PL first leg in Grimby - a report of a kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PL first leg in Grimby - a report of a kind

I was in Grimsy Auditorium yesterday evening, taking pictures . So the very first thing I want to say is "Thank you" to matchroom for having allowed me to do this and tho their official photographer to have helped me very friendly through does and don'ts. It has been a fantastic experience and I have learned a lot!
    Taking pictures in professional sports environment, without disturbing the players or the television guys, without trapping on the cables or being knocked out by cameras suspended on long perchs and coming down when you don't expect them ... was quite a challenge at times. I was also surprised how dim the lighting actually was, as compared to some exhibitions I had been to. As it was I had brought two cameras, a classical film camera - that I had loaded with the very classical B&W TRI-X, pushed to 1600 ASA - and a digital camera. The latter proved unusable: the lens I had wasn't quite "long" enough and did not open enough under the conditions. I ended up with pictures of a perfectly sharp table and fuzzy players as the pause time required was too long. So I sticked to the classical film, B&W and therefore focused on the players expressions and body language rather than the match action. Hence the following report that is all about my "feelings" during the matches.
    Match 1 - Mark Selby vs Ding Jinhui
    Right before the match Mark spent some time practising at the table and meanwhile I had a friendly chat with Vicky, his partner. She told me how enthousiastic Mark was about playing the PL and how much he wanted to to well ... obviously he was to give us evidence of that!
    However he didn't start that well for Mark who really struggled through the first two frames, missing a few you wouldn't expect him to miss and losing position a bit too often. Nevertheless Mark never gave the impression to be annoyed with himself or negative. All his body language was about ... "Oh well, I'm learning here, let's move on and try further!" - good natured. The audience, I think, sensed it and warmed to him.
    After two difficult frames, Mark suddenly found his pace and ran away ... to well deserved victory. He was obviously happy but it was also apparent there how much he had put in it. Just before he was on the screens for interview there were a few minutes where he looked almost knocked out with tiredness, barely smiling and with a blank look!
    Ding on the other hand didn't show up before the match at all and I didn't see him after the match neither. Even in the first frames, when he had the upper hand he never appeared to me as enjoying himself, and, of course when he was sat in his chair afterwards, he looked annoyed and bored. I can't help asking myself how much this young man still really wants to play snooker, wether his motivation is still there or if he feels trapped in that life because of his status of China's standard bearer.
    After the match both players had to leave the arena quite rapidly because match 2 had to start. Young fans tried to get autographs and they had to disapoint them. But Mark did that in a rather gracious way, while Ding was ... borderline rude. I don't want to put him down, but I just saw this as a further indication of him not feeling too well with himself and his life right now.
    Match 2 - Ronnie O'Sullivan vs John Higgins
    Before the match ... it was interesting to see how both coped with the pre-match tension. For what I saw, John merely stayed in his dressing room, just popping up, smiling, to "fish" some refreshments. Ronnie got some practice at the table and then dropped himself in a settee in the "common room" -where press and photographers also gathered- watching and commenting athletism on television (guess what? Running ... )
    The match was very tense and quite enjoyable. High quality from both, except a desastrous start in frame 2 from Ronnie. Being his true self he got annoyed with himself and started torturing his cuticles . But all credit to him, he didn't surrender to anxiety or negativity and he came back in frame three, adopting a slightly slower pace, very focused and in battling spirit. Ronnie shows all his emotions and this is his way to build empathy with the audience, because to be honest, contrary to Mark, he doesn't really interact with it, or rarely. John gives almost nothing away
    The respect they have for each other is also blatant when you watch them play close-up. The little gestures of congratulations or apology don't always show on telly but where there througout the match, particularly from Ronnie who is the most "expressive" of the two. Nice to see.
    As soon as the match was over, it was all friendliness and smiles from both ... the draw was a logical result and they were both pleased with it. John because he obviously expected to struggle, Ronnie because he was happy with the way he recovered.
    After the match, none stayed much to sign autographs ... just scribbling one or two on their way out, but smiling... It must be said that it was late already and there were so many kids with all sorts of things to sign they could have spend a good deal of the night at it.
    Both shooed quite rapidly when it was over, but both popped up in the common room to say hi before leaving...
    Last glimpse I had on Ronnie was on the parking ... probaly driving home ... in a "decided" style

You will have guessed it: I enjoyed every minute of the evening!
    Last edited by Monique; 12 September 2008, 11:10 AM.
    Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
    http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Great report, Mon! Glad you've enjoyed your time there. From what I could see yesterday snooker was really good, glad for Selby and the way he came back, and the first frames of the other match were interesting, too. Waiting for the pictures coming up in the gallery!
    ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Thanks for that! Hope we see your pictures!!

Comment

Great Report Monique...

Although many had doubts about Mark Selby playing in the league me persanally never had doubts that he would adapt no problam..as phil yates and mike hallett said it was the best first time performance under the shot clock rules whitch includes Ronnie himself that has dominated shot clock snooker..

as for the other match again expected close encounter by 2 players that respect each other 100% and it was a fair result in a match nobody could dominate.

Comment

Great matchreport. It was a good day to be there, exitement till the very end, some good clearances and lots of good frames. Lucky you.
          ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
          "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

I enjoyed your report Monique, very informative.
            "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Sounds like you had a great night. First time I've not been at the Grimsby one since 2005, half-regretting it now but I've decided to go to Sheffield instead this year. Hopefully that will be good.
              Last edited by Matt_2745; 13 September 2008, 06:03 PM.
              sigpic
              http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Thank you for the report, Monique! Very interesting and informative
                Winner of crucible77's 2008 World Championship Fantasy Snooker Game
                2008-09 Fantasy Snooker Seasonlong Champion

Comment

Wow, great report Mon! Sounds like you had a really good time, and I hope you had the opportunity to explore further the angles we tried out in Warszawa. Looking forward to hopefully seeing the pictures!
                  Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Working...
                  X