Newbie Needs Starter Info Plz Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Needs Starter Info Plz Help

i currently play 9 ball, 8ball, some banks in usa. I have a handicap above average but under pro. Im always working on tryin to shoot perfectly straight. I notice on the snooker videos i see alot of the payers have the same stance and stroke style. I figure if they can pocket balls that good on that table it cant hurt my game to learn how. Also what weight and length of cue is popular. Thanks for any info on mechanics instruction or cue size.

pro cues are pretty light normally but lengths and weight vary so i will give you a range! 9-10mm tips 16-19oz and 56-58" long more or less! but our cues are build very differently to yours, as to playing the game i think that snooker players cue through the ball better generally than pool players because on a 12 foot table with tiny pockets if you didn't you would not pot anything! try typing snooker into youtube.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

i agree

I agree with you. Pool players can get away with a bad stroke and play good although a 9ft table does require a better stroke. I have watched the snooker videos and after they hit the cue ball, the cue doesnt wobble, or move around. These guys are great. Most pool here is played on bar tables, the rest on 9ft tables. Most intermediate players cannot play very well on 9ft tables.

The players all seem to stand the same and cue the same for the most part, here all players stand, stroke and follow through different. How do these guys all learn to stand and cue the same to be so accurate.

Thanks for the advice, ill watch a few videos and try to get a feel for it.

Comment

Scour the web and read a fair bit about stance and coaching methods and I think you'll find as I did that although there’s an orthodox stance it means very little in reality. There's many a top player past and present that does something or other that many coaches frown upon and yet they do so with great success. I came to the conclusion that snooker is a game you can learn, and practice will make you good, very good even, but natural ability counts for a far bigger portion of a snooker pro's make up than in any other game.
        I'd include pool in that too as although it's a different game over here to the USA we have some very good English pool players who are diabolical at snooker.

edit..

Been a while since i read it but it was the best guide i found.. http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/basics/the_stance/stance.htm

Comment

Hi Shorty welcome to tsf!
          2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
          2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Working...
          X