Sighting accurately advice, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting accurately advice, please.

So, I'm right handed, right eye dominant and my left eye can't turn left, I also tend to be an object ball sighter at impact. I've played the game, on and off for 40 years, but coming back after approx 15 years away. Looking for tips-advice on how i can work out if I'm cueing straight and seeing shots accurately please. I've noticed that with rest play, if I sight the cue down my right eye, as if shooting a gun, my accuracy is much improved. Given that rest play creates more distance between my head and the cue ball, just wondering how I transfer this to normal cueing? If that makes any sense. Someone mentioned sightright, but no idea if that would help, not sure I want to pay money out with no guarantee of help. TIA.

You could try a longer bridge length to give you more cue to look down but that brings it's own problems.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      You could try a longer bridge length to give you more cue to look down but that brings it's own problems.
      Or try to play every shot with a rest??🤣🤣 hmmm, maybe that's not as bad an idea as it sounds...🤔🤔👍

Comment

The optimum eye position when using the rest is not necessarily the optimum position for other shots. As you say, the cb is further away when using the rest, and they brain favours the dominant eye more when looking at far objects.

I would stand behind the shot and move slightly from side to side until the shot looks right. Only a matter of an inch or so either way. Then get down, focusing on the shot that you are about to play - 'bear down' on the shot as it were. If you do this, your head should get into the right position automatically (which is what you want).

Once you are down on, if you can 'see' the shot, ie if it looks right, then you are good to go. Otherwise, you could try moving your head slightly from side to side (you can see Selby doing this sometimes).

Do your feathers until you are happy that you are aiming the shot correctly. Then trust your stroke (avoid steering during the delivery).

Comment

Thank you for sharing this vmax , I'll give it a go next time I'm on a table. 👍👍

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax

Do your own sightrite test with a piece of A4 paper, draw a straight line down the middle of it with a sharpie and fold it as seen in these images. Line it up to the cue ball with the drawn line exactly on the line of aim to the object ball, then stand behind the shot in the place where you see the line on the paper unbroken, step into your stance from that position.

http://
            perfect, good man

Comment

Love it vmax, not really rocket science is it! I've said the same to many in my club. There is more too it, but essentially it's about getting on line.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax

Do your own sightrite test with a piece of A4 paper, draw a straight line down the middle of it with a sharpie and fold it as seen in these images. Line it up to the cue ball with the drawn line exactly on the line of aim to the object ball, then stand behind the shot in the place where you see the line on the paper unbroken, step into your stance from that position.

http://
                Ok, so just tried this down the club, ran it across the baulk line for consistency. Lined my cue up, as best I could, down the line, cued up and the line moved all over the place. Eventually, to keep the line straight I had to move my head left until the cue was under my right eye. So my cue was straight, the line was straight, but then i had slight double vision on the object ball. No wonder I'm god awful at this game, can't see straight, can't sight straight, can't cue straight. 🤷🤦.

Comment

Pick a line, put your cue and head on it as best you can and cue smoothly with a nice tempo, keeping as still as possible, that's pretty much it

Comment

I give up, replies deleted
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      I give up, replies deleted
                      vmaxhave I upset you in some way, or broken some forum rule? I'm not being facetious. I'm just not sure if your comment relates to me? I followed what you advised and reported what happened, sorry for any upset.

Comment

Originally Posted by Griff1 View Post

vmaxhave I upset you in some way, or broken some forum rule? I'm not being facetious. I'm just not sure if your comment relates to me? I followed what you advised and reported what happened, sorry for any upset.
                        You did not follow what was stated on the post, I said nothing about putting the paper on the baulk line, lining up your cue to the line, moving your head to put your right eye over the line, I simply stated to stand behind the shot where you see an unbroken line and step into the stance from there.
                        You're not the first, but you are the last of so very, very many and I'm done with this now.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

You did not follow what was stated on the post, I said nothing about putting the paper on the baulk line, lining up your cue to the line, moving your head to put your right eye over the line, I simply stated to stand behind the shot where you see an unbroken line and step into the stance from there.
                          You're not the first, but you are the last of so very, very many and I'm done with this now.
                          Sorry to hear that, but, as you say, if I'm not the first, but obvioulsy the last, maybe it's you and how you explain is the main issue? Just suggesting. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally Posted by Griff1 View Post

Sorry to hear that, but, as you say, if I'm not the first, but obvioulsy the last, maybe it's you and how you explain is the main issue? Just suggesting. Thanks anyway.
                            The post was simple enough to understand unless english isn't your first language, if it is then you read something that wasn't there. The sightrite test puts you at ground zero, back to basics as far as where you yourself can see a straight line, that's all it does so that's all I stated, the rest of what you did was down to your interpretation, not my explaination.

Comment

The post was simple enough to understand unless english isn't your first language, if it is then you read something that wasn't there. The sightrite test puts you at ground zero, back to basics as far as where you yourself can see a straight line, that's all it does so that's all I stated, the rest of what you did was down to your interpretation, not my explaination.
                              It's very important to learn how you "see straight"
                              What sight right do is exactly what Vmax said stand behind and move from side to side until you are happy the line looks continuous.
                              It then tells you to take a note of where that line if brought back would touch your body, this gives you a reference point to line up with(they recommend putting your pouch where the line would touch as that helps getting that body alignment consistent.
                              They also do what they call a high planer and a low planer test, one is for how you see straight standing up and the other for how you see down on the shot, seeing two lines is common, this is where you have got it wrong as vmax said you have added in your own stuff. They then introduce what they call the site right step, this is pretty much where I parted company with the idea as I don't like to get down on the shot that way.
                              If you want to do site right there is a home course you can pay for, they send you a little sight rite thing and lots of little videos that could be explained in about two minutes, padded out over weeks.
                              It works, it definitely works, there is nothing new in it, but it will help you get on line and give you a very consistent pre shot routine, it's not a magic wand and like everything it takes hours and hours of practice, so if that's what you think is holding you back it might be for you.
                              My personal opinion, it's a marketing wonder, it wasn't really taking off until Mark Williams success using it but no mention is made of all the pros that used it and it didn't really make a difference to their game in the long run.
                              Having said that, I'm not sure if Stuart Bingham was doing it when he won the WC or if that was before sight right, If he was using it fair enough that's a great success for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X