Snooker World Ranking System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cue,
    Doesn't every player always try to score more than their opponent in order to win?

Anyway, I had a quick browse of the Forum Snooker History category.
    1974 first world ranking. Point system:
    Winner - 5 pts.
    R/up - 4 pts.
    S/final - 3 pts.
    Q/finals - 2 pts.
    Last 16 - 1 pt.
    So I guess that's how the pre-money point sys worked. If we were to go back to the very beginning of the game, were potted points ever used for rankings?

Comment

Originally Posted by Tano View Post
      CIf we were to go back to the very beginning of the game, were potted points ever used for rankings?
      I have info going way way back, and from my findings, that year (1974) was the first year of any ranking system (IIRC) and points-scored has never been the ranking system
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Ranking Points system is nothing to do with points scored in a frame/match
        But events were given "Ranking points", as I said above, maybe there was some sort of formula used to come to the points for the event or it was just comparison of similar events (BO frames, etc.), and "prestigiousness" (?)
        for example
        2013/2014 season - winner points, Best of, winner prize
        Wuxi Classic - 7000, 19, £80k
        AUS Open - 5000, 17, $70k
        Shanghai Mstrs - 7000, 19, £80k
        Indian Open - 5000, 9, £50k
        Int Chmps - 8000, 19, £125k
        UK Chmps - 8000, 19, £150k
        German Msts - 5000, 17, €80k
        Welsh Open - 5000, 17, £60K
        World Open - 7000, 19, £85k
        China Open - 7000, 19, £85k
        EuroTour each - 2000, 7, €25k
        Asian Tour each - 2000, 7, £10k
        Players Tour Final - 3000, 7, £100k
        WSC - 10000, 35, £300k
        Dean,
        ​​​​​​You wrote "Ranking Points system is nothing to do with points scored in a frame/match".
        Thank you for this key clarification. Once I take this info into account, my question becomes silly. The question is only worth asking if one is willing to go back to the very begins of snooker leagues/tournaments. What is it about a potted-point ranking sys that makes it undesirable. Thanks all for your comments.

Comment

In an attempt to lessen my ignorance, I've done some further research:

Snooker was developed circa 1875. The oldest and longest-running Snooker tournament is the English Amateur Championship established 1916 and they used aggregate points to determine the winner. In 1927 they changed to frames won. Coincidentally, 1927 was also the year the first pro tournament, the World Snooker Championship, was established. Haven't found any specific info on their ranking method so I'm going to guess they used frames won, at least to begin with. Can anyone fill in the gap between 1927 & 2015?

Comment

Snooker was developed circa 1875. The oldest and longest-running Snooker tournament is the English Amateur Championship established 1916 and they used aggregate points to determine the winner. In 1927 they changed to frames won. Coincidentally, 1927 was also the year the first pro tournament, the World Snooker Championship, was established. Haven't found any specific info on their ranking method so I'm going to guess they used frames won, at least to begin with. Can anyone fill in the gap between 1927 & 2015?
            As I said above I believe that 1974 was the first time a professional player ranking system was developed, before this matches were "money" matches or challenge type, and only a few tournaments as we would recognise today
            My records go back to late 1800s

Of course if any one finds any information on earlier than 70s ranking system please let us know

Comment

Dean,
              The information I shared here was taken from Wikipedia: Snooker - Wikipedia
              The information you have about the history and evolution of snookers ranking system seems to be missing from Wikipedia's records and so would benefit from your knowledge. It would enhance and help preserve the written record and history of Snooker if you were to edit Wikipedia's Snooker webpage by adding your knowledge to it. You would also be doing a good and honorable service to the game so many love. I hope you will consider it.
              Best regards

Comment

Dean,
                The information I shared here was taken from Wikipedia: Snooker - Wikipedia
                The information you have about the history and evolution of snookers ranking system seems to be missing from Wikipedia's records and so would benefit from your knowledge. It would enhance and help preserve the written record and history of Snooker if you were to edit Wikipedia's Snooker webpage by adding your knowledge to it. You would also be doing a good and honorable service to the game so many love. I hope you will consider it.
                Best regards
                I have edited some Wiki pages before - I will have to do further in-depth research before editing that page
                Also it will have to go to the bottom of the pile of all the other research projects I have on the go already

Comment

Personally, I would use a more performance-objective manner of determining the ranking like World Golf rankings do that takes into consideration other factors other than money. The most dominant method they use is "Strength of Field," that is, the algorithm used to determine how many ranked players were in a certain tournament, as well as "Strength of Opposition," which takes into consideration the rankings of all individual opponents a player plays against within a tournament. The money offered should, frankly, have nothing to do with the actual performance of a player to assign rankings. Of course, there usually, but not always, is a correlation between tournaments with Strength of Field requirements, and of course money earned in a tournament is also a major factor. In any case. Of course using the most recent two-year period, gradated throughout so most recent performance is rated higher than performance done within an earlier period, would make this system the most objective possible.

After saying all that, though, I'm not sure how much different the ranking lists would be. I only know that this system would be fairer to assess from an objective standpoint than through money only.

Comment

Wouldn't work in snooker as its a one on one sport, golf is an individual against the field sport.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                    X