Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power!

Hi all,

can somebody explain a good training routine for getting more power into the white?

Cocked wrist? Droping the elbow?

How do I get the maximum out of my cue action?

For example potting the black and screwing into the reds, How do you make the white push through the reds after first contact?

When practicing this shot the potting of the black is straight forward, I screw the white (without obstruction) up to the yellow pocket. When playing the shot with (obstruction) a pack of reds the white just stops.

Banana shot! How do i get the power into the shot?

I know I'm going right through the ball with my follow through. But no it's all not showing up in the white. Screwing back in close range up to 3-4 foot is also no problem, just as the distance grows and more power is needed it seems to fall apart.

Training for cocking the wrist: is there such a thing?
    Training for droping the elbow: is it nessercery and helpful?

Thanks

Brian
    Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

To be honest a good coach is needed so that he or she can watch your action and what you are doing wrong. However i will try and help.

A lot of players can screw the white well over a short distance but once the distance between the white and object balls increases then they can lose the ability to get the pot or spin. You must remember to concentrate on the action and not on how hard you hit the white. As you pull the cue back start the process with the first finger and thumb which will help with the wrist cock. At first just aim to get through the cueball a good 5 or 6 inches with your followthrough. Concentrate on the followthrough and not on the power. Then try starting with a 1 foot pot and increasing the distance by a foot each time and seeing how you do.

A lot of this is in the mind. You have to believe the white is coming back and you know immediately when you strike one well. Also try staying down for longer. Obstructions and longer pots generally make players more nervous about the shot and they get up quicker,therefore not following through properly.

Some players do drop the elbow a lot on power shots (ronnie) but you should be able to play with your normal action and be able open the bunch or screw back when the balls are a few feet apart. Try what i suggest and see if it helps. Like i said it is hard without seeing you. good luck.
    coaching is not just for the pros
    www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Thanks Coachgavin,

I'll give that a go tomorrow (sorry today).

I know I've been increaseing the force on the shots maybe you are right, more concentration on the action and less on the force.

I'll get back to you on this.

Thanks again,

Brian.
      Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

Comment

Firstly I'm no coach but been playing for long time with plenty high breaks.

To split the reds from the black with plain ball screw normally stops the cue ball dead (assumming pack is flatish) try centre striking stun shot.

Too push through the reds you need plenty spin (I use lots of running side and deep screw) this takes practice but it is essential you stay down on the shot and hold cue still once through the ball. If you are watching Masters final watch how the top pros finish the follow through - everything stops at end of follow through until object ball has been potted (as long as not dead straight and you have to get cue out of the way when screwing back of course but this does'nt mean you dont follow through properly) - the trick is not to move after the shot too quickly (even when you know its going in get in the habit of waiting till object ball is in the pocket)

Same for longer power screw or follow through shots - trick is not to be tense in anyway and free your cue arm - I have heard someone say when faced with long screw shot they grip the cue as tight as possible then relax the grip back to normal which ensures they do not tighten on the shot - I have heard this for Golf as well by gripping as hard as possible then relaxing before driving off.

Who knows might work for you - good luck, practice, practice, practice!!

As I say I'm no coach but this works for me.

Comment

Working...
        X