No announcement yet.

2015 Betfred World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two interesting matches coming up. I would have preferred two pairings with a bit more history between them, which would have added to the story a little, but I suppose all rivalries have to start somewhere. :smile:

Shaun Murphy v. Barry Hawkins:

They have only met in two major matches since Hawkins joined the "elite", and not surprisingly both went to a decider, most recently in the UK Championship last season. They are both playing better snooker now, so it should be a cracking match over four sessions.

Murphy hasn't really been in trouble in this Championship yet, he won his first two matches very comfortably, then outplayed McGill at the business end of the match in the quarter-finals. He is playing the same kind of game he played in the Masters and the German Masters, basically going for anything that's potable and getting most of them. He is a little less reliable from short range this time, but perhaps we can put that down to concentration, and we could see him cut out the mistakes now that the World title is within reach. A slight disadvantage could be the fact that none of his previous games involved much safety or anything really tense and nervy, while Hawkins survived a really epic match last night, so Hawkins is probably the more "battle-hardened" at this point in the tournament.

It was a fantastic win for Hawkins last night, beating an in-form Robertson over three sessions. They scored eight centuries between them, so Hawkins showed he was capable of matching anyone in an exchange of high breaks, and he has never lacked in the tactical department either. If he could reproduce that form again here, I think he would possibly be a frame or two stronger, but it remains to be seen what that quarter-final took out of him, both physically and mentally. He has a habit of getting involved in really close matches, so I would expect one here, but I will go for Murphy to win 17-15. :wink:

Judd Trump v. Stuart Bingham:

These two have met here and there in best-of-9s and best-of-11, both winning a few, but this will be their first really big match.

For Bingham it is one of the biggest matches of his career, if not the biggest, which could bring out the best or the worst in him. It is his debut in the one-table setup at the Crucible, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some early nerves from him. O'Sullivan may not have been the man to beat in this tournament, but a win against him always shows that a player is not really afraid of anyone. Bingham's breakbuilding in the last five frames was excellent, he is as dangerous as anyone when he is allowed to find his rhythm, so it will be up to Trump to keep him away from the table. Bingham was also helped a little by O'Sullivan's misses, so he got away with a few mistakes himself, but I think Trump will be a little more ruthless. Still, Bingham has the luxury of being the underdog here, and that could make him a big danger.

Trump has been the most impressive player so far in this tournament for me, getting through the toughest quarter of the draw with surprisingly comfortable wins over Fu and Ding. It's one thing to score heavily, like Hawkins and Bingham have done, but Trump hasn't just made big breaks when he's been left in the balls, he has been forcing scoring chances with all kinds of crazy pots, and that's very difficult to play against. The frame he won against Ding to go 6-0 up, for example, was enough to demoralize anyone. Against Fu there was a moment when he went a little crazy, thinking he could literally find a pot in any situation, but there has to be a line somewhere, and hopefully Trump now knows where that is. He gave Ding and Fu every respect right from the start, and while he is a better player than Bingham, I have a suspicion he will underestimate him a little and fail to do the early damage this time. He should still come through though, Trump to win 17-13. :wink:

It should be a great couple of days. :smile:

Comment

• Well i suppose if your going to win one, might aswell make it WORLD CHAMPION,
      a bit harsh on Dott, far better player than a one hit wonder.

Comment

• Originally Posted by imac13 View Post
        Well i suppose if your going to win one, might aswell make it WORLD CHAMPION,
        a bit harsh on Dott, far better player than a one hit wonder.
        And Johnson got to the final again the following year.
        Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

• Originally Posted by brook View Post
          You mean he will beat Murphy and then Trump.
          Unlikely.
          I didn't say he will win the tournament, so from what I said yes I think he can beat Murphy on his current form he's showed so far. I think he is a much tougher character than Shuan

Comment

• Originally Posted by stephenm2682 View Post
            I'm not a fan of people who win this after winning nothing in their careers so far, so for me it has to be trump or murphy to win as they have won big competitions this year and in previous years!
            you have to start somewhere, although Hawkins has won two ranking events

Comment

• Hawkins got to the semi last year! And murphy as won other titles after winning the worlds, that's my point

Comment

• Hard to believe bingham beat ronnie yesterday, was expecting osullivan to win that match 13-4, shocking result.
                Was looking forward to trump v ron this evening, ill wash my hair now instead.
                Blown away

Comment

• that was unexpected

Comment

• Very much so indeed. However I agree with JP...often such a huge match like Barry played yesterday evening takes a lot out of you and you need to recharge for the next match. I expect Barry to be playing much better in the next session.

Weird frame that last one as well with the white going in-off of the black

Comment

• Murphy has a nice lead as Hawkins has missed
                      a few easy pots.
                      Good snooker.

Comment

• Nice piece on BBC interview with Stuart Bingham, you can see how much it means to him getting to his first WSC semi-final.
                        I hope that is the only choking he does
                        com'n Ballrun
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          Nice piece on BBC interview with Stuart Bingham, you can see how much it means to him getting to his first WSC semi-final.
                          I hope that is the only choking he does
                          com'n Ballrun
                          Yes that was great to see...wonderful emotions from Stu. I was rooting for him yesterday and will do so for the remainder of this tournament.

Comment

• Originally Posted by daffie View Post
                            Weird frame that last one as well with the white going in-off of the black
                            Imagine what the final session's going to be like! :nevreness: If we get one of course. C'mon Baz WAKE UP!!
                            -
                            The fast and the furious,
                            The slow and labourious,
                            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                              Imagine what the final session's going to be like! :nevreness: If we get one of course. C'mon Baz WAKE UP!!
                              -
                              You bet! Shows a lot of promise already this Semi. Cmon Baz...better catch up soon!

Btw I just loved the reactions of both players when Shaun did the in-off on the last black earlier

Comment

• Murphy is on fire

Comment

Working...
                                X