Hello. I came from the pool planet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello. I came from the pool planet.

I have been playing pool for a year or so. I tried snooker a few days ago and it was fun. Now that I found this forum. My next task is to find a snooker cue!

Hi there! Welcome to TSF.No need to be nervous,we won't bite!
    Enjoy yourself here

Comment

Originally Posted by NervousNovice
      I have been playing pool for a year or so. I tried snooker a few days ago and it was fun. Now that I found this forum. My next task is to find a snooker cue!
      What type of pool do you play? 8-ball or 9-ball? UK Version??

Comment

Hi Welcome to TSF & no need to be nervous

Comment

Welcome to Planet TSF, where all your snooker questions are answered, you get lots of Off topic chat, jokes and much more

I should get paid for promoting this...lol

Q
          Looking for a uk, brand new car or van?, look no further, drop me an email or pager now, I will beat any dealer on the road price ! Q

Comment

Thanks. I am reading the forum and gather some info on purchasing a cue. I guess I'll have some questions to ask you guys soon.

Originally Posted by dantuck_7
            What type of pool do you play? 8-ball or 9-ball? UK Version??
            I play US 8-ball mostly. I've never played the UK version. How is it different from the US one?

Comment

The UK version is played on a smaller table - with tighter pockets and is known for being more tactical.

Instead of stripes and spots we have yellows and reds - and the obligatory black ball.

There are a couple of different versions of rules for the UK game - I'm not totally au fait with the latest version of these rules. It often causes a fair bit of debate as to whether you have to aim up/down the table on the black and whether you are allowed 2 shots or not.

The problem here is that different people stick to the rules they know - so if you have a few people from Sheffield, a few from Glasgow and few from London and some players from Cardiif it is likely to end in a bit of a debate - especially if you throw in several gallons of beer!!

So its best to confirm the rules and which version of the rules you are playing before you kick-off. Do you have any similar problem NN?

Comment

The UK version is played on a smaller table - with tighter pockets and is known for being more tactical.

Instead of stripes and spots we have yellows and reds - and the obligatory black ball.

There are a couple of different versions of rules for the UK game - I'm not totally au fait with the latest version of these rules. It often causes a fair bit of debate as to whether you have to aim up/down the table on the black and whether you are allowed 2 shots or not.
                Oh! That's the UK version. I saw some Australians playing that and I didn't know what it was back then. In US pools, the two groups are called stripes and solids. I like the more colorful US balls though.

US pool tables sizes are 7'x3.5' bar table, 8'x4' standard table, and an oversized table slightly larger than 8'x4', and a tournament 9'x4.5' table. Some say the smaller one is easier. I don't know. I play on a 9'x4.5' table. You need to have more accruacy but small table has more traffic conjestion, meaning you need better cue ball control.

The problem here is that different people stick to the rules they know - so if you have a few people from Sheffield, a few from Glasgow and few from London and some players from Cardiif it is likely to end in a bit of a debate - especially if you throw in several gallons of beer!!

So its best to confirm the rules and which version of the rules you are playing before you kick-off. Do you have any similar problem NN?
                There are a lot of different bar rules for 8-ball and 9-ball in the US that people make up by themselves in bars. Some are funny too. However, the standard one that a lot of better players stick with is the BCA rules http://www.bca-pool.com/play/

Comment

yeah i agree bar table pool isn't always easier than on a standard 9 footer. it is extremely congested and you have to use a lot of side and have really good position. just a different game, i guess harder would depend on a player's particular skills.

UK pool is quite different. the table is usually the size of a american bar table, like 6 or 7 foot. the pockets are tight and cut like snooker pockets with the rounded cushions. the balls are smaller, 2". the most irritating thing to me is that the white is smaller than the other balls, 1 7/8" vs 2". i know this was for the ball return on coin op tables, but in pro play and non return tables, they have kept this strange feature. we used to have a larger cue ball on coin op american tables, but this is rare now, most have same size balls, with magnetic or optical ball return. i wonder why UK doesn't do the same, playing with a small white is crazy.

the rules do vary a lot (just like in american 8 ball), but some of the basic differences i've seen:
                  you don't have to hit a rail, just make contact with your ball, though some variations do require a rail
                  must play away from a touching ball
                  no calling shots (probably due to not having numbers or different colors on the balls)
                  no jump shots
                  free shot or 2 turns after a foul instead of the american ball in hand, also can sometimes move the white to the baulk area as well

Comment

Originally Posted by McChen
                    yeah i agree bar table pool isn't always easier than on a standard 9 footer. it is extremely congested and you have to use a lot of side and have really good position. just a different game, i guess harder would depend on a player's particular skills.

UK pool is quite different. the table is usually the size of a american bar table, like 6 or 7 foot. the pockets are tight and cut like snooker pockets with the rounded cushions. the balls are smaller, 2". the most irritating thing to me is that the white is smaller than the other balls, 1 7/8" vs 2". i know this was for the ball return on coin op tables, but in pro play and non return tables, they have kept this strange feature. we used to have a larger cue ball on coin op american tables, but this is rare now, most have same size balls, with magnetic or optical ball return. i wonder why UK doesn't do the same, playing with a small white is crazy.

the rules do vary a lot (just like in american 8 ball), but some of the basic differences i've seen:
                    you don't have to hit a rail, just make contact with your ball, though some variations do require a rail
                    must play away from a touching ball
                    no calling shots (probably due to not having numbers or different colors on the balls)
                    no jump shots
                    free shot or 2 turns after a foul instead of the american ball in hand, also can sometimes move the white to the baulk area as well
                    Pocket cut with rounded cushions is hard especially when you pot a ball along a rail. Smaller cue ball means it's easier to draw than to follow. We don't have any UK pool table here but I would love to try it some day somewhere else.

Comment

Hi NN! Good luck at snooker planet!
                      2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                      2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Working...
                      X