How long before a pot is invalid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before a pot is invalid?

When a player plays a pot which results in the ball on teetering on the edge of the pocket, is there an official duration at which should the ball eventually drop it no longer counts?
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

I think there was a thread on this, and the rules don't specify a time. Rule of thumb for me is 2 or 3 seconds, or until the other player takes their turn, whichever is sooner.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
      I think there was a thread on this, and the rules don't specify a time. Rule of thumb for me is 2 or 3 seconds, or until the other player takes their turn, whichever is sooner.
      Thanks. 2-3 seconds seems a little harsh, but it answers my question somewhat.
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

yes this has been asked previously
        as you say WPBSA rules do not mention any specific time duration.
        (the only set of rules that I have found that does is Black Ball Pool rules where they stipulate 5 seconds)

I use the word (that is used in the rules) "momentarily" and say it in my head and exaggerate the syllables
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          (the only set of rules that I have found that does is Black Ball Pool rules where they stipulate 5 seconds)

I use the word (that is used in the rules) "momentarily" and say it in my head and exaggerate the syllables
          I would guess this is left to the referees discretion?

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

I think Dennis Taylor mentioned the other day, if the ball falls in after the momentary period and the ref replaces it AND then it falls in again... it counts as a scoring pot and the break can continue?!? Of course as it was DT who said this it could well be wrong....
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

I think Dennis Taylor mentioned the other day, if the ball falls in after the momentary period and the ref replaces it AND then it falls in again... it counts as a scoring pot and the break can continue?!? Of course as it was DT who said this it could well be wrong....
              ouch - no!
              if a ball falls again AND every time it falls the rules are applied as below as per the scenario at that time. and not Mr Taylor's "oh I cant be bothered to pick it out of the pocket again" attitude

Rule 3.9. Ball on Edge of Pocket
              When a ball falls into a pocket without being hit by another ball, and:
              (a) being no part of any stroke in progress, it shall be replaced and any points scored shall count.
              (b) If it would have been hit by any ball involved in a stroke:
              (i) with no infringement of these Rules (including cases where an infringement would have occurred but for the ball falling into a pocket), all balls will be replaced and the same stroke played again, or a different stroke may be played by the same striker at their discretion;
              (ii) if a foul is committed, the striker incurs the penalty prescribed in Section 3 Rule 11, all balls will be replaced and the next player has the usual options after a foul.
              (c) If a ball balances momentarily on the edge of a pocket and then falls in, it shall be considered potted or pocketed and shall not be replaced.

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I always thought ( prob wrongly ) that if a ball hovers over the pocket and the opponent has walked to the table, if the ball drops in then its a foul, 4 points to the player who left it over the pocket.
                Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

Working...
                X