When applying side do you's change the way you aim to pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When applying side do you's change the way you aim to pot

other day i was using side and pottin well with it . but now i cant do it lol . i forget how :S do yous have the same problem or is it just my crap brain lol

it takes years and years of practice to be able to pot well with side i just cant see how you can forget how to over night. maybe you where just playing crap.

Comment

must of been lol . one of them days i supose. is there any good methods to making better breaks , my highest is 36 i only avrage 15 a game :| any suggestions

Comment

not being funny but at your standard i wouldnt be to bothered with using side on pots as it changes the path of the pot and there easily missed and like i said takes a good while to master. just concentrate on potting the balls and start bringing side in to your game on saftey shots and get used to the way the white ball reacts. or try potting a ball plain ball then set up the same shot and play with side and see what happens the side will push the object ball of course so you have to ajust your angle its all practice and remembering the angles next time.or if your serious about getting better go see a GOOD coach its the only way really you can practice as much as you want but if you dont know what your doing in the first place its pointless

Comment

ye mate well said. ill forget about side and concentrate on potting. is it good to have a coach are ther many around in birmingham or dont u know

Comment

i am not that sure about coaches in birmingham but going to see a coach is very usefull but only if he's a very good coach . like i said theres no point practicing if you dont know what you should be doing in the first place a coach will show you the shots help you with practice and put you on the right path to being a better player.

Comment

whats your max break ste. where r u from

Comment

104 had quite a lot 80s and 70s but since my wife had our second child i only play 1 game on a thursday (match night) and i normally get friday night were i can get in a good few hours i am quite lucky as there are some very good players in my club so i get good practice .but since baby its all gone out the window.

Comment

amazing lol wish i could nock in 70's and that . u got any tips or no

Comment

i started playing for a team when i was 16 it always helps if you play with better players you learn alot quicker as you dont want to be picking balls out all night .at 1st i would get the odd 30/40 it took me about 8 years to get to a regular 50/60 break player i dont mean 1/2 a week more like 3/4 in a full night .i think i have reached my limit i am 30 now and dont get the time for quality practice too many comitments.but if your young and single ie no kids and can get a good few nights a week then i recommend going to see a coach i would rather have 10 hours of quality practice where i knew what i should be doing rather than have 20 hours of just knocking balls round if you understand what i am getting at.do you have any good players in your club? or you could try joining a team.in the end its all about quality practice not quantity.

Comment

It is almost impossible to tell you the answer to your question. As different cues, cloth, balls, weather condition (humidity for example) can effect the way the cue ball reacts with side spin. You must ask a more detailed question, your question is so vague. You must change the way you aim with side spin to deal with the throw/deflection. That is all the help I can give you via a forum. But for the benefit of your game, see a qualified coach for 1 to 1 coaching.

bongo

Comment

no disrespect bongo the lads a 15/30 player at best he's not looking for the meaning to life keep it simple. weather conditions! do you check the temp every time you go in to a different club.

Comment

Originally Posted by gazbrum View Post
                          must of been lol . one of them days i supose. is there any good methods to making better breaks , my highest is 36 i only avrage 15 a game :| any suggestions
                          If you play bad with side, then how did you make 36? Luck, i guess?

Comment

I advice you to experiment with side! Do it while practising on your own, see what happens and when you miss, make a mental note how you missed it and try to think a bit why it happened. Don't start practicing it in the middle of a match though, get familiar on your own and when a shot with side feels comfortable, use it in a match situation.

On some shots you have to think more about the "throw" that side causes on the object ball, and on some shots the "deflection/squirt" which sends to cue ball off line, and you need to learn to adjust accordingly. With practise your intuition will get stronger and stronger and adjustment comes somewhat automatically. Be open and never think it cannot be learned.

(If not familiar with those terms "throw and "deflection/squirt" look them up from this forum.)

Play different types of shots with side, both back and top spin. Try putting on both a little bit and loads of it, and witness what happens. This will develop a strong intuition about how to play with side.

Learn to apply side so that you don't cue across the cue ball and always deliver you cue in straight line, as you would do on a no-side shot.

Of course it's better to not use it when you don't need it, because it always adds uncertainty, but then again there are shots when you really need it. Try to get comfortable with it, it's not rocket science.

IMO people who say "don't play with side just learn to cue straight and etc." are the ones who never bothered to learn it themselves. This just causes a lot of prejudice against applying side and younger players start to think it's something that can never be learned. I say go and experiment!

It's the attitude that matters, and you have to remain open, be on the right frame of mind when learning something new and analyze your doing. You have to be ready to work for the results.

-wzrd

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                              no disrespect bongo the lads a 15/30 player at best he's not looking for the meaning to life keep it simple. weather conditions! do you check the temp every time you go in to a different club.
                              No, of course I don't check the temperature of each club I go to! It can effect the way the cue ball reacts with side spin though, very slightly (I'm talking about weather extremes). I am just mentioning it to give him better understanding, just to realise it can make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X