No announcement yet.

UK Championship 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did anyone see the woollaston vs highfield ending , highfield was leading 64 - 30 and had a perfectly getable red along the black cushion with the black to follow to take it to a decider but elects to go for a not to inescapable snooker and winds up losing the match , you see that so often , they hope the object ball after the attempted snooker will run into a potting position but doesn't and never get another chance, tactical mistake or bottle job take your pick.

Comment

• god catching up on the deciding frame between higgins and xintong , rob walker's taking a leaf out of david hendon's school of commentary , oh the joy.

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikee View Post
        While it’s true the BBC are now a bunch of woke lefty knobs , they did kick snooker off in to the big time in the 80’s ,and at the same time ITV’s coverage was poor if I remember
        You are right. The BBC in the 80s was not a bunch of lefty knobs, this is why they started showing snooker - a natural rightwingers' hobby - which allowed the sport to take off. The immediate counterproof is that Pot Black was an idea of Sir David Attenborough.
        Unfortunately, times have changed, and after three consecutive lefty PMs we are left with just 3 tournaments (not even entirely shown). What a shame. But the sport will survive thanks to Discovery+
        Last edited by Zelig; 29 November 2021, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Zelig View Post

You are right. The BBC in the 80s was not a bunch of lefty knobs, this is why they started showing snooker - a natural rightwingers' hobby - which allowed the sport to take off. The immediate counterproof is that Pot Black was an idea of Sir David Attenborough.
          Unfortunately, times have changed, and after three consecutive lefty PMs we are left with just 3 tournaments (not even entirely shown). What a shame. But the sport will survive thanks to Discovery+
          It's weird isn't it, whatever particular side of the political spectrum you're on, the BBC is always on the other. Personally I think they're riddled with cronyism and nepotism and part of me wants to see the whole lot abolished. But I'd miss the science output, some of their world service and radio 4 programs are superb and there's no other mainstream equivalent, so I suppose I'll stick with the devil I know.... I Don't like their snooker coverage these days though.

-
          The fast and the furious,
          The slow and labourious,
          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Zelig View Post

I’m surprised you’ve not had more bites with this post

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

It's weird isn't it, whatever particular side of the political spectrum you're on, the BBC is always on the other. Personally I think they're riddled with cronyism and nepotism and part of me wants to see the whole lot abolished. But I'd miss the science output, some of their world service and radio 4 programs are superb and there's no other mainstream equivalent, so I suppose I'll stick with the devil I know.... I Don't like their snooker coverage these days though.

-
              I’m pleased itv have a few tournaments now ,I quite like their coverage ,the BBC coverage in the evening is non existent apart from highlights ,which is pathetic considering the extra channels they have now .

Comment

• Originally Posted by NonStarter View Post
                Great advert for Green Baize and titanium ferrules in the interview
                Not seen that ,what was that about

Comment

Not seen that ,what was that about
                  Kyren Wilson mentioned in his post match interview how he's got a great new cue from Green Baize and it's titanium ferrule has allowed him to adapt to it within 4-5 days of ownership

Comment

• Originally Posted by NonStarter View Post

Kyren Wilson mentioned in his post match interview how he's got a great new cue from Green Baize and it's titanium ferrule has allowed him to adapt to it within 4-5 days of ownership
                    Oh right ,I did see a little of Krytons match ,and he was lucky in a couple of frames ,he lost the cue ball quite a bit ,maybe due to the new cue .If he comes up against someone in top form he might be done over ,4 days is not long to really get to grips with a new cue ,those little finicky feel shots take time .Sounds like he was sticking in a bit of a free plug

Comment

Oh right ,I did see a little of Krytons match ,and he was lucky in a couple of frames ,he lost the cue ball quite a bit ,maybe due to the new cue .If he comes up against someone in top form he might be done over ,4 days is not long to really get to grips with a new cue ,those little finicky feel shots take time .Sounds like he was sticking in a bit of a free plug
                      He loses the cue ball quite a bit for years but its not so pronounced now . He compensated by making daring recovery pots to regain position. His cue ball is slightly better now and his high percentage success of daring pots has diminished a little !

Comment

• Jeez Wilson's two flukes when escaping snookers in that last frame were beyond belief, reminded me when he played McGill in the world's.

I think the reason he can play ok with a new cue so quick is because he just takes coordinates, shuffles and pushes the piston through, no need for feel. There were a number of shots he played that looked completely devoid of any feel.

I find it hard to watch mens American tour golf these days because it's a lot more brawn and muscle, smash and grab style of game now, I prefer our tour in comparison where there are some lovely swings especially from some of the French golfers.

Same for snooker, not with muscle of course but more about silky actions that have some style. Wu Yize has that style and I hope he doesn't change anything, I'm sure he will do just fine as long as he continues to gain experience.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Yeah I know he's prone to losing the white a bit but he's still knocked in his fair share on tons and 147's .so don't want to criticise the guy too much ,its the longer match's that find him out a bit I reckon .

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                            Jeez Wilson's two flukes when escaping snookers in that last frame were beyond belief, reminded me when he played McGill in the world's.

I think the reason he can play ok with a new cue so quick is because he just takes coordinates, shuffles and pushes the piston through, no need for feel. There were a number of shots he played that looked completely devoid of any feel.

I find it hard to watch mens American tour golf these days because it's a lot more brawn and muscle, smash and grab style of game now, I prefer our tour in comparison where there are some lovely swings especially from some of the French golfers.

Same for snooker, not with muscle of course but more about silky actions that have some style. Wu Yize has that style and I hope he doesn't change anything, I'm sure he will do just fine as long as he continues to gain experience.
                            His technique reminds me of a well oiled machine which when it has a malfunction has a tendency to go haywire and he starts missing loads .
                            Not much natural flair or ability but still a mainly technically sound player. It’s when the pressure is on and you need a bit more than than just good technique and something a bit more out of the box I find he is wanting. It’s that bit extra that the top boys have that Wilson doesn’t at the moment.
                            He is still above most players on the tour and his positional play has improved over the last couple of seasons.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

I am surprised you have not had more bites with this post
                              The power of irony. I am a woke lefty and proudly so, but I do have very good friends on the other side, and our different ideas do not prevent us from enjoying a frame and a pint. I do my best (unless provoked) to keep politics out of snooker and out this forum, which is a lovely space for free speech about this terrific sport. As for the BBC, I totally agree with PatBlock!
                              Last edited by Zelig; 30 November 2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                                Wilson flukes the green from a snooker, then flukes the brown from another snooker to effectively win the match. Jammy sod.

-
                                Ah, well, have to put up with his robotics for at least another match.
                                "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Working...
                                X