Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone!

Hello,

I have just found this site as i am looking to try and get help or my son.

He is age 4 and has autism, because of his autism he is obsessed by numbers and colours!
    About 18 months ago we bought him a toy snooker table and he loved it, 2 months ago we bought him a 5ft snooker table for our spare bedroom and i can quite honestly say i've not seen much of my son since.

His skills are amazing - here he is doing a backwards shot!!!!
    http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...th11th-1-1.jpg

I am desperate to get him some help but noone round where we live in Sussex will teach him because he is 4,

Do you think it is worth getting him lessons? He is really good at snooker understands the rules and numbers and LOVES it!!

Any help will be great!
    Clare

Hi Clare

A very warm welcome to TSF, I'd definitely get your son more involved in the game & maybe for now u should let him enjoy playing the game for a lil while before u get some professional coaching... in my opinion, he should just have fun for now & start more or less regular practice by the age of 8

Once again, welcome to TSF & hope u enjoy yourself on here

PS: He looks adorable playing

Comment

Welcome to TSF, Clare.
      Looks like he(ur son) is really innnnnn toooooo Snooker.
      Its the 1st time in my life that I have seen a 4 yr old kid playing snooker!
      I dont really know anything about coaching at the age of 4. Maybe he should just play for another year or 2 and then start professional coaching.
      Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

I am a World Snooker Association coach based at Chandler's Ford near Southampton and I know nothing about Autism.

I agree with the above comments that he should be allowed to progress naturally but...

Certainly he would struggle on a full-sized table but there is nothing like simple guidance at an early age.

An experienced player (perhaps a family friend) or a coach could play games with him, even on a small table, and at the same time gently nudge him towards the basics of bridge, stance ETC.

The danger is that without guidance he may develop into a good player but with basic faults which would be difficult to correct later.

You don't say where you live. I am sure that if you contact the right person at your local club he or she could offer a way forward.

If you lived in my neck of the woods, I would love to help.

Tim Dunkley
        http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Hi snookerdad,

We are in Worthing, so not a miillion miles away from you!

I agree he is too young for coaching, but someone to steer him in the right direction would be great.

IE - now if he thinks he cant make the shot he will often move the white ball and place it where the shot will go into the pocket, i dont want him to get into this bad habit if you see what i mean?
          The cue he is using in the picture is too large for him so we have now bought him a 2 peice and he uses the first peice only.

J has very limited speech and understanding because of his autism but can talk about steve davis until the cows come home! It seems to us tho that his understanding of all things sport excel in his mind.
          His Dr can not belive how J's mind works.

Comment

Clare

Frank Sandell is a highly respected Worthing-based coach who runs a junior section. His contact details are on Google. I suggest you have a chat with him.

Tim
            http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X