The first ever published rules of American snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first ever published rules of American snooker

Hi, I'm trying to find the first set of published rules for American snooker. I found the first mention in the press on 2 February 1917 (https://allaboutsnooker.info/sydenha...february-1917/), but I'm not sure if this is American snooker with the original rules. I've read that the rules were published in 1925, but I can't find the source. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have many sets of rules going back to 1910 (and a bit before) but not much mention of American Snooker.

The link does not open for me
    Last edited by DeanH; 27 September 2024, 04:07 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Found this:

There is another form of the game though, known as American Snooker, where the rules
      have been structured to resemble many of the American games of pool. In this version it
      would be a foul if no reds hit a cushion or fell into a pocket, and the cue-ball needs to hit at
      least one cushion after striking the pack. Another curiosity of American Snooker is that any
      foul carries a penalty of seven points. (The rules of American Snooker can be found on the
      website of Brunswick Billiards.)

Comment

I came across the first mention of snooker in the US in Field magazine on Saturday 30 March 1889:

"Snooker—Are there any printed rules for the American game of snooker, with all the pool and pyramid balls, and, if so, where are they to be had?—J. H.H.C."

I've looked but I can't find the original rules. All I can find is that the rules of American snooker are different from the standard English rules.

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        The link does not open for me
        It's a bit strange, but you can go to https://allaboutsnooker.info and search for 'American snooker'.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Found this:

There is another form of the game though, known as American Snooker, where the rules
          have been structured to resemble many of the American games of pool. In this version it
          would be a foul if no reds hit a cushion or fell into a pocket, and the cue-ball needs to hit at
          least one cushion after striking the pack. Another curiosity of American Snooker is that any
          foul carries a penalty of seven points. (The rules of American Snooker can be found on the
          website of Brunswick Billiards.)
          I couldn't find any snooker rules on the Brunswick Billiards website. It looks like there aren't any American or English rules either.
          https://www.brunswickbilliards.com/

Comment

the link did go to webarchive so who knows where it is in the old site

Comment

Working...
            X