scoring procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoring procedure

Can anyone give tips on rules/etiquette for scoring in matches with no referee/scorer? Obviously the opponent scores for the player at the table, but on occasion I have been in situations where there is uncertainty over whether all points have points have been registered. i.e. a player at some point looks at the scoreboard and says "hang on, I can't have only X points".

Would the best way of doing it be that it is the player's responsibility to check the size of his break after he is finished and check that it is correctly added on? This seems rather obvious now I write it down, but I wonder if anyone has tips for routines for making sure it all happens correctly.

scoring procedure

There can be disputes about the total whoever has actually moved the pointer so it is up to the individual to be aware of their own score.
    I was taught that you put your own score on,as counted by your opponent.This is the obvious way really as the following player wants to be addressing their shot straight away.The exception is when you have fouled,it is then polite to add those points to your opponents score.
    I've seen some people adding up as they go along.This is the worst way,one mistake,and the whole score is trashed.

Comment

I would add to this – you should (both) get into the habit of calling out the scores shot-by-shot as your opponent makes his break. That way, there is much less scope for error because you double the chance that someone will notice if you, say, only add 4 on for the blue or whatever.

If you get to the end of a 30-odd break and your opponent just says "Thirty-three, mate" and it has included a variety of high and low colours, any miscount might never be known.

Comment

I've seen some people adding up as they go along.This is the worst way,one mistake,and the whole score is trashed.
        Agreed. I don't think there is a 'hard and fast' rule. As Statman said, you should both keep a record of the shot by shot score.
        You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Working...
        X