Bob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob

So where the cue balls extreme edge on the object ball is that the point of contact what I should be looking at?

I can't really explain what I mean but if the yellow was on it's spot would BOB be on the right of the object ball because of the whites extreme edge has to make contact with the object ball?

Thanks for the help.

Anthony.

Originally Posted by Anthony762 View Post
    So where the cue balls extreme edge on the object ball is that the point of contact what I should be looking at?

I can't really explain what I mean but if the yellow was on it's spot would BOB be on the right of the object ball because of the whites extreme edge has to make contact with the object ball?

Thanks for the help.

Anthony.
    Anthony, I've heard the term BOB (back of ball) and all I think it means is the correct point of contact on the object ball is at the far side of the line from the pocket through the centre of the object ball ...

take this example ...

o------O<<<<

o is the pocket ... O is the blue on it's spot ... so if the white is in a direct line you get a dead straight pot like this ...

o------O<<<< white

but it doesn't actually matter where the white is ... say it's on the green spot ... to pot the blue, the contact point on the object ball (blue) is exactly the same ... only this time it's a lot harder bcause you have to allow when you are aiming it for the fact that the white ball is round and has a certain diameter ...

I might be totally wrong, in which case I'm sure TSF's more senior members will correct me, but I think all bob refers to is identifying the point on the object ball you want to hit ...

if you haven't watched them, I'd recommend searching youtube for "Steve Davis Chapion's Way" ...

hth

Comment

You are right Dandy.

I think with aiming methods, there are so many theories and techniques, so just listen to the simple advice.

There is no problem in giving advice on one method (BOB for example), but different methods together can confuse things.

Dandy is 100% right, there is no more to it. Try to forget about advanced aiming methods and concentrate what is happening on the table, though it's very difficult! There is more to snooker than aiming.

Comment

I heard that the contact point is where the extreme white will contact is that wrong because you would be looking at the left of the obect ball rather than the right.

Comment

You are confusing things now, please explain what you mean.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
            The point of aim for the cue ball onto the object ball is the extreme edge of the cue ball making contact with the furthest part away from the centre of the pocket (in most cases) on the object ball. Remember this point will be on the object ball's fattest part (half way up the object ball). The cue tip if aiming at centre ball may be pointing outside the object ball, if the shot is less than quarter ball.

You should be looking at the furthest part from pocket on object ball when striking the cue ball.

can you please explain thanks.

Comment

Is this BOB?

http://www.snookergames.co.uk/tuition2.html

Comment

Originally Posted by Anthony762 View Post
                yes Anthony ... that will do for an explanation of bob although that article also goes into "line of aim" ... the "line of aim" is simply where the line you need to hit the cue-ball so that it makes contact with the bob on the object ball ...

but I think you are missing the basics here ... can you hit the white from the brown spot over the blue, pink and black spots so accurately so that the white returns over the brown spot ten tries out of ten ...

if you can, then fair enough, we can talk about aiming and sighting ... if you can't, you need to work on that first ... it's actually a hell of a lot harder than you think ... in order to be able to do that, you must have a dead straight cueing action, you must be sighting the shot correctly which means that you must be able to deliver the cue-ball very very accurately (say better than 0.1mm accuracy over 12 feet) ... and you must be hitting dead centre of the cue ball (hit a smidgeon left or right and it will come off the black cushion at a funny angle) ...

as far as I am concerned, hitting the white ball *exactly* where you want, good cueing, good sighting ... is what the game of snooker is all about ... you'll learn the potting angles etc if you can do that ... but if you can't, you'll always be wondering why did that shot miss ...

on a pet hate ... I'll also briefly mention, I would never ever put the white on the brown spot and try to go ober the blue, ponk and black spots ... I'd always put the white say 1 inch to the left of the brown spot and try to hit the white one inch of the other spots ... the reason being is the spots are always knackered (dents in the cloth) on the tables I play on ...

Comment

Yes, that is BOB, though the point BOB is where the cue ball touches the object ball in the diagram, but that is the diagram.

Comment

Thanks for the help once again guys.

Same as my tables the custions are gone because they bounce abit so I can't practice that, I practice it going over the yellow,brown and green spot though but I will give it a try what you do thanks.

Anthony.

Comment

Working...
                    X