2019 World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post

I would understand this as well, but I'm afraid that I can't use it in Carter's defence, as he looked angry already years before...
    Then maybe his mates really do call him that, and that's why he is annoyed all the time. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
      Then maybe his mates really do call him that, and that's why he is annoyed all the time. :smile:
      Or he doesn't understand, why nobody else sees that he's the best in potting, safety play, etc.

Comment

Or he doesn't understand, why nobody else sees that he's the best in potting, safety play, etc.
        That's too funny!

Comment

• I'm not a favorite of either player, but despite this Murphy - Robertson is probably the highlight of the round of sixteen. Two great players certainly and so I just hope it will be close all the way.
          In the end I think the outcome will heavily rely on Murphy taking his chances. Robertson is the more complete player and should have the edge in the tactical duels over the course of the whole match.

Comment

And that's exactly why they never will become World Champion.
            Unless they do of course. Brecel and Lisowski have plenty of time to improve, and we're not exactly swamped with decent young players coming through. Lisowski has already gone from one 1/4 final last season, to 2 finals (3 including the league), a semi and 4 quarters this season. Why pressume that he's not going to improve further still?

Who would have thought Bingham would do anything in the worlds? Or that Dott or Ebdon would have landed the title? Never is a long time when you don't know what's going to happen in-between.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
              Unless they do of course. Brecel and Lisowski have plenty of time to improve, and we're not exactly swamped with decent young players coming through. Lisowski has already gone from one 1/4 final last season, to 2 finals (3 including the league), a semi and 4 quarters this season. Why pressume that he's not going to improve further still?

Who would have thought Bingham would do anything in the worlds? Or that Dott or Ebdon would have landed the title? Never is a long time when you don't know what's going to happen in-between.
              Yeah, obviously I meant that with their current style of play they won't ever get world champion. I said the same about Trump a few years back (though he was already awfully close against Higgins) and now picked him to win this year (though I already rue it). If they develop a better all-around game everything is possible.

As for Lisowski's finals, you can't really compare the World Championship to other tournaments though. The length of matches is totally different as well as the fact that it's the title everyone wants to have, while over the course of a season I guess there are many tournaments where some top players don't focus 100 percent.

I think Ebdon wasn't that surprising. He had a well all-around game and a very tough matchplay. It was just very surprising he beat Hendry in the final from my point of view.

I would say the world champion that bears the most hope for Lisowski and Brecel as an example is Murphy.

Comment

• Oh joy of joys ……...Carter looks like he is going through .
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Yeah, obviously I meant that with their current style of play they won't ever get world champion. I said the same about Trump a few years back (though he was already awfully close against Higgins) and now picked him to win this year (though I already rue it). If they develop a better all-around game everything is possible.

As for Lisowski's finals, you can't really compare the World Championship to other tournaments though. The length of matches is totally different as well as the fact that it's the title everyone wants to have, while over the course of a season I guess there are many tournaments where some top players don't focus 100 percent.

I think Ebdon wasn't that surprising. He had a well all-around game and a very tough matchplay. It was just very surprising he beat Hendry in the final from my point of view.

I would say the world champion that bears the most hope for Lisowski and Brecel as an example is Murphy.
                  My point is also that, yes they'll improve, but also that we have no idea of the quality of the top 16 in a decades time, so I wouldn't rule anything out. Robertson won't still be playing at nearly 50, Ronnie, Williams, Bingham, Hawkins, Higgins, Maguire won't be playing, Selby, Ding and Allen will be nearing if not already retired. Unless we start getting a lot of talent through, or the Chinese quality improves, the likes of Lisowski and Brecel are likely to be real contenders. The top players are older now and the next snooker generation has never been less obvious at any time in my living memory than it is now.

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                    Oh joy of joys ……...Carter looks like he is going through .
                    How many chickens?
                    Personally I'd prefer Carter to go through too, but this could now get twitchy...
                    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                    National Snooker Expo
                    25-27 October 2019
                    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

My point is also that, yes they'll improve, but also that we have no idea of the quality of the top 16 in a decades time, so I wouldn't rule anything out. Robertson won't still be playing at nearly 50, Ronnie, Williams, Bingham, Hawkins, Higgins, Maguire won't be playing, Selby, Ding and Allen will be nearing if not already retired. Unless we start getting a lot of talent through, or the Chinese quality improves, the likes of Lisowski and Brecel are likely to be real contenders. The top players are older now and the next snooker generation has never been less obvious at any time in my living memory than it is now.
                      A valid point indeed.

Comment

I think the odds heavily favour a Chinese player or two being as good or better than Ding is now in a decade. One of the group that made the Crucible this year, Yang, or maybe some 14-16 year old. They have so many young kids taking up the game, that it's a matter of time before we get another Ding level player.

I think if you ranked the twenty best players in the world under the age of 21 or 22, more than half of them would be Chinese. I think Brecel could be a force in a decade, but it's going to require some fundamental changes in his game and attitude.

Comment

• Another 147 attempt gone in vain.

Comment

• There have been some superb matches so far . Judd V Thepchaiya was an absolute joy to watch and I was gutted for Thepchaiya after that miscue . I still think Mark Selby has a great chance this year , even though he had a poor start , and both Kyren Wilson and Neil Robertson have good chances of lifting the title.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Derek savage View Post
                              There have been some superb matches so far . Judd V Thepchaiya was an absolute joy to watch and I was gutted for Thepchaiya after that miscue . I still think Mark Selby has a great chance this year , even though he had a poor start , and both Kyren Wilson and Neil Robertson have good chances of lifting the title.
                              Hopefully Kyren will find some form. He hasn't been convincing against Donaldson, the scoreline is pretty flattering. He looked out of sorts in China too. Got a feeling this isn't his year- Hawkins awaits in round 2, and he is looking to be cueing well.

Comment

• Shaun Murphy commentating on the Wilson/Donaldson match- I suppose that's one way to prepare for his second session! Never heard of a player going into the box mid-match, or even before they've been knocked out of a tournament before. Wouldn't be surprised if this is a first.

Comment

Working...
                                X