Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting Straight

Hi

As an exercise I hit the white ball from the yellow spot over the table and try to finish on the spot again. I very often succeed in doing this.

But during a frame, I sometimes have the feeling that I don't hit the white ball straight at all. Especially when I'm concentrating on hitting through the white ball.

Do you have any tips?

Thanks

Hey,

first, i think its better if you do the same practice routine but from the brown spot. secondly, maybe its the pressure of the game that forces you to not hit the white in the middle OR it could just be you?
    ~*Simply the best*~

Comment

Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
      Hi

As an exercise I hit the white ball from the yellow spot over the table and try to finish on the spot again. I very often succeed in doing this.

But during a frame, I sometimes have the feeling that I don't hit the white ball straight at all. Especially when I'm concentrating on hitting through the white ball.

Do you have any tips?

Thanks
      That's because you have something else in mind while striking the cue ball. how many times do we see even top pros missed simple unmissable pot when thinking about position of the cue ball?
      it looks to me that you are not comfortable with your cue action coz it should come naturally. try not to think about while potting.

Comment

Originally Posted by SebastianZ View Post
        That's because you have something else in mind while striking the cue ball. how many times do we see even top pros missed simple unmissable pot when thinking about position of the cue ball?
        on a slightly different point but similar, it gives me great heart and the will to try to improve at snooker to see even the pro's miss simple pots ...

of course as you said, they miss probably because they were attempting a really difficult positional shot or maybe just because of the pressure of the situation ... I normally miss due to my crap cueing action, or my poor line of aim, or simply because I'm older than any pro on the circuit ...

but it still gives me heart that they can miss easy pots just like I can

Comment

Its simply concentration and the pressure of matchplay. In a practice match just concentrating on centre ball striking for a frame or two. Dont apply side simply hit the centre of the ballas often as you can. Get "the feel" for striking the centre of the cue ball. Also check out on youtube UNDERSTANDING MODERN SNOOKER WITH JACK KARNEHM.
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

The advice here is correct, when you bring object balls into the equation it becomes more difficult!

Comment

Yes I really hate it when watching the pro's play, what is a relatively easy pot, I watch their approach the way they address the cue ball and then miss. To me they looked perfect in every way but still miss what did they do wrong. I believe without a coach or at least a good 'A' grade player watching, you will not sort the problem out on your own.

Comment

When you are on the practice table and playing from the Yellow spot you are also not striking an object ball. A good tip I was given was not to think about your cue action when playing but rather keep following through until cue ball hits the object ball. This takes mind off the cue action even under pressure. Sounds to me like you have a straight action when practicing but maybe gripping the cue more during match?

Comment

i also think that the brown spot is more appropriate for this kind of practice, you can check if the cueball really runs straight across the spots. you haven't got this reference from the yellow spot, unless you measure the same distance on the black cussion an put a chalk mark on it.
                  Masters 2010 Lucky Dip Winner

Comment

Another exercise is to put 2 red balls either side of the black, pink, blue and brown spots just wide enough for the cue ball to pass thru, put a block of chalk on the top rail in line with the black as an aiming point & play the cue bal thru the reds off the top cush & back thru the reds. Take note of what red ball you may hit on the way back & this will indicate what side you are putting on the cue ball unintentionally.
                    Don't make the mistake of changing your stance to drastically to improve the shot just millimetres could be all your out by. Stay down on the shot & if you have to change the stance try leaving the toe of your right foot where it is & move the heel across slightly to the right. ( thats if you RH)

Comment

Working...
                    X