2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    A disappointing line up, no Selby or O'Sullivan.
    It makes things more interesting. I expect four very close and exciting matches.

Comment

A disappointing line up, no Selby or O'Sullivan.
      A great line up, no Selby and O'Sullivan
      Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

• Hopeful for a close final this year. Tbh I think a final without Wilson, Hawkins or Carter is more likely to be close

Comment

• I think final would be Wilson : Williams. Kyren had been superb this season, and he has a game that suits long matches. And Mark, I think he had been playing consistently well for a whole season, at the very high standard, he will just make it, despite his seemly laid back approach. He is that good, I just hope he can win.
          Ding had his bright moments too, but I am not sure yet he would cope with the pressure. He performed well in the last few editions, but I just don't see him to succeed in the end.
          As for Hawkins, Trump, I don't trust them. They both were among the best break builders of the second round, but I think, they will collapse, as it has been a case couple times in the past. Mark Allen usually had an opponent, who just played a little bit better over course of long distance match during the tournament and I can see this happening once again. Carter and Higgins, well, one of them had just scored one of their biggest wins of their careers, while the second one made his highest break in The Crucible, but I am not sure about them lifting the trophy this year. Carter played well, but he won't make it to another semi's. And I think, Higgins will find someone better to endure to the long distance match, let it be the semifinals or the final.

Comment

• Originally Posted by peterpackage View Post
            To me, Higgins is still a match fixer, definitely not an all time great
            I actually struggle to watch any of his matches now, even if he is playing my favourite players.
            Shame because he is talented.

Back to the tournament... loved Judd's comment about Walden's shot, got him fired up for taking on that risky shot.
            Thats what he needs I reckon, a bit of fire in his belly, too many times he's played himself down in interviews.
            Last edited by mikeyd100; 30 April 2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
              Quite the quarter-final lineup. All ranked in the top 16. It wouldn't be a complete shock if any of the eight won the title.

Higgins - 4 time champion
              Williams - 2 time champion
              Carter - 2 time finalist
              Hawkins - 1 time finalist
              Ding - 1 time finalist
              Trump - 1 time finalist
              Allen - 1 time semi-finalist
              Wilson - 2 time quarter-finalist
              Yes I find it very interesting. I think a lot will depend on who´ll find their A-games because it looks very close. And also quite interesting with 8 top 16 players in the quarterfinal. I wonder when that happened last time.
              ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
              "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rane View Post
                Yes I find it very interesting. I think a lot will depend on who´ll find their A-games because it looks very close. And also quite interesting with 8 top 16 players in the quarterfinal. I wonder when that happened last time.
                2009. Allen (16)-Day (8), Higgins (5)-Selby (4), Murphy (3)-Hendry (6), Robertson (10)-Maguire (2)

Comment

• Originally Posted by bagpiper13579 View Post
                  2009. Allen (16)-Day (8), Higgins (5)-Selby (4), Murphy (3)-Hendry (6), Robertson (10)-Maguire (2)
                  Thank you for doing the research. I thought it was much longer time ago. If we could have just one match equallling the Higgins - Selby match it would be great. That´s one of the best matches I´ve ever seen.
                  ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                  "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Actually I could see all four quarterfinals going either way, but I will try to analyze them a bit.

Mark Allen – Kyren Wilson
                    .............................Mark Allen............Kyren Wilson
                    World Ranking:...............16........................9
                    Ranking this season:.......10.........................9

Those stats are misleading though, cause of course Allen also has won the Masters, which reflects neither in ranking titles nor in the ranking.

Head-to-Head:
                    The H2H including ranking matches and the Masters is 3:2 in favour of Kyren Wilson.
                    Wilson won their sole meeting at the World Championship, 13-9 in the second round of the 2016 edition. This season, they met twice: Wilson won 6-3 at the World Open, while more importantly Allen won 10-7 in the final of the Masters.

This was actually the quarterfinal I picked before the tournament to take place here. And it’s a highly interesting one. Allen has more firepower, while Wilson has maybe a slight advantage in the all-around game. With Allen one weakness he openly admits are often his long pots. If those go in and he’s in a break, he’s at his best and can beat anybody. So Wilson’s safeties should be key. Allen is pretty good in this department as well, but sometimes he lacks a bit of patience. Wilson needs to get an advantage here, not letting Allen into the balls and then he has to utilise on his own chances. This is where Wilson had problems in the past, but he has developed into a reliable scorer this season as well.

Pick: Really it could be anything, my wild guess is 13-12 to Allen.

John Higgins - Judd Trump
                    ................................John Higgins.........Judd Trump
                    World Ranking:...............5......................... 4
                    Ranking this season:.......5......................... 4

Head-to-Head: The H2H including ranking events and the Masters is 7-3 in favour of John Higgins, but more importantly it is 4-0 in matches of at least Best-of-11-distance, including the final of the 2011 World Championship.

If we go by history between these two players, John Higgins should be clear favorite. He won every significant duel and at this point he is still the better player in my eyes. I've stated before that I think consistency and concentration is an issue with the Scotsman in his age as well though. There wasn't much of it to be seen against Jack Lisowski though and he might come well rested into the match against Trump. He will need to play good safety and make the best of his chances, but well, nobody does this mix better than Higgins.

Trump didn't play particularly well so far, but his last session against Ricky Walden was pretty good, especially cause this time he didn't crumble under the pressure. And I think he won't feel much of it against Higgins as well, which will certainly help him. But he must certainly up his game a bit to beat Higgins and can't miss within the balls very much. He will have to take on risks, but he must choose them wisely and this usually is a weakness of Trump. Let's see if his game has grown up. At some point he certainly must have to beat Higgins in a game over a longer distance, right?

Pick: My gut feeling actually tells me that this will be the time that Trump gets his first big win over Higgins, but my head tells me the Scotsman is the logical choice. 13-11 to Higgins.

Ding Junhui – Barry Hawkins
                    ...............................Ding Junhui.........Barry Hawkins
                    World Ranking: ..............3........................ 6
                    Ranking this season:.......6 .......................11

Head-to-Head: The H2H including ranking events and the Masters is 5-2 in favour of Barry Hawkins, who also has won their two meetings at the World Championship, though only one of them was in the main event, a 13-7 at the 2013 quarterfinals. I could have included the Champion of Champions, then the H2H would only be 5-4 in favour of Hawkins.

Another intriguing quarterfinal. I think we don’t need to pay much focus to the results of this season here, cause both players are in a fully different shape here than for the majority of the last year. Both are in World Championship Modus, where they had plenty of success in recent times.

Ding played tremendously in his first session against Anthony McGill, but he was far from his best in the second one. His concentration seemed a big gone and I’m not sure if he can afford this against Hawkins as well. But if Ding starts as good as in his last match I don't think Hawkins could catch him.
                    The Englishman hasn’t played his very best yet, being also sloppy and nervous against Lyu, but it’s likely he will play better against Ding, when he has less pressure.
                    Both are very similar players in that regard, that they don’t have many flaws in their game. Ding is better in almost any aspect, when he is in form, but Hawkins, who previously registered wins over Mark Selby, Ronnie O’Sullivan and Neil Robertson (the old Neil Robertson that was) at the Crucible has shown, he can beat anybody in Sheffield, when he finds his game. He finds it difficult to follow up his big wins with another one, but this would be his first at this year’s edition anyways.
                    The biggest weakness both possess is probably mental. Ding sometimes misses quite easy pots, when under pressure (though he has become much better in that regard) and Hawkins does as well.

Pick: I can see this as a clear win for Ding as well as a close match, which both could win. 13-10 to Ding. This is actually the pick I feel most confident about.

Mark Williams – Allister Carter
                    .................................Mark Williams...............Allister Carter
                    World Ranking:...................7...................... .........15
                    Ranking this season:...........3............................... 21

Head-to-Head: The H2H including ranking events and the Masters is 8-3 in favour of Mark Williams, but Carter won their most important and longest match in the quarterfinals of the 2008 UK Championship with 9-8.

A duel between two players who come from the two different sides of spectrum in terms of mind. Mark Williams is probably the most relaxed player on the Tour. He has won all and certainly doesn’t see the need to impress people. He is famous for saying that he doesn’t try to score centuries like other players do, cause “70s are fine enough to win a frame”. After missing last year’s World Championship I sense that this season he still wanted to prove something despite his phlegm. So maybe he has the right balance now? I actually think Williams played better in winter than he has in his first two matches here, but in terms of general abilities I would still take him over Carter clearly.
                    Ali is the opposite of Mark in that regard, that I think he is often too tense and needs to loosen up a bit. It worked for him very well so far though, beating his nemesis Ronnie O’Sullivan 13-9 and not even faltering, when O’Sullivan tried to spur him. This anger may have helped him, how will he play without it against Williams? Could it even be that Carter will be too loose for once? I doubt it.
                    Carter impressed me with his long potting and safety play against O’Sullivan. He will need this again against Williams, who is a great long potter himself. Both are good tacticians, though Williams, despite his amazing potting ability sometimes surprises me by being too cautious.
                    I think key to this duel might be, who makes the best out of his chances. Both tend to lose position sometimes and who limits these situations and is able to win frames with high breaks might have an advantage here.

Pick: I wouldn't be surprised if Carter manages another upset, but I go with whom I think is the better player. 13-9 to Williams.
                    Last edited by JimMalone; 30 April 2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Nice analysis Jim

my picks (with no analysis)

Allen
                      Higgins
                      Ding
                      Carter

I really want a Trump v Ding final but Trump is just not tough enough, tough meaning both mentally and technically, there are cracks under high pressure

I do think this could be Ding's year

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                        It makes things more interesting. I expect four very close and exciting matches.
                        I highly doubt you will get 4 very close matches, there has never been 4 quarter finals at the Crucible where all the losers have gained 10 or more frames. There has been 3 times where the 4 losing quarter finalists all failed to get to 10 frames.

Comment

• double post

Comment

• Originally Posted by richiet View Post
                            A great line up, no Selby and O'Sullivan
                            Why would you not want the best players in the world doing well at the World Championships?

Comment

• Originally Posted by bagpiper13579 View Post
                              2009 is also the closest group of quarter finals ever at the Crucible

Comment

Why would you not want the best players in the world doing well at the World Championships?
                                O'Sullivan is contradicting attention seeker. When he wins he's all "I just love playing snooker" and when he loses he's "snooker is boring". A great player but not a very nice person.
                                Selby, again a great player but a bit dull and I'd rather some new players in the final than the same old faces. Besides. Selby obviously is way off being the best player in the world at the moment.

After all the chat about how long ago since the top two seeds made the final it was good to see them both fail to get past the second round.
                                Last edited by richiet; 1 May 2018, 08:00 AM.
                                Richie

Class 3 referee, very average player

Comment

Working...
                                X