Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed tip 3 times and misscue with all of them, other cues no issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Just your tip in the top pic looks slightly coned instead of straight.
    Put your finger and thumb either side of the tip if you can rock it, take it off.
    without seeing your technique it's hard to give advice , is it power screw you are struggling with as normal ,say two or three foot screw back shots can be done with any old tip and yours look OK for that.
    Yeah I think it does have a cone to it, third time I've replaced it, tip is well on there would need to cut it off

It's any extreme side, any screw shot and any shot off cushion,

My dad misscues with it as well. I can screw back with club cues, just not this cue, I've got a crap cue that I put top on with same method and it doesnt do this, you just cant get a nice contact unless you hit centre ball

Is coning of the tip an issue?

Comment

Originally Posted by Ukweed View Post

Yeah I think it does have a cone to it, third time I've replaced it, tip is well on there would need to cut it off

My dad misscues with it as well. I can screw back with club cues, just not this cue, I've got a crap cue that I put top on with same method and it doesnt do this, you just cant get a nice contact unless you hit centre ball

I wish I could let you test it, I dont think anyone can screw back with this

My dad is going to take it and practice with it a bit himself, I got him to play a match against me with it and he literally misscues off break and missed every ball and landed on cush, then misscued off cush and hit pink. 10 points in 2 shots lol, deffo something wrong with this tip or cue or ferrule or something and I've done 3 tips

Has to be either the cue/ferrule or my tip method I guess,

But like I say, I've done a good few tips this way without problems

I've still to check for any cracks in the shaft

Comment

I wish I could let you test it, I dont think anyone can screw back with this

My dad is going to take it and practice with it a bit himself, I got him to play a match against me with it and he literally misscues off break and missed every ball and landed on cush, then misscued off cush and hit pink. 10 points in 2 shots lol, deffo something wrong with this tip or cue or ferrule or something and I've done 3 tips

Has to be either the cue/ferrule or my tip method I guess,

But like I say, I've done a good few tips this way without problems

I've still to check for any cracks in the shaft
        I suppose I could get the local tip guy to do me a tip to rule the tip out, just a shame to pay someone if it doesnt fix the issue

Comment

Also sorry for spam, I dont see a way to edit posts,

But I have another tip and glue, let me know if I should retip it and use a stanley and try to cut it flush with ferrule with that instead, so it isnt coned, but will be 4th time I've retipped it

Willing to try anything at this point

Comment

Also sorry for spam, I dont see a way to edit posts,
            Edit - should appear the next time you login (after 10 posts and time )
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The rocking isn't to see if the tips stuck on properly, it's to see if the tips spongy, thumb and finger either side of the tip and try and wobble the tip see if the top half moves around.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

For deep screw and off the cushion a cone shape isn't good imo. You will have more chance of running over the top of the cue ball when tight on the cush and a bit more of a chance of just getting under the ball on a screw shot, although the tip looks OK for general in amongst the balls stuff.
                when you say you don't have trouble screwing back, what does that mean, can you scew off a black on the spot back to the cush and get the cue ball to the other sde of the table? Im just trying to get a picture of where you're at technique wise. When you say extreme side where are you hitting the cue ball on the clock face, its just that some folk think extreme side is away at the edge of the ball when its really not. Everyone will miscue away out at the edge.
                one last thing, does this cue have a smaller tip than the other cues you mention?
                Last edited by itsnoteasy; 19 July 2024, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Edit - should appear the next time you login (after 10 posts and time )

Ah perfect its working now, thank you

For deep screw and off the cushion a cone shape isn't good imo. You will have more chance of running over the top of the cue ball when tight on the cush and a bit more of a chance of just getting under the ball on a screw shot, although the tip looks OK for general in amongst the balls stuff.
                  when you say you don't have trouble screwing back, what does that mean, can you scew off a black on the spot back to the cush and get the cue ball to the other sde of the table? Im just trying to get a picture of where you're at technique wise. When you say extreme side where are you hitting the cue ball on the clock face, its just that some folk think extreme side is away at the edge of the ball when its really not. Everyone will miscue away out at the edge.
                  one last thing, does this cue have a smaller tip than the other cues you mention?
                  Thank you for your replies. Both cues are 9.5mm.

I'm talking more screwing from blue spot back to the middle pocket, I cant screw back off cushions with reverse side or anything crazy usually

I've checked both cues and theres no rocking, or spongieness, 0 movement with a fair amount of force

Also no obvious cracks in shaft or ferrule

I'm misscueing on shots I dont normally misscue on, like I cant screw back from blue spot to middle pocket, just chip cue ball or misscue and get terrible sound, anything more than half a tip of side and it's likely to misscue, impossible to hit a ball off the cushion. My dad repeatedly misscued/chipped cue ball trying to screw back off blue the other day, I got him to try with the cheap cue and he got screw and clean contact first time. For example.

It misscues/chips when using rest as well if that's relevant, to both me and my dad.

It's making a bad sound and often making the ball jump or sliding off and rolling it away sort of diagonally

Just feels like theres absolutely no grip and its rock solid

This has been going on for months only with this cue, I originally thought it was my technique and took videos of me trying to screw back off the blue to middle pocket, and was constantly chipping the cue ball, had it in slow mo and cue wasnt scooping, looked good, to me and my dad, wish I still had the video.

Was only when I tried my old cue and club cues that I realised its only happening with this cue, then got my dad to try it and he had all the same problems Screenshot_20240719-231201_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240719-231942_Gallery.jpg

I added a picture of my problem cue on left next to my cheap old cue on the right,

Then last pic is of the cheap cue, which I dont misscue with. That tip came off about a year ago and got glued back on lol

update:

My dads taking the cue to the club with him today, to see If he can figure it out,

I think You might be onto something with the cone shape, making it slide under and over the ball, like a wedge of sorts. Because its jumping the cue ball on screw shots, even slow ones, without scooping it

I think next step might be to retip it and not use the sharpener, although I have always used the sharpener without issue so I'm still not certain that's the problem, but I'm coming round to the idea
                  Last edited by Ukweed; 20 July 2024, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Ah perfect its working now, thank you

Thank you for your replies. Both cues are 9.5mm.

I'm talking more screwing from blue spot back to the middle pocket, I cant screw back off cushions with reverse side or anything crazy usually

I've checked both cues and theres no rocking, or spongieness, 0 movement with a fair amount of force

Also no obvious cracks in shaft or ferrule

I'm misscueing on shots I dont normally misscue on, like I cant screw back from blue spot to middle pocket, just chip cue ball or misscue and get terrible sound, anything more than half a tip of side and it's likely to misscue, impossible to hit a ball off the cushion. My dad repeatedly misscued/chipped cue ball trying to screw back off blue the other day, I got him to try with the cheap cue and he got screw and clean contact first time. For example.

It misscues/chips when using rest as well if that's relevant, to both me and my dad.

It's making a bad sound and often making the ball jump or sliding off and rolling it away sort of diagonally

Just feels like theres absolutely no grip and its rock solid

This has been going on for months only with this cue, I originally thought it was my technique and took videos of me trying to screw back off the blue to middle pocket, and was constantly chipping the cue ball, had it in slow mo and cue wasnt scooping, looked good, to me and my dad, wish I still had the video.

Was only when I tried my old cue and club cues that I realised its only happening with this cue, then got my dad to try it and he had all the same problems Screenshot_20240719-231201_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240719-231942_Gallery.jpg

I added a picture of my problem cue on left next to my cheap old cue on the right,

Then last pic is of the cheap cue, which I dont misscue with. That tip came off about a year ago and got glued back on lol

update:

My dads taking the cue to the club with him today, to see If he can figure it out,

I think You might be onto something with the cone shape, making it slide under and over the ball, like a wedge of sorts. Because its jumping the cue ball on screw shots, even slow ones, without scooping it

I think next step might be to retip it and not use the sharpener, although I have always used the sharpener without issue so I'm still not certain that's the problem, but I'm coming round to the idea
                    I'm just guessing obviously as I can't play with the cue, where abouts are you, if your anywhere near Carlisle you can bring it round and I'll have a look at it on my table.
                    to me your new cue looks nearer a 10mm and your other cue looks more like 9.5 which doesn't really matter as that should make it harder to miss cue. It's hard to tell from the pictures so again I'm only guessing.

Comment

I'm just guessing obviously as I can't play with the cue, where abouts are you, if your anywhere near Carlisle you can bring it round and I'll have a look at it on my table.
                      to me your new cue looks nearer a 10mm and your other cue looks more like 9.5 which doesn't really matter as that should make it harder to miss cue. It's hard to tell from the pictures so again I'm only guessing.
                      My dad tried it out earlier and played around with the tip with a file and stuff, said it didnt really sort it.

His exact words:

'Cue report.

Played about 30 mins.
                      Made some tip adjustments, a bit of filing, flattening etc.
                      Made a few decent screw and stun shots but majority poor
                      Not great off the cushion.
                      A better and more accurate cueist would have got better results.
                      Adding the short extension improved the screw shots for some reason

Conclusion

Cue appears to be a problem when not pure straight ball.

No obvious or apparent reason

Some psychology involved as you change cue action, anticipating a problem and this exaggerates the issue.

Options.

Give cue to someone else without explaining the issue. See how the feedback is.

Replace cue and put it down to an unsolved mystery.'

I think I'll try putting on my final tip, with straight sides, to see if that helps, then if not probably retire the cue, it's only a 100 quid selby argos cue just seems a shame to stop using it as it was good enough for what I do, before that I used the 25/30 quid argos cues not even made of ash and really light.

I'm from scotland but live in england, I have family in Carlisle I believe, was over that way for an emergency prescription from my Dr last time I was up in Scotland, could only get it from an english pharmacy and closest was in carlisle lol.

if I have same results with the new tip, I would definitely be up for posting it to you and could buy a return label as well, if you were interested to have a look, would be 0 risk on my part anyways since it will be put in the spare room for eternity if the new tip doesnt help lol.

The coned tip is only thing Ieft that would make any sense to me, unless theres a hairline crack somewhere I dont know about

Thank you for all your help and taking the time to reply

Ps, yes the cheap cue does appear to have a narrower tip, not sure if it's the ferrule or way I shaped tip, but the end radius is certainly less
                      Last edited by Ukweed; 20 July 2024, 05:26 PM.

Comment

My dad tried it out earlier and played around with the tip with a file and stuff, said it didnt really sort it.

His exact words:

'Cue report.

Played about 30 mins.
                        Made some tip adjustments, a bit of filing, flattening etc.
                        Made a few decent screw and stun shots but majority poor
                        Not great off the cushion.
                        A better and more accurate cueist would have got better results.
                        Adding the short extension improved the screw shots for some reason

Conclusion

Cue appears to be a problem when not pure straight ball.

No obvious or apparent reason

Some psychology involved as you change cue action, anticipating a problem and this exaggerates the issue.

Options.

Give cue to someone else without explaining the issue. See how the feedback is.

Replace cue and put it down to an unsolved mystery.'

I think I'll try putting on my final tip, with straight sides, to see if that helps, then if not probably retire the cue, it's only a 100 quid selby argos cue just seems a shame to stop using it as it was good enough for what I do, before that I used the 25/30 quid argos cues not even made of ash and really light.

I'm from scotland but live in england, I have family in Carlisle I believe, was over that way for an emergency prescription from my Dr last time I was up in Scotland, could only get it from an english pharmacy and closest was in carlisle lol.

if I have same results with the new tip, I would definitely be up for posting it to you and could buy a return label as well, if you were interested to have a look, would be 0 risk on my part anyways since it will be put in the spare room for eternity if the new tip doesnt help lol.

The coned tip is only thing Ieft that would make any sense to me, unless theres a hairline crack somewhere I dont know about

Thank you for all your help and taking the time to reply

Ps, yes the cheap cue does appear to have a narrower tip, not sure if it's the ferrule or way I shaped tip, but the end radius is certainly less
                        I wouldn't advise bying any cues from Argos, or any modern cue with players names on them, they are usually mass produced rubbish ( for want of a better expression).
                        I'm also a refugee from Scotland but only made it to Carlisle before my bottle crashed lol.
                        If you want a decent cue or at least a playable cue for around that money get in touch with ADR on here what he doesn't know about what you can get for your money isn't worth knowing, I'm pretty sure he could sort you out.
                        could you stick up some decent full length pictures of the cue up, is it a different length/weight/ ballance point than your other cue? This can affect your cueing, just asking as your dad said putting the mini butt on seemed to help.
                        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 20 July 2024, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't advise bying any cues from Argos, or any modern cue with players names on them, they are usually mass produced rubbish ( for want of a better expression).
                          I'm also a refugee from Scotland but only made it to Carlisle before my bottle crashed lol.
                          If you want a decent cue or at least a playable cue for around that money get in touch with ADR on here what he doesn't know about what you can get for your money isn't worth knowing, I'm pretty sure he could sort you out.
                          could you stick up some decent full length pictures of the cue up, is it a different length/weight/ ballance point than your other cue? This can affect your cueing, just asking as your dad said putting the mini butt on seemed to help.
                          Ok mate I'll ask ADR if I get a new one, I'll get some daylight pics tomorrow,

Although I did play with it for a good year without any issues, so I dont think that will be the issue, but you're the expert man, I'm a bum when it comes to snooker

I'll get some pics of them side by side tomorrow

Wouldnt mind a one piece cue, for my next one,

Still can't understand it though, I've never misscued like this,

It definitely started after changing the tip, as far as I can remember, so I'm going to try changing it one last time,

Thanks again for your thoughtful replies I know I waffle on a bit,

watching MVG vs Smith, bet you are too lol

I've gone from spanking my mate and his maximus ultimate with my argos cues, to losing to my own fouls, very frustrating

Cheers

Comment

Ok mate I'll ask ADR if I get a new one, I'll get some daylight pics tomorrow,

Although I did play with it for a good year without any issues, so I dont think that will be the issue, but you're the expert man, I'm a bum when it comes to snooker

I'll get some pics of them side by side tomorrow

Wouldnt mind a one piece cue, for my next one,

Still can't understand it though, I've never misscued like this,

It definitely started after changing the tip, as far as I can remember, so I'm going to try changing it one last time,

Thanks again for your thoughtful replies I know I waffle on a bit,

watching MVG vs Smith, bet you are too lol

I've gone from spanking my mate and his maximus ultimate with my argos cues, to losing to my own fouls, very frustrating

Cheers

If you have been OK with the cue before, it really is a strange one, it's very hard to say what it can be without having the cue in your hand.
                            Ken Doherty won the WC with a cue that cost him 2 pound, he could spank everyone on here, the price of the cue means nothing. It's about the wizard not the wand lol.
                            I'm no expert ,I'm a half decent club banger but I cue ok.

Comment

If you have been OK with the cue before, it really is a strange one, it's very hard to say what it can be without having the cue in your hand.
                              Ken Doherty won the WC with a cue that cost him 2 pound, he could spank everyone on here, the price of the cue means nothing. It's about the wizard not the wand lol.
                              I'm no expert ,I'm a half decent club banger but I cue ok.
                              Yep makes no sense, complete mystery

Comment

Working...
                              X