Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Cope With Going to Gym and Improving My Snooker Playability

Hi, Guys!

I've started to play snooker for about 6 months after a long-stop about 3 years ago. I can feel that I've improved "a little bit" in terms long-pot and positional play (HB = 49). However, after having gone to gym for about 2 months, I've noticed that my snooker playability has gotten worse.

Need help on how to deal with this. Anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Luke.

It is probably something to do with the new shape of your arms, (if they have changed since you've been going to the gym lol.) As your muscles have grown you are probably gripping the cue differently, standing differently etc. But forgeting all that you may just be going through a bad patch but conciously blaming it on the gym lol. I also have just started the gym and have been playing snooker a while now HB=112, but hav yet to find any difference in my snooker playability.
    "I think it's a great idea to talk during sex, as long as it's about snooker".... Steve Davis ....

Comment

Originally Posted by SmithStar View Post
      It is probably something to do with the new shape of your arms, (if they have changed since you've been going to the gym lol.) As your muscles have grown you are probably gripping the cue differently, standing differently etc. But forgeting all that you may just be going through a bad patch but conciously blaming it on the gym lol. I also have just started the gym and have been playing snooker a while now HB=112, but hav yet to find any difference in my snooker playability.
      First thing first, good on you that you can cope with this.

It's gotta do something with my muscles lol. Well, I'm pretty cautious about my stand and grip, I'm sure they remain the same.

Thanks for the tip SmithStar. Hope others will give some other ideas.

Luke.

Comment

Originally Posted by lukeysnooker View Post
        Hi, Guys!

I've started to play snooker for about 6 months after a long-stop about 3 years ago. I can feel that I've improved "a little bit" in terms long-pot and positional play (HB = 49). However, after having gone to gym for about 2 months, I've noticed that my snooker playability has gotten worse.

Need help on how to deal with this. Anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
        Luke.
        Hi lukeysnooker.
        If your gym workouts are to build size & strength - your snooker will suffer.
        The muscle fibres used when playing snooker (your cue action) are called TYPE 1 SO. They will not grow bigger and are fatigue resistant. They are the same muscle fibres that a violinist would use. The muscle fibres used for weight training are called TYPE 2 FG/FOG. These are the fibres that grow. The recovery process after a weight training workout can still be taking place up to 10 days or even more depending on the exercise done. This recovery process affects the "muscle memory" in your TYPE 1 SO fibres. It doesn't mean you will always play poorly but you may experience playing well one day then playing a few days later and feeling like you had not played in months!
        I had the same problem you experienced when I started working out and the best advice I can give you is to do what I still do - choose which is the most important to you at the paticular time and prioritize that activity. If I was in a snooker KO on a paticular date, I would not do a heavy workout within a week of it.

Comment

This is really helpful for me too thank you for posting it, I too struggle with the gym and snooker as I need the gym for my job I can't avoid it and go through what you described. One day I play for me good snooker and the other I can't pot a ball, is there anyone here that has stopped the gym and noticed a big change?
          -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Unless your doing Steroids, the speed of bodily change wont be significant enough to hinder your playing.

Comment

takes a while

I was the same and i got used to it, i tend to play better having been to the gym now!

Comment

ive been bodybuilding now for about 4 yrs, i find it hard to play snooker(only just started playing again after about a 6 yr break) now because of the size of my arms and the way they rub against my lats when cueing, i also hit the ball far harder than wot i should.

neil

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
                  I was the same and i got used to it, i tend to play better having been to the gym now!
                  Thanks for the positive thought Circle I'll keep at it.
                  -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Working...
                  X