New Mixed Doubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mixed Doubles

When reading about this upcoming tournament recently, I spotted that the format will be 'alternate visits' as opposed to 'alternate shots'

I have never heard of the 'alternate shots' method before. Is this something that is played regularly?

I assume that it means that player A pots a red but then his /her teamate then comes to the table and attempts to pot the colour that player A played to get on. If the colour is successfuly potted, player A returns to the table to pot the next red and so on until the break ends. Is that right? Is the format successful?

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
    When reading about this upcoming tournament recently, I spotted that the format will be 'alternate visits' as opposed to 'alternate shots'

I have never heard of the 'alternate shots' method before. Is this something that is played regularly?

I assume that it means that player A pots a red but then his /her teamate then comes to the table and attempts to pot the colour that player A played to get on. If the colour is successfuly potted, player A returns to the table to pot the next red and so on until the break ends. Is that right? Is the format successful?
    you assume correctly
    Alternating Shots has been used before in snooker over the years but is not common. It is very common in pool pairs.
    And so have alternating visits -which I think they have used in this small player numbers format to allow the players to get into their rhythm and produce a spectacle in snooker.
    Alternating Shots does not lend itself to players getting into their zones

FYI - over the years I have often heard alternating shots version called "Scotch-doubles", no idea where that comes from - apart from guessing it may have come from Scotland?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

you assume correctly
      Alternating Shots has been used before in snooker over the years but is not common. It is very common in pool pairs.
      And so have alternating visits -which I think they have used in this small player numbers format to allow the players to get into their rhythm and produce a spectacle in snooker.
      Alternating Shots does not lend itself to players getting into their zones

FYI - over the years I have often heard alternating shots version called "Scotch-doubles", no idea where that comes from - apart from guessing it may have come from Scotland?
      Yeah Scotch doubles, that's what it gets called up here in Cumbria. Never asked but I just assumed it originated in Scotland.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Yeah Scotch doubles, that's what it gets called up here in Cumbria. Never asked but I just assumed it originated in Scotland.

well I am far away "dar'n sar'f" and I know this term from the 80s
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I've been introduced to it in Norwich, where it's called "Scotch Pairs" (for some reason I ignore too) and I must say I like playing it. I agree that pros / good break-builders are more at ease in the alternate visits format. At the same time, this is exactly why Scotch Doubles is intriguing: you need to be a team in a stricter sense, know your mate's strengths and weaknesses, leave the cue-ball where your team-mate, not you, would like it... Some time ago, I posted a link to a video where Mark Allen and Kyren Wilson scored a joint 147 in Scotch Doubles, what made it special was exactly the fact they were playing for each other. Still, I see the point of not making it a pro-tournament specialty: it would take a lot of preparation and training together, time that single pros do not have.
          For me -- not a good break-builder -- the advantage of Scotch Doubles is that you go to the table much more often: with alternate visits you wait minutes even if no ball is potted, a frame with normal club players can last forever, I get bored after a while... Given the same time spent on a frame, you definitely play more shots in Scotch Doubles.

All the best to everybody on the forum (I'll be in MK to see the opening session, btw) !

Comment

We used to play this in the club, I found it much more enjoyable than normal doubles, it made me concentrate much more, I'm looking forward to watching this tournament
            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Trump says hes looking forward Ng on Yee stroking his balls , they are taking turns at it

Comment

Working...
              X