Triple Crown Winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by neuronic View Post
    .......... And of course he loudly and repeatedly decided not to wear the badge when they were introduced because he's quite a narcissistic personality and he needs to reassure how "special" and different from all the other triple crown winners he is... which he is, but not always in a completely pleasant way
    Thanks, that is what I was wondering, I must have missed that particular rant. 😁 As for his personality, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be a stable, grounded person when you are constantly told for decades that you are the best thing since sliced bread, it must be a lot to live up to & live with. Love him or hate him, there is no denying that it is characters like him & Alex Higgins before him, that contributed a lot to the sport getting the attention that it enjoys today.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      For me, the tournament on now should be above the masters. Its the top sixteen on the one year list, so the best players on current form. That should make it harder to win than the masters.
      I think that's fair comment and stands up. The China open was begining to get labeled as major largely due to the prize pot! But I don't really think you can change the history of the game and the importance of certain wins. Adding to this with wins in great comps like the players certainly makes for a great CV !
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I don’t think Neuronic really gets it ,or Osullivan .,the BBC wouldn’t be calling it triple crown and majors if they themselves didn’t cover these events ,the World championship is by far the only real one everyone wants to win ,the Uk is now a dumbed down version of what it was ,the masters is a top 16 event only ,yes prestigious but it’s the way the BBC blow their own trumpet on these events .As for Ronnie I think he can amuse himself however he likes after 30 years at the top .

Comment

Ronnie isn't actually that fussed about that kind of thing. He's literally won tournaments and handed his trophy to people in the crowd before.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
            Ronnie isn't actually that fussed about that kind of thing. He's literally won tournaments and handed his trophy to people in the crowd before.
            I doubt ever a trophy but he has handed over medals
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

I doubt ever a trophy but he has handed over medals

As countless other athletes in countless other sports have always done. If you consider yourself really good at what you're doing, you don't like loser badges, even if they're kind of shiny. So... nothing special (as non-special as fans vindicating their idols).
              "That pocket moved!"

Comment

As countless other athletes in countless other sports have always done. If you consider yourself really good at what you're doing, you don't like loser badges, even if they're kind of shiny. So... nothing special (as non-special as fans vindicating their idols).

we have all seen ROS hand "runners-up" medal to someone immediately after presentation
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
                  Exactly which tournaments? Which trophies did he hand over? As Dean says, I think you're confusing winners trophies with losers medals, very different thing indeed.

-
                  The fast and the furious,
                  The slow and labourious,
                  All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Yes. And we have seen this time and time again, in Snooker or any other sport. We have seen John Higgins doing that.

It's when the runner-up thinks he's too good to situationally endure being labeled as second and then easily gets rid of that label situationally also (in this case the medal). This is not "not caring about trophies", it is in fact quite the opposite: it's thinking you're the better than the rest , thus deserving better that just the medal, and then failing to process the situational dent in your self-image.
                    Last edited by neuronic; 14 February 2022, 12:56 PM.
                    "That pocket moved!"

Comment

Yes. And we have seen this time and time again, in Snooker or any other sport. We have seen John Higgins doing that.

It's when the runner-up thinks he's too good to situationally endure being labeled as second and then easily gets rid of that label situationally also (in this case the medal). This is not "not caring about trophies", it is in fact quite the opposite: it's thinking you're the better than the rest , thus deserving better that just the medal, and then failing to process the situational dent in your self-image.
                      Or it could be that a runners up medal ain’t worth putting up in your trophy cabinet when your used to winning things ..it’s all relative.

I really don’t think it’s that deep tbh Neuronic .

Comment

It's actually much deeper than just that... ask any psychologist
                        "That pocket moved!"

Comment

You can add me to the list of people who strongly dislike the Triple Crown crap. Before the pandemic, the UK Championship had dropped down to 4th place among ranking events in terms of prize money and length of matches. I get it has a lot more history than other events, but you can't dumb the format down like that and expect the tournament to still keep all of its prestige.

Comment

It's actually much deeper than just that... ask any psychologist
                            I would do but they’d probably charge me by the hour .

Some would say that a psychologist would see a deeper meaning in any human action as it’s their job to do so ….others might say it’s all just psycho babble

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

Exactly which tournaments? Which trophies did he hand over? As Dean says, I think you're confusing winners trophies with losers medals, very different thing indeed.

-
                              Hi, sorry for the long wait. He gave at least one trophy away when he won in Asia somewhere. Think maybe Shanghai? Around 5 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X