Hitting a red off the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting a red off the table

Player A is 32 points behind player B while there are 35 points still in the table (colors+one red). Player A hits a good safety shot not leaving a pot on. Player B then decides to just hit the red as hard as he ever can, resulting the red going off the table. So it's a faul and 4 points but now Player A requires one snooker as he's 28 points behind and only 27 on the table.

I doubt there's nothing Player A could do, maybe accuse Player B of an unsportsmanlike conduct, but hey, player A could always say he didnt mean to hit the red in off.

Does anyone have any comments or experiences about a similar situation?
    "I don't need the money. I don't need the media. All that stuff just makes you into a worse person, and I am, for sure, much more of a dick now than I used to be. Because I have to deal with people all the time who feel like they know me from seeing me on TV. OK, you might think you know me, but I don't know you, so don't ****ing come up and give me high-fives and say 'sign this'. Coming from a small town, that's not the way I want to be. After a few hundred thousand times, it wears on you."

no nothing player A Can do apart from getting snookers....

you can acuse a player of trying to hit a ball off the table all you want but you cant prove it and trying to hit the ball hard enough to make the ball leave the table would be stupid because he wouldnt have a control on where that red would finish with 6 pockets on the table it could be hanging over any of them.

Comment

Similar questions have been asked here (and on other forums) before and I think the usual view was that this would not be classed as ungentlemanly conduct, although I do not see why it should not be so, if deliberate.

An alternative would be to make a break of 35+ at the beginning of a frame, and then swipe every ball off the table with one's arms, giving away only 7 points and leaving only 27 points remaining. This, if practised regularly, would help attract many viewers and sponsors, I'm sure.
      "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
      David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Mmm, not sure if it makes any difference to the case in question but is it not a seven point penalty for forcing any ball off the table?

Comment

but is it not a seven point penalty for forcing any ball off the table?
          No, only if the black is forced off of the table, or if the cue-ball is forced off of the table after first striking the black, will it be a seven point penalty. Section 3 Rule 12(d)(i) to (vi) outlines seven point penalties not relating to the black ball.

If the player done this a couple of times in a frame/match, the referee MAY warn him that if he continues to do so, he could lose the frame and/or match for Ungentlmanly Conduct (Section 4 Rule 1).
          Last edited by DawRef; 3 February 2009, 09:28 PM.
          You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Thanks DawRef, I'm not a snooker player so you'll have to forgive my ignorance

Comment

Happy to help.
              You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Working...
              X