bottle?

=o)

Noel
                He must mean without the cueball. Just push the cue into the bottle without moving it around, which sounds like a good idea, as it would promote straight cueing.

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                People may laugh at that but thats exactly how I coach the kids in my lessons. Stand behind him with your cue about half an inch over his head. If he does it he'll hit his head. If he delivers the cue as he should he wont hit his head and should develop the habit.
                You cruel, cruel man!

Originally Posted by davipp View Post
                Davisfan76, Steve Davis's dad used to hold a cue over Steve's head and every time Steve lifted his head of course he would hit it, that encouraged him to keep his head down. Keeping the chin on the cue until the ball goes in the pocket is another alternative.

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                Maybe he's not fully conscient he does it... if possible make a vid of him. Let him watch him. Watch his favourite player in action with him. Point at the diffrences (hope it's not Joe Swail though ) and be patient ... he's only 11.
                Just suggestions.
                And all very good ones! Thanks for your help, guys.
                Mobo: GA-P35-S3
                CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
                GPU: ATI EAH4850 512mb DDR3
                RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
                Sound: Audigy 4

Comment

The two things that my dad done with me was the cue over the head thing just to make the point! Then would tell me not to get up until the ball is potted.....

Sometimes if i started to rush and get up from the shot too early he would sneek up and put his cue over my head!

And if i done it lots of times he'd hit me with his cue even when i wasn't on a shot, just as a reminder!

I'm off to phone 'childline' now!
                  Highest Break
                  Practice: 136 (2005)
                  Match: 134 (2006)
                  In 2011: 94
                  Centuries made: 50+

Comment

The cue over his head thing would certainly be no bad idea. In addition, tell him to count to two or even three after delivery.

That's very usual in golf, too. By the start of your backswing you begin counting to three (you hit the ball on three).

Comment

Worked for Ronnie!

=o)

Noel
                      Last edited by noel; 22 March 2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X